PDA

View Full Version : I wanna go back to Hawaii

JimD
06-21-2015, 03:49 PM
I'm feeling a tad low and I just wanna get on one of these

http://d1l9zs272jkxri.cloudfront.net/blog/uploads/2012/08/Alaska-Airlines-over-Molokai-cliffs.jpg

land here

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1978580/images/o-DIAMOND-HEAD-HAWAII-facebook.jpg

hang a lei on The Duke

http://gr8traveltips.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Duke-Kahanamoku.jpg

listen to some big guy strum a ukulele

http://static.skynetblogs.be/media/44600/362420893.JPG

watch cutie pie polynesian gals dance the hula

http://www.lmprophoto.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Hawaii-Hula-Wedding-dance.jpg

and watch the sun go down

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8216/8260403279_64c176d7a2_z.jpg

Anyone with me?

CWSmith
06-21-2015, 03:59 PM
Kimchi and Portuguese sausage omelet on Kauai! After that, standing on a cliff and watching the whale spouts from there to the horizon. I was there for a week (to work) and loved it.

Rich Jones
06-21-2015, 04:19 PM
Me and the wife spent a week there last year. Nice, but not nice enough that I'd want to return any time soon. Lots of other places on this planet to explore.

Bill Griffin
06-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Yep, me too. it's a long haul from Maine though. Want to watch the sunrise over on Waimanaolo beach.

JimD
06-21-2015, 04:32 PM
Its a short cheap flight from the west coast. We've been 8 times.

Jim Bow
06-21-2015, 04:45 PM
On Kau'ai, we (65, haole, mainlanders) grabbed a chicken lunch from a food truck and sat down on a local's beach. A bunch of folks were staring, and finally a 20-something kid came up and flatly told us to leave and that we didn't belong there.

Left quite a bad feeling, won't be going back.

Dave Wright
06-21-2015, 04:57 PM
We've been going every second year since 1973, a long habit. We haven't bothered with any island other than Oahu for years now. We simply fly into Honolulu, pick up a rental car and drive to Kailua or Lanikai. We rent a room in a house (with bathroom and mini kitchen) and stay for two weeks. A block walk to the beach. The windward beaches are the best, few tourists, very few hotels, and you can't beat the beach from Lanikai to Kaneohe. Locals don't bother old folks dressed in ratty tee shirts and flip flops.

SMARTINSEN
06-21-2015, 04:59 PM
I have been through most all of the states, by far Hawaii had the worst roadside litter. Trashy.

bobbys
06-21-2015, 05:02 PM
I have been there 2 times, once with my wife's church group that is affiliated with a church there..
Honolulu .

2 time Maui.

Such a nice place,.

met many natives there that wished we would move there and be in their church.
. Some thought my wife was a native with her long black hair.
There is a strange vibe there I cannot pin down, it's like the whole place is filled with people vacationing , having fun while others are struggling..

Sorta like if one has money one is separated from reality.

I was fascinated with being able to wAlk right into the water.

I snorkels and saw fish..

Sure I met a few rude people that thought I did not belong there but met more like that in oregon. Lol

JimD
06-21-2015, 05:09 PM
On Kau'ai, we (65, haole, mainlanders) grabbed a chicken lunch from a food truck and sat down on a local's beach. A bunch of folks were staring, and finally a 20-something kid came up and flatly told us to leave and that we didn't belong there.

Left quite a bad feeling, won't be going back.Some of the locals do insist on keeping some areas reserved for themselves and tourist free. I understand your bad feeling, but I can't blame them, either.

JimD
06-21-2015, 05:15 PM
...Sure I met a few rude people that thought I did not belong there ...A common experience in Hawaii. Its never happened to me because we've always stuck to the tourist zones. It seems reasonable and fair to me that the natives insist on keeping some areas tourist free so it hasn't stopped us from going back and we'll keep going back as long as we can.

bobbys
06-21-2015, 05:17 PM
Some of the locals do insist on keeping some areas reserved for themselves and tourist free. I understand your bad feeling, but I can't blame them, either..

