PDA

View Full Version : handgun Question for Phillip..

bobbys
06-20-2015, 05:03 PM
I have a 357 revolver, I shot it once and the recoil was such I did not want to shoot it again.

I read one can use a 38 round instead.

Also what is the safest way to carry a revolver, The hammer on a empty chamber?..
I'm going hiking where Cougars were seen.

seanz
06-20-2015, 05:05 PM
Taking a handgun to a bar is just asking for trouble...

Paul Pless
06-20-2015, 05:06 PM
Also what is the safest way to carry a revolver, The hammer on a empty chamber?..
I'm going hiking where Cougars were seen.you'll shoot your eye out

besides why would you be skeered of cougars???

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/25/article-2612792-1D54FBFC00000578-405_634x896.jpg

bobbys
06-20-2015, 05:12 PM
If ya have to ask, maybe you should leave it locked away.

I only have hunting rifles, why would I know ballistic information on all guns, I'm just making sure, what's wrong with that?

Phillip Allen
06-20-2015, 05:21 PM

I only have hunting rifles, why would I know ballistic information on all guns, I'm just making sure, what's wrong with that?

nothing wrong with that... .357/.38 is an exception... same caliber and the one (.357) is just a slightly longer version of the other... one may shoot .38's in a .357 but NOT the other way around! there are a few similar exceptions but, overall, not many

bobbys
06-20-2015, 05:24 PM
If ya have to ask, maybe you should leave it locked away..

O by the way it is locked away untill I get all the proper information.

I only even have this gun is because my good friend was dieing of cancer and wanted money to pay for his own funeral..

Phillip Allen
06-20-2015, 05:33 PM

O by the way it is locked away untill I get all the proper information.

I only even have this gun is because my good friend was dieing of cancer and wanted money to pay for his own funeral..
if you don't handload then shoot .38's in it... much more better

if you learn to fire accurately in a hurry-up situation, they'll work on the big cats too

be very careful with 'other people's' handloads...

Glen Longino
06-20-2015, 05:38 PM
You won't need a gun to keep cougars away from you.
Just start talking politics as you walk along and no cougar will get within 5 miles of you!:)
If you must take a handgun, just use .38s in your magnum as Phillip said.

Phillip Allen
06-20-2015, 05:40 PM
a little back ground info

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_.38/44

jonboy
06-20-2015, 05:43 PM
pop into the local church and ask their opinion

Phillip Allen
06-20-2015, 05:45 PM
I was not referring to the round, but this last part.

that varies with make and model of revolver

having said that... carry it on an empty chamber if ya want... ya have a 5 shooter instead of a 6 shooter...that's all

Captain Intrepid
06-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Be a responsible hiker and you won't have any problems with cougars, gun or no gun.

Ian McColgin
06-20-2015, 05:52 PM
Different predators require different strategies, but if you read up on in the less than two dozen Americans in the last quite a few decades who were killed by cougars were either children or people whom the cougar seems to have figured was easy prey, like seemed like running away. People who have met cougars and walked away, as my I did forty years ago, generally succeeded by aggressivly facing the cougar, making some noise, and brandishing anything that looks like a weapon - in my case an ice ax. Unless you are very skilled with a handgun, your ability to get it out and properly aimed in the time available is doubtful.

Phillip Allen
06-20-2015, 05:52 PM
"Also what is the safest way to carry a revolver, The hammer on a empty chamber?..
I'm going hiking where Cougars were seen."

I can tell the difference and no doubt Paul can as well as others here. that said, I recommend that you don't trust us and go straight to the manufacturer with an email or other sort of correspondence... that cuts out all sorts of negative possibilities. they'll need model and possibility serial number

Peerie Maa
06-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Learn to ride ;)
http://truthorfictioncom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/mule3.jpg

Phillip Allen
06-20-2015, 05:59 PM
Learn to ride ;)
http://truthorfictioncom.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/mule3.jpg

looks to me like the mule is armed too

I've seen that before and always feel kind of sorry for the cat

Paul Pless
06-20-2015, 06:14 PM
uncocked hammer on empty chamber.unnecessary on most modern revolvers, per phillip's suggestion most manufacturers have their manuals online to verify safe handling

jonboy
06-20-2015, 06:15 PM
Don't feel sorry for cats they can look after themselves ...and if they can't, good, one less cat.

Glen Longino
06-20-2015, 06:21 PM
There is a very good story/joke about a Texas cougar and a New Mexico cougar who meet up out on the state border.
Wish I could recall it! I'll go to google!

skuthorp
06-20-2015, 06:26 PM
Do you want to kill said cougar or scare it away? Are you good enough a shot in a crisis to hit it? Thunderflashes might seem a better option. Safer all round.

