PDA

View Full Version : copper cut nails/rivets

csrogers
03-26-2001, 05:46 PM
i am searching for a reasonable way to obtain 3 to 4" copper cut nails (square) of a size about 3/16" on an side. i would greatly appreciate any information on sources of nails for purchase, or for information on making nails from bar stock or other techniques. they are to be used as replacement fastenings in the restoration of a Swedish made vessel. also, what is the general opinion on using round nails as replacement rivets where the original rivets were square...?

thanks very much for any advice!

csrogers
i am searching for a reasonable way to obtain 3 to 4" copper cut nails (square) of a size about 3/16" on an side. i would greatly appreciate any information on sources of nails for purchase, or for information on making nails from bar stock or other techniques. they are to be used as replacement fastenings in the restoration of a Swedish made vessel. also, what is the general opinion on using round nails as replacement rivets where the original rivets were square...?

csrogers

Dale Harvey
03-26-2001, 07:46 PM
The nails you are looking for are likely by Mustad. I think Fairing Carries them and advertises in the magazine. Square hole round peg? Bigger nail will be required that will likely cost as much as the proper replacement and could require a bigger plug.

Dale Harvey
The nails you are looking for are likely by Mustad. I think Fairing Carries them and advertises in the magazine. Square hole round peg? Bigger nail will be required that will likely cost as much as the proper replacement and could require a bigger plug.

Dale Harvey

abe
03-26-2001, 08:30 PM
http://www.faeringdesign.qpg.com/page2.html

abe

abe

TimothyB
11-12-2004, 08:22 AM
Old post, I know but here is a correction to the website link:

http://www.faeringdesigninc.com/

Fantastic resource! I intend on getting a number of the copper ring nails for siding. It makes me very happy when niche businesses flourish enough to offer competitive prices.

They have square flathead and rosehead nails in many sizes, as well as roves for all sizes, clench nails, etc.

Plus, they are in the neighborhood! Maybe I'll take a trip up to Vermont to visit them and King Arthur's retail store. Yum.

--T

TimothyB

Fantastic resource! I intend on getting a number of the copper ring nails for siding. It makes me very happy when niche businesses flourish enough to offer competitive prices.

They have square flathead and rosehead nails in many sizes, as well as roves for all sizes, clench nails, etc.

Plus, they are in the neighborhood! Maybe I'll take a trip up to Vermont to visit them and King Arthur's retail store. Yum.

--T

TimothyB

--T

Wooden Boat Fittings
11-13-2004, 06:26 AM
Square-shank nails for riveting, ring nails for nailing. The diameter of the pilot hole for the rivet should be the same dimension as the square side of the nail -- or in your case, vice versa. (This will almost certainly mean bigger nails than originally used. Use some judgment.) Ideally, the arrises on the nail should cut into the wood around the hole as you drive it.

Rose head vs flat head is a matter of choice. I myself would always use flat heads, but some people think the rose head, standing proud, is more decorative.

Mike

Wooden Boat Fittings
Square-shank nails for riveting, ring nails for nailing. The diameter of the pilot hole for the rivet should be the same dimension as the square side of the nail -- or in your case, vice versa. (This will almost certainly mean bigger nails than originally used. Use some judgment.) Ideally, the arrises on the nail should cut into the wood around the hole as you drive it.

Rose head vs flat head is a matter of choice. I myself would always use flat heads, but some people think the rose head, standing proud, is more decorative.

Mike

Wooden Boat Fittings

Mike