Well my dad did not wanna be there in ww2 as well before he went off to jump off landing crafts into machine gun fire.

JimD
06-21-2015, 05:39 PM

Well my dad did not wanna be there in ww2 as well before he went off to jump off landing crafts into machine gun fire.I think the Japanese now make up the largest segment of foreign tourists in Hawaii. Canada may be second.

Dave Wright
06-21-2015, 06:41 PM
We've done Hawaii in just about every way. In 1979 we decided that we were going to camp in the beach parks. Being methodical types we secured camping permits by mail for half a dozen beaches on big island. We took our tent, sleeping bags, stove, etc. The first night the wind was howling and we were having trouble keeping the tent down. We were also surprised at all of the garbage piled up in the out buildings.

It turned out that this was the year of the massive island wide garbage workers strike. A local tent dweller came over and told us that camping was banned. I said we have permits. He hadn"t ever heard of permits. He said a guy with a gun would come by after dark and force us to leave. Not to worry though he said. He and some other folks were going to go steal bananas and we were welcome to join them. We crawled back in our tent disconcerted. About ten PM an official came by, shone his flashlight in our tent and said sorry folks you have to leave. I showed him our official permits. He'd never heard of permits, told us all the beach parks were closed because of the garbage strike. He was very nice to us and just kept saying you have to leave. Meanwhile the banana thieves came over again and invited us to join them. We declined and spent a restless night in the tent.

Next day it blew and poured. 13 inches of rainfall over two days. We spent a couple of nights in bare campers cabins up in volcanoes park. Then we did cheap motels. Sightseeing was fun but the weather terrible. Finally we packed it in and flew to Waikiki and stayed in a higher end hotel by Diamond Head. Gorgeous, dry sunny weather and our trip was well salvaged.

The longest we've stayed was 30 days, we could have stayed longer. We were there when 911 occurred. We were supposed to leave 9/12 but all flights were cancelled, so we stayed a few more days. I think that's when we finally decided that we couldn't live there permanently - the place is great but too isolated for us. Once I spent six hours on Oahu. Flew over for work in the jump seat of a 737. The approach was spectacular, one that I always missed as a passenger. We flew in low over the Mokes off Lanikai, and I got to see my favorite shoreline and beaches, then up over the Pali, out past Kenai point, and a big loop into the airport - fantastic front seat views. Had to fly back out on the same plane that night. Hawaii is always a good time.

PeterSibley
06-21-2015, 07:03 PM
I think the Japanese now make up the largest segment of foreign tourists in Hawaii. Canada may be second.

Not that many Australians for some reason .

Off you go Jim.

JimD
06-21-2015, 07:18 PM
Not that many Australians for some reason .

Off you go Jim.Got something against Japanese and Canadian tourists, Peter?

ccmanuals
06-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Let me know if you need a place to stay.

One of my oldest friends owns this place (I did her website for her).

http://www.ahawaiibnb.com/

PeterSibley
06-21-2015, 07:23 PM
Not at all Jim, I was just implying that Australian's tend not to have that yearning for sun....we get enough already !

Jim Bow
06-21-2015, 07:24 PM
The Aussies have lots of little and close paradises. In the 1970s, William Manchester, the historian, revisited the spot where he was shot on Guadalcanal. He found the remainders of his foxhole in the backyard of a B&B full of vacationing Aussies.

Dave Wright
06-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Let me know if you need a place to stay.

One of my oldest friends owns this place (I did her website for her).

http://www.ahawaiibnb.com/

We stayed in the basement of a house (nicely finished and outfitted) just down the street from your friend's place. Lanikai is hard to beat. There are all sorts of hidden and non code permitted places to stay in Lanikai / Kailua. If I had to live there, that's where it would be.

Gerarddm
06-21-2015, 07:52 PM
I did like Maui when I was there 6 years ago.