Donn
06-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Get a couple boxes of these. CCI makes them.

http://cdn.theboxotruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/30-6.jpg

Paul Pless
06-20-2015, 06:39 PM
worthless

Donn
06-20-2015, 06:47 PM
worthless

Your opinion?

Paul Pless
06-20-2015, 06:54 PM
yes

Donn
06-20-2015, 06:58 PM
worthless

Your opinion?

yes

I agree.

Glen Longino
06-20-2015, 07:00 PM
worthless

Give this some thought!
Do we want bobbys slinging deadly bullets or do we want him making lots of noise and smoke and flash as usual?

SMARTINSEN
06-20-2015, 07:02 PM
There is a very good story/joke about a Texas cougar and a New Mexico cougar who meet up out on the state border.
Wish I could recall it! I'll go to google!

There were the two mountain lions, one that lived in New Mexico and the other that lived in Texas. They would meet occasionally on the border to check and see how the other was doing and just chat. Well, it was late Fall and Winter was coming and they agreed to meet back at the border on the first day of Spring to see how the other had fared through the winter. The first day of Spring came and the New Mexico mountian lion arrived bright and early at the border to meet his friend. It wasn't untli late in the afternoon when the Texas mountian lion came wandering in, extremely malnourished with his ribs visible. "Man, what happened? Doesn't look like you had much to eat this winter!" said the New Mexico mountion lion. "No, I actually ate just about every day." "What were you eating?" "Cowboys" "Well how were you hunting them?" "I would sit up on a big rock and wait for them to come riding by on their horses. When they'd get close enough I'd let out a loud roar, jump from the rock and knock them off their horse to the ground." "Ah, now I see your problem. When you roared you scared the **** out of them and when you knocked them to the ground you knocked all the wind out of them. That only left you with a hat, belt buckle and pair of boots!"

Chip-skiff
06-20-2015, 07:10 PM
After spending much of my life in wild country inhabited by cougars, black bears, and griz, with no firearm of any sort, this sort of thing seems like a childish terror: lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

For reference, I searched "handgun for cougar defense" and looked at the first dozen hits (of thousands). The .357 mag seems to be the first choice, but some favor larger calibers. There was considerable bloviation on where to shoot the cougar (the forehead is much esteemed).

But in no case had any of those posting advice actually shot at (let alone killed) a cougar. Nor, in fact, seen one in the wild.

The fantasy life of gun guys is a study in itself.

Dave Wright
06-20-2015, 07:11 PM

That may not be necessary. Look at the damn thing. Does it have a transfer bar? Unload it and cycle it a couple of times and make sure.

http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesFeatures/H_Transferbar.jpg

Glen Longino
06-20-2015, 07:17 PM
There were the two mountain lions, one that lived in New Mexico and the other that lived in Texas. They would meet occasionally on the border to check and see how the other was doing and just chat. Well, it was late Fall and Winter was coming and they agreed to meet back at the border on the first day of Spring to see how the other had fared through the winter. The first day of Spring came and the New Mexico mountian lion arrived bright and early at the border to meet his friend. It wasn't untli late in the afternoon when the Texas mountian lion came wandering in, extremely malnourished with his ribs visible. "Man, what happened? Doesn't look like you had much to eat this winter!" said the New Mexico mountion lion. "No, I actually ate just about every day." "What were you eating?" "Cowboys" "Well how were you hunting them?" "I would sit up on a big rock and wait for them to come riding by on their horses. When they'd get close enough I'd let out a loud roar, jump from the rock and knock them off their horse to the ground." "Ah, now I see your problem. When you roared you scared the **** out of them and when you knocked them to the ground you knocked all the wind out of them. That only left you with a hat, belt buckle and pair of boots!"

Thank you, Sir!
I did recall that I had read it in a Cormac McCarthy novel, "The Crossing", but I had not hunted it down.

Curtism
06-20-2015, 07:25 PM
Thank you, Sir!

Is this place great, or what?

seanz
06-20-2015, 08:04 PM
After spending much of my life in wild country inhabited by cougars, black bears, and griz, with no firearm of any sort, this sort of thing seems like a childish terror: lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

For reference, I searched "handgun for cougar defense" and looked at the first dozen hits (of thousands). The .357 mag seems to be the first choice, but some favor larger calibers. There was considerable bloviation on where to shoot the cougar (the forehead is much esteemed).

But in no case had any of those posting advice actually shot at (let alone killed) a cougar. Nor, in fact, seen one in the wild.

I have a strong sense of Deja Voodoo and it's telling me that bobbys has asked this question before...

...maybe he's just fantasizing about going for a hike?

Glen Longino
06-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Is this place great, or what?

:)Dang right it is!:)

TerryLL
06-20-2015, 08:51 PM
I have a strong sense of Deja Voodoo and it's telling me that bobbys has asked this question before...

...maybe he's just fantasizing about going for a hike?

I suspect the fantasy is about cougars (both kinds), and not guns or hikes.

Steve McMahon
06-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Cripes, now it's fear of cats driving the Rambo fantasies. Forget the 357, you need a RPG launcher, they must be protected under the 2nd amendment aren't they? Darwin would be amused.

TerryLL
06-20-2015, 09:11 PM
I had a conversation with a retired Fish and Wildlife officer a few years ago about cougars. He'd had many close encounters during his career, but had never been attacked and never had to shoot one. I've had the same experience with both Black bears and Alaska Brownies.

htom
06-20-2015, 09:16 PM
You can shoot normal .38 Special rounds in a revolver chambered for .357 Mag. Other firearms may have problems for various reasons. That usually takes much of the bite out of the recoil.

Hammer down in a retention holster. Beyond that, ask the manufacturer.

Those look like snake-shot loads; useful for snakes if they must be shot, not much else.

bobbys
06-20-2015, 09:17 PM
you'll shoot your eye out

besides why would you be skeered of cougars???

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/25/article-2612792-1D54FBFC00000578-405_634x896.jpg.

Woof woof!

bobbys
06-20-2015, 09:18 PM
You won't need a gun to keep cougars away from you.
Just start talking politics as you walk along and no cougar will get within 5 miles of you!:)
If you must take a handgun, just use .38s in your magnum as Phillip said..

Do I bring up the civil war or show Keith graphs?

bobbys
06-20-2015, 09:19 PM
pop into the local church and ask their opinion

I do not go on snake handling night.

bobbys
06-20-2015, 09:22 PM
Different predators require different strategies, but if you read up on in the less than two dozen Americans in the last quite a few decades who were killed by cougars were either children or people whom the cougar seems to have figured was easy prey, like seemed like running away. People who have met cougars and walked away, as my I did forty years ago, generally succeeded by aggressivly facing the cougar, making some noise, and brandishing anything that looks like a weapon - in my case an ice ax. Unless you are very skilled with a handgun, your ability to get it out and properly aimed in the time available is doubtful.

I came on them 3 times, One thing I can see is they could leap 20 feet in the blink of a eye.

I want to ride a mountain bike up the logging roads up to a fishing hole, this is what bothers me.

bobbys
06-20-2015, 09:23 PM

http://cdn.theboxotruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/30-6.jpg..

Brilliant idea!

bobbys
06-20-2015, 09:29 PM

The fantasy life of gun guys is a study in itself..

true story we went on our honeymoon camping, Set up a pup tent, A bear came out of the woods and tore everything apart, Visited my folks before they passed in New Jersey, bears went through garbage down the street, I pondered walking around at night.

Last year a bear killed and ate a guy a mile away..

I have seen 3 Cougars in the woods..

I'm only hopeing the noise would work.

Prolly a cat would get me long before I ever saw it..

However it's just a matter of time before someone gets killed.

Phillip Allen
06-20-2015, 09:35 PM

http://cdn.theboxotruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/30-6.jpg

Brilliant idea!

I load my own... .44 and .38 and .45 colt

Glen Longino
06-20-2015, 09:36 PM
They are in the trees and on the cliffs, bobbys.
They are watching you, stalking you, and licking their evil lips, and twitching their tail...tic toc...tic toc!
They are waiting for you, bobby burger!:)

bobbys
06-20-2015, 09:37 PM
Is this place great, or what?.

Now you know why I only asked PA and everyone else ignored instructions..

Glen refuses to play by the rules!

Phillip Allen
06-20-2015, 09:37 PM
worthless

they work well... ya gotta be close and if you're not close then you got no business shooting them to begin with

edited to add: I was thinking of snakes not lions... for lions, two rounds of snake shot and the remainder regular bullets... if the snake shot don't scare it off (don't shoot directly at it... no sense in blinding it and cause it to start hunting easy prey)

Phillip Allen
06-20-2015, 09:38 PM

he's a hat by choice

Glen Longino
06-20-2015, 09:43 PM

I gave you good advice..
Don't blame me if a cougar takes advantage of an easy Joisey Boy meal wandering aimlessly out there in the badlands.
Hell, that's what cougars do!:)

Phillip Allen
06-20-2015, 09:45 PM

the cats don't scare me much but bears are a little different... still, were I to have said revolver with me and a bear appeared, first I'd try to avoid shooting it... if there's no need, then there's no need and I enjoy seeing the critters in the wild

Phillip Allen
06-20-2015, 09:46 PM
That may not be necessary. Look at the damn thing. Does it have a transfer bar? Unload it and cycle it a couple of times and make sure.

http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesFeatures/H_Transferbar.jpg

I left that out to avoid getting things complicated... 5 shots are enough

bobbys
06-20-2015, 09:49 PM
I gave you good advice..
Don't blame me if a cougar takes advantage of an easy Joisey Boy meal wandering aimlessly out there in the badlands.
Hell, that's what cougars do!:)

I walked up to a badger once, We had a south of the border standoff, I DID tawk jersey to him, I sez don't mess wit me and I won't mess wit you, he understood me and we both walked back..

man he was a mean looking critter.