JimD
06-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Not at all Jim, I was just implying that Australian's tend not to have that yearning for sun....we get enough already !Ah, got it. Yup, not much in Hawaii to travel all the way to the mid Pacific for that you don't already have at home. I'd go back to Australia again but its such a long trip for us. With Hawaii I can get on a plane in Canada in the morning and be on a beach on Oahu in the afternoon, vs about 20 hours or so in the air to get to Sydney or Brisbane.

ahp
06-21-2015, 08:39 PM
It would do a lot of people good to spend some time in Hawaii, not just the tourist traps, but to live there a little while and best of all work there. It would do the most good for us WASPs to be in a place where we are not a majority and some times are not liked very much. It can be an eye opener.

BrianY
06-21-2015, 09:09 PM
Been to Oahu twice, maui and the big island once. One of the best days of my life was spent snorkeling off a beach in Maui along side a pier. There was a local a his wife/girlfriend camped out on the beach under the pier. The were just hangin out and we got to chatting with them about the eels and the other fish we were seeing. The day was hot and there wasn't any shade on the beach except under the pier so the guy and his woman friend invited us over so my wife and I spread out our towels and we laid down a took a nap. Eventually the guy got up and said something about having to go to work. He grabbed a mask and snorkel and some fins and wandered over to the parking lot and a couple of minutes later a tour bus comes in filled with haoles and it turns out he's their snorkeling guide. They all splashed around while the wife and I and the girlfriend are snoozing in the shade under the pier, just hangin out enjoying the sound of the waves on the sand and totally relaxing.

I wanna go back to my little grass shack
in Keala kakua Hawaii.
I wanna be with all the Kane's and Wahines I used to know.
I long to hear the old guitars a playin'
On the beach at ho o naunau
I wanna hear the old hawaiian sayin'
komo mai no kaua ika hale wellakahau

PeterSibley
06-21-2015, 09:21 PM
Ah, got it. Yup, not much in Hawaii to travel all the way to the mid Pacific for that you don't already have at home. I'd go back to Australia again but its such a long trip for us. With Hawaii I can get on a plane in Canada in the morning and be on a beach on Oahu in the afternoon, vs about 20 hours or so in the air to get to Sydney or Brisbane.

It's an hour and a half in a car to Brisbane for me .

JimD
06-21-2015, 09:34 PM
It's an hour and a half in a car to Brisbane for me .
My nephew and his family are in Brisbane. They arrive on Vancouver Island tomorrow. I haven't seen him since his dad (my brother) died over a decade ago. That was the last time I was in Australia.

bobbys
06-21-2015, 09:34 PM
Son lived in Kailua while a pro kite surfer..

Best beach and wind there.

One day he rode his MC and stopped at a light.

6 Hawaiians tried to car jack him and beat him up.

Now my son is very easy going but he loves his toys.

He fought all of them at once, remember he was in top shape and a big guy.

he fought and fought even while they busted beer bottle s on his head..

He fought them all untill some others helped.

He had to go to the hospital..

He kept his MC.

I asked him why did you take your helmut off?.

He did not think all were going to get him..

They picked the wrong guy that time and he gave as good as he got..

PeterSibley
06-21-2015, 09:36 PM
My nephew and his family are in Brisbane. They arrive on Vancouver Island tomorrow. I haven't seen him since his dad (my brother) died over a decade ago. That was the last time I was in Australia.

Vancouver is a long way away for me, I do have a cousin there though.

JimD
06-21-2015, 09:44 PM
Vancouver is a couple hours by ferry from us. Of course there are planes but you can't drive your car onto them.

oldsub86
06-21-2015, 10:07 PM
Its a short cheap flight from the west coast. We've been 8 times.

Between 5 and 6 hours from Vancouver as I recall. That is long enough for me.

However, I would like to go again.

L.W. Baxter
06-21-2015, 10:08 PM
We have had one stay in Oahu and one on Maui. Loved it.

The next time I visit I intend to arrive by boat.