Glen Longino
06-20-2015, 09:52 PM
he's a hat by choice

You're a hat by compulsion, predilection, and hubris!

Glen Longino
06-20-2015, 09:57 PM

I walked up to a badger once, We had a south of the border standoff, I DID tawk jersey to him, I sez don't mess wit me and I won't mess wit you, he understood me and we both walked back..

man he was a mean looking critter.

Lucky you escaped with your hide intact.
Have you had any dangerous squirrel confrontations? Field mice? Moles?

Ian McColgin
06-20-2015, 10:08 PM
A number of rapidly moving people - skiier, jogger, cyclist - have been mortally attacked by cougars in recent years so we must assume that at least to some animals such people do not look too large, too fast, or too threatening to take on. I really can't see shooting a cougar in mid spring with a rapidly drawn handgun while biking a logging road. A person walking - a pace that allows greater attention to the total situation than faster paces - is safer if only by virtue of having time to anticipate a cougar.

I never liked the common advice for bears - make noise, bells on your feet or chat or sing - so they have a chance to avoid you because the noise interferes with my enjoyment. The same problem might occur as a reason to avoid noisemaking on a bike, like having a playing card clatter on the spokes. And I've no idea whether cougars upon hearing a noisy person will get out of the way anyhow. Rather than drag a firearm along, I'd spend some time with someone who really has deep experience with cat behavior.

Phillip Allen
06-20-2015, 10:10 PM
A number of rapidly moving people - skiier, jogger, cyclist - have been mortally attacked by cougars in recent years so we must assume that at least to some animals such people do not look too large, too fast, or too threatening to take on. I really can't see shooting a cougar in mid spring with a rapidly drawn handgun while biking a logging road. A person walking - a pace that allows greater attention to the total situation than faster paces - is safer if only by virtue of having time to anticipate a cougar.

I never liked the common advice for bears - make noise, bells on your feet or chat or sing - so they have a chance to avoid you because the noise interferes with my enjoyment. The same problem might occur as a reason to avoid noisemaking on a bike, like having a playing card clatter on the spokes. And I've no idea whether cougars upon hearing a noisy person will get out of the way anyhow. Rather than drag a firearm along, I'd spend some time with someone who really has deep experience with cat behavior.

what if your last suggestion is impractical?

Glen Longino
06-20-2015, 10:19 PM
Cougars are notoriously languid.
Any adult human dumb enough to be killed and eaten by a cougar gets my vote for a Darwin Award.
This means you, bobbys! You too, Phillip!

Glen Longino
06-20-2015, 10:36 PM
what if your last suggestion is impractical?

Ha! Stay away from cougars, genius! HA!:)

Dave Wright
06-20-2015, 10:37 PM
Bobbys is not going to see any cougars. I've seen two in Washington state in the last 40 years. One in a wilderness area and one in a farming area. In both cases they moved so fast across the trail that they were almost beyond recognition. They don't want anything to do with people, particlarly smelly old tarry roofers.

Glen Longino
06-20-2015, 10:42 PM
:):) Too funny!
Every cougar in the territory has likely heard that bobbys is coming and has taken cover.
Can you imagine how hungry a poor cougar would have to be to eat bobbys? :)

bobbys
06-20-2015, 11:02 PM
funny, I should be paid to entertains youse all.

Glen Longino
06-20-2015, 11:06 PM
funny, I should be paid to entertains youse all.

Check is in the mail!

Ian McColgin
06-20-2015, 11:07 PM
"what if your last suggestion is impractical?" [#59]

Well, I can't imagine that to "spend some time with someone who really has deep experience with cat behavior" could be impractical, but if learning anything is impractical, by all means go in ignorence.

Glen Longino
06-20-2015, 11:17 PM
:):):)

Memphis Mike
06-20-2015, 11:30 PM
What kind of man can't handle the recoil of a 357? A whiney little sissy pants. That's what kind.

Canoeyawl
06-20-2015, 11:41 PM
I see them once in a while, but they become invisible in a split-second. Maybe you get a glimpse of the tail.
They really like cat-napping in the sun on my neighbors deck, and they enjoy small dogs and house cats.

Never seen one while hiking, even though they are close by. The population here is healthy and well monitored.
This guy is about fifty feet up. For exercise, I hike a couple of miles every other day through these woods.

http://santacruzpumas.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/image-3.jpeg

Glen Longino
06-20-2015, 11:47 PM
What kind of man can't handle the recoil of a 357? A whiney little sissy pants. That's what kind.

:):):)

seanz
06-20-2015, 11:49 PM

Would a pickelhaube be a suitable solution in that situation. I'm pretty sure bobbys already has one of those.

bobbys
06-20-2015, 11:52 PM
Neighbors dad is a gov trapper with dogs..

They found where a cougar killed a full grown elk and dragged it one hundred yards...

It waited in a tree then jumped and killed the elk.

I was invited to go along but I'm not that interested..

I could have sworn one was in the yard but it moved so fast my eyes could not see for sure..

Pretty sure as one was spotted on the street here, the school is here as well.

bobbys
06-20-2015, 11:56 PM

Pretty tough recoil, the problem was not being "man " enough , it was I doubt I would hit anything..

However Im secure in my manhood, Once I went with my wife shoe shopping..

Glen Longino
06-21-2015, 12:03 AM
Neighbors dad is a gov trapper with dogs..

They found where a cougar killed a full grown elk and dragged it one hundred yards...

It waited in a tree then jumped and killed the elk.

I was invited to go along but I'm not that interested..

I could have sworn one was in the yard but it moved so fast my eyes could not see for sure..

Pretty sure as one was spotted on the street here, the school is here as well.

BS...no cougar can drag a full grown elk a hundred yards.
Did you read that on Brietbart?

bobbys
06-21-2015, 12:06 AM
BS...no cougar can drag a full grown elk a hundred yards.
Did you read that on Brietbart?

O I believe him he is a pro.

bobbys
06-21-2015, 12:09 AM

Would a pickelhaube be a suitable solution in that situation. I'm pretty sure bobbys already has one of those..

No not yet, I only have a ww2 K bar knife and a german bayonet.

A ww2 friend of mine that was in the band of brothers gave it to me..

he was one hard core dude..

He had all kinds of scars from fighting with SS troopers hand to hand.

I did not ask him if that was a knife he took from then.

goodbasil
06-21-2015, 12:45 AM
I've fired .38 in a .357. Works okay.
As for recoil, a .357 is pretty easy to keep on target. Try a .44 Magnum.

As I said in an old thread about polar bears,
I'd rather hit the bear once with a .357 which reacts in a civil manner,
Than miss 5 times with a .44 Magnum that won't behave its self.

Take a couple of more shots with a .357, maybe your not holding it right.

And keep the hammer down on an empty chamber.

As a 107 year old man told me, if you ride a horse with a full chamber you'll shoot a toe off. (He was born in 1855.

The Bigfella
06-21-2015, 01:02 AM
Geez, now I understand why you guys have guns. You should come to Australia instead. The wildlife in Oz is friendly and you don't need guns

goodbasil
06-21-2015, 01:42 AM
One was shot here about 10 days ago. Was eating cats and racoons. It was near a school. They figured it had young nearby.

Experts say, make yourself look big, DON'T TURN YOUR BACK TO THEM, Scream and wave your arms. DON'T RUN.

They're are about 3,500 in B.C.

leikec
06-21-2015, 01:55 AM
I have a 357 revolver, I shot it once and the recoil was such I did not want to shoot it again.

I read one can use a 38 round instead.

I'm going hiking where Cougars were seen.

Better to leave the gun home. You are more likely to die from an accident in your bathtub than from a cougar attack...

Jeff C

Phillip Allen
06-21-2015, 01:59 AM
Bobbys is not going to see any cougars. I've seen two in Washington state in the last 40 years. One in a wilderness area and one in a farming area. In both cases they moved so fast across the trail that they were almost beyond recognition. They don't want anything to do with people, particlarly smelly old tarry roofers.

I think I saw one here once, they're around, but it really was just a streak... I was target shooting and when I fired the first shot... it was off like a shot

Phillip Allen
06-21-2015, 02:00 AM

Well, I can't imagine that to "spend some time with someone who really has deep experience with cat behavior" could be impractical, but if learning anything is impractical, by all means go in ignorence.

don't be silly, Ian. I know no one at all who fits that description... Bobbys may not either...

Glen Longino
06-21-2015, 02:02 AM
Better to leave the gun home. You are more likely to die from an accident in your bathtub than from a cougar attack...

Jeff C
Aw hell, why did you have to warn him?
Ya danged Humanitarian!:)

Phillip Allen
06-21-2015, 02:03 AM
I see them once in a while, but they become invisible in a split-second. Maybe you get a glimpse of the tail.
They really like cat-napping in the sun on my neighbors deck, and they enjoy small dogs and house cats.

Never seen one while hiking, even though they are close by. The population here is healthy and well monitored.
This guy is about fifty feet up. For exercise, I hike a couple of miles every other day through these woods.

it'd tickle the dickens outa me to see one... bears too

Ian McColgin
06-21-2015, 09:39 AM
"don't be silly, Ian." [#80]

Phillip, you're the one who referenced the "last suggestion". Did you mean some other "last suggestion"? Or are you just posing random and pointless insults for fun.

bobbys
06-21-2015, 11:04 AM
Geez, now I understand why you guys have guns. You should come to Australia instead. The wildlife in Oz is friendly and you don't need guns.

8 years ago I went fishing , Pretty remote spot, A guy was by the road with a Trooper, It seems a cougar attacked his dog while he was fishing, The guy did have a gun and shot at it and scared it off, Me being me ran up to find the tracks..

It was true ..

I have been worried to go there since..

Downstream years later I was fishing with my dog when he started barking at the heavy brush behind me..

Who knows what was there but I left..

Strange thing is before he barked the hair went up on the back of my neck.

A warning.

bobbys
06-21-2015, 11:12 AM

Well, I can't imagine that to "spend some time with someone who really has deep experience with cat behavior" could be impractical, but if learning anything is impractical, by all means go in ignorence..

Well my son is a hunting guide..

We Go above Cannon Beach hunting..

I have seen bears but a bear is the last thing I want to shoot.

Unless I can eat it Im not intrested in killing it..

I have him the pistol when he guided but he gave it back because he sold his house.

It's locked up with the ammo outside in the shed..

I have never carried a pistol anywhere before..

I just have rifles.

Canoeyawl
06-21-2015, 11:18 AM

Strange thing is before he barked the hair went up on the back of my neck.

A warning.

Most likely a mosquito...

Being frightened is being foolish, being educated about your fear is smarter.

It should be easy to learn how many attacks on humans by wild cats have taken place in the area you are contemplating going to. In western Oregon it is more likely you will be accidentally shot by a liberal poacher, than attacked by a cat.

If you are carrying a gun, it is far more likely you will shoot yourself.

edit; a three second search shows...

State wildlife officials: No mountain lion attacks on people on record in Oregon

http://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/2399533-151/coexisting-with-cougars#

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
06-21-2015, 11:51 AM
https://answeritsa.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/cougar.jpg

Paul Pless
06-21-2015, 12:08 PM
State wildlife officials: No mountain lion attacks on people on record in Oregoni thought this thread was about cougars

Ian McColgin
06-21-2015, 12:17 PM
And puma and catamount and any other local name you have for puma concolor.

Chip-skiff
06-21-2015, 12:18 PM
Being frightened is being foolish, being educated about your fear is smarter.

It should be easy to learn how many attacks on humans by wild cats have taken place in the area you are contemplating going to. In western Oregon it is more likely you will be accidentally shot by a liberal poacher, than attacked by a cat.

If you are carrying a gun, it is far more likely you will shoot yourself.

edit; a three second search shows...

State wildlife officials: No mountain lion attacks on people on record in Oregon

http://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/2399533-151/coexisting-with-cougars#

As a camptender and horsepacker, Forest Service range rider and later a backcountry ranger, I lived in the mountains near Yellowstone for twenty-odd years, with cougars, black bears, and griz bears. Rather than carry a firearm (which I'd never have used), I studied the habits of those critters and learned to recognize the tracks and the signs that meant I was in places they regularly used. Basically, I learned to stay out of their way and to avoid making camp near foraging areas such as spawning streams, cone caches and berry patches.

Cougars are more active from dusk through dawn. They like to leap on prey from a height (tree branch or rock face near a trail) so be cautious in such spots. Like most large predators, they also give chase to fleeing prey, so running away is likely to draw an attack. Don't take a dog on the hike. Typical scenario: dog barks and dashes into the brush, then dashes out yelping with a cougar in pursuit, and hides behind you. That happened to a friend, who fended off the big cat with his mountain bike while picking up rocks with his free hand and chucking them, yelling like a madman (SHOO!).

There are drills of what to do when confronted by large predators, different for each species. Pretty easy to find that info online or in books, so I won't repeat it at length.

One odd bit for cougars that I heard or read someplace is to paint a big pair of eyes on the back of your hat (or jacket). Hard to say if that sort of thing works.

https://www.veseys.com/assets/images/products/small/924.jpg

Phillip Allen
06-21-2015, 12:59 PM
"don't be silly, Ian." [#80]

Phillip, you're the one who referenced the "last suggestion". Did you mean some other "last suggestion"? Or are you just posing random and pointless insults for fun.

spending time with a lion expert is impractical for most people... there aren't that many standing on street corners looking for employent

Canoeyawl
06-21-2015, 01:05 PM
spending time with a lion expert is impractical for most people... there aren't that many standing on street corners looking for employent

Google works...
You can even find firearms experts there

Ian McColgin
06-21-2015, 01:36 PM
Ah Phillip, perhaps you're not reading with attention. We've at least one on this Forum. In addition, between federal and state forest services, natural resourses departments and fish and wildlife, not to mention every country extension agent, there are numerous qualified experts all around. One must be willful to remain ignorent or to think that a little education is inconvenient given the abundance of resourses ready at hand.

If it's inconvenient for you to recognize how numbly wrong you are on this, pity.

Phillip Allen
06-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Ah Phillip, perhaps you're not reading with attention. We've at least one on this Forum. In addition, between federal and state forest services, natural resourses departments and fish and wildlife, not to mention every country extension agent, there are numerous qualified experts all around. One must be willful to remain ignorent or to think that a little education is inconvenient given the abundance of resourses ready at hand.

If it's inconvenient for you to recognize how numbly wrong you are on this, pity.

so... use up your vacation visiting someone half a continent away or even a day's drive away... impractical still with obvious exceptions (if you live very near to the fabled expert)... 'spending time with' means in physical proximity

Ian McColgin
06-21-2015, 01:44 PM
Phillip, not knowing is not the same as not being wrong.

Phillip Allen
06-21-2015, 01:46 PM
ARGGG... he got me!

Canoeyawl
06-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Phillip, not knowing is not the same as not being wrong.

Excepting lawyers of course...
(that was a joke)

BrianW
06-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Sometimes you don't have to go in the woods to find big critters...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BrianW/Sitka%202014/housebear_zps4088e91f.jpg

So it pays to be prepared.

bobbys
06-22-2015, 10:41 AM
I asked my brother who lives in alaska what's handgun should one have there.

he said but a .44 magnum.

File off the front sights.

I asked why file off the front sights?.

He replied when a bear comes at you fast wanting to eat you, you will not scratch Yer lips. when you put the pistol in Yer mouth..

Yuk yuk

TerryLL
06-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Not far from the truth. When Timothy Treadwell and Amie Huguenard were being eaten alive by a bear in Katmai, I suspect they were wishing for one of those pistols to ease their exit.

BrianW
06-22-2015, 01:07 PM
I have a friend in Kodiak who used a Freedom Arms revolver (excellent firearms) chambered in 454 Casull to kill a sow that charged him near the Buskin River.

He was rabbit hunting, and carrying a .22lr rifle.

The sow was not doing well, and had cubs, who were also later killed. Not a happy story. But that's how it goes.

Paul Pless
06-22-2015, 02:05 PM
I have a friend in Kodiak who used a Freedom Arms revolver (excellent firearms) chambered in 454 Casull to kill a sow that charged him near the Buskin River.

He was rabbit hunting, and carrying a .22lr rifle.

The sow was not doing well, and had cubs, who were also later killed. Not a happy story. But that's how it goes.

Those Freedom Arms guns are high industrial art. If I ever buy another hunting handgun it will be between them and Bowen Classic Arms. I think the Bowens are no t quite as beefy, but they sure are pretty.

Paul Pless
06-22-2015, 02:09 PM
Holy cow wow, check this out, Bowen is now doing customs based on Freedom Arms guns.

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/image/workshop/Custom_Freedom_Arms_327_convert.jpg

John of Phoenix
06-22-2015, 02:27 PM
You're afraid of the recoil of a .375 but you want to hang out in cougar country. Brilliant.

TerryLL
06-22-2015, 02:34 PM
I have a Ruger .44 Mag Bicentennial that I carried all over Alaska. I never had to use it, but it sure gave me great peace of mind doing salmon stream surveys for ADF&G. I was on a crew and my particular job was to tramp the tall grass along the stream and count the number of partially eaten salmon. The last time I shot it was about ten years ago, and I really have no use for it these days. But I keep it to remind myself how brave and stupid I once was.

Captain Intrepid
06-22-2015, 02:39 PM
You're afraid of the recoil of a .375 but you want to hang out in cougar country. Brilliant.

To be fair, the .375 is much more dangerous than any cougar.

delecta
06-22-2015, 02:58 PM
To be fair, the .375 is much more dangerous than any cougar.

There is nothing fair or intelligent in that post.

John of Phoenix
06-22-2015, 03:03 PM
There is nothing fair or intelligent in that post....that you can discern.

Bobby of Tulsa
06-22-2015, 03:09 PM
You're afraid of the recoil of a .375 but you want to hang out in cougar country. Brilliant. :):):)

TerryLL
06-22-2015, 03:10 PM

But statistically correct if you compare the number of self-inflicted handgun accidents and the number of persons attacked by cougars. Last time I looked the number of handgun accidental deaths was about 600 for every 1 death due to wild animal attack, not including domestic dogs, which account for the vast majority of animal-caused deaths in the US.

Captain Intrepid
06-22-2015, 03:18 PM

Lets say on average there are 30000 gun related deaths in the USA per year. Since the turn of the century that equals about 420000 deaths. Lets be generous and round it down to 400000.

In the same time frame there has been a single fatal cougar attack in the USA.

bobbys
06-22-2015, 03:19 PM

I'm curious why you stalk me on this forum with snippy remarks?

John of Phoenix
06-22-2015, 03:20 PM
I'm curious why you stalk me on this forum with snippy remarks?Stalking? You're paranoid.

Phillip Allen
06-22-2015, 05:41 PM
Stalking? You're paranoid.

no... you're a stalker

Phillip Allen
06-22-2015, 05:43 PM
Lets say on average there are 30000 gun related deaths in the USA per year. Since the turn of the century that equals about 420000 deaths. Lets be generous and round it down to 400000.

In the same time frame there has been a single fatal cougar attack in the USA.

What??? you mean there's been no suicide by cougar???

Phillip Allen
06-22-2015, 05:45 PM

I'm curious why you stalk me on this forum with snippy remarks?

the truth is quite fluid here in the bilge... you said you didn't feel comfortable with the recoil of a .357 magnum handgun and now he's jumped to claiming you complained about the recoil of an elephant RIFLE! :)

Captain Intrepid
06-22-2015, 06:01 PM
What??? you mean there's been no suicide by cougar???

I don't believe that owning a cougar increases your chances of suicide like owning a gun does.

Phillip Allen
06-22-2015, 06:04 PM
I don't believe that owning a cougar increases your chances of suicide like owning a gun does.

your gun-death numbers are primarily suicide... how do you reconcile the non-suicide numbers of cougar-asisted suicide with your misrepresentation of gun death numbers?

Phillip Allen
06-22-2015, 06:06 PM
He stalks me too. I guess all conservatives are on his list.

I take it easy on him, normally (sometimes not)... he seems to have PTSD and claims I don't know s*** about it... we should sympathize with him

of course Glen stalks people too but is more like Otis in the old Andy Griffith show :)

Chip-skiff
06-22-2015, 06:06 PM
Given a choice, I'd go for bacon-assisted suicide.

Phillip Allen
06-22-2015, 06:08 PM
Given a choice, I'd go for bacon-assisted suicide.

I did that for years but finally gave up on it... I kept missing :)

seanz
06-22-2015, 06:12 PM
I take it easy on him, normally (sometimes not)... he seems to have PTSD and claims I don't know s*** about it... we should sympathize with him

of course Glen stalks people too but is more like Otis in the old Andy Griffith show :)

Champagne comedy...
:D:D:D

Captain Intrepid
06-22-2015, 06:14 PM
your gun-death numbers are primarily suicide... how do you reconcile the non-suicide numbers of cougar-asisted suicide with your misrepresentation of gun death numbers?

Discounting suicides, which no one serious about gun safety would do, you're still talking about more than a hundred thousand to one.

BrianW
06-22-2015, 06:22 PM
Discounting suicides, which no one serious about gun safety would do, you're still talking about more than a hundred thousand to one.

In any case, defending ones self from a deadly animal attack is a valid use for a firearm. As handguns are more likely to be carried more often than a rifle (not set down and out of reach) they are a good choice even if energy levels may be marginal.

bobbys
06-22-2015, 06:34 PM
He stalks me too. I guess all conservatives are on his list.

It's a form of bullying , He keeps on posting " celebrate" or other inane replies in order to shut others up.

Notice he has no advice at all.

other liberals posted responses and I read them and took their advice under consideration...

Chip-skiff
06-22-2015, 06:35 PM
In any case, defending ones self from a deadly animal attack is a valid use for a firearm. As handguns are more likely to be carried more often than a rifle (not set down and out of reach) they are a good choice even if energy levels may be marginal.

Have you missed the fact that you and Phillip and bobbys are deadlier, packing your guns, than all the lions and tigers and bears?

Paul Pless
06-22-2015, 06:50 PM
Phillip implicitly supports the ~ 2000 teenagers who killed themselves with guns last year. Your dead kids don't trump his constitutional right to unfettered access to guns.

Captain Intrepid
06-22-2015, 06:50 PM

It can be a valid use in certain circumstances, for example in polar bear country.

Someone who is carrying a gun because they're afraid of cougars ought not get out of bed, the world must be so terrifying.

bobbys
06-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Have you missed the fact that you and Phillip and bobbys are deadlier, packing your guns, than all the lions and tigers and bears?

Thing is I don't think I have ever packed a handgun, just a rifle when hunting.

Canoeyawl
06-22-2015, 06:58 PM

Thing is I don't think I have ever packed a handgun, just a rifle when hunting.

Just need a handgun for fishin' then?

S.V. Airlie
06-22-2015, 07:05 PM

It's a form of bullying , He keeps on posting " celebrate" or other inane replies in order to shut others up.

Notice he has no advice at all.

other liberals posted responses and I read them and took their advice under consideration...Darn, I wish it worked!

bobbys
06-22-2015, 07:05 PM
Just need a handgun for fishin' then?.

Actually. I did buy a snake charmer for my dory.

A shark got caught in the wires and we fought to keep it out of the boat.

BrianW
06-22-2015, 07:07 PM
It can be a valid use in certain circumstances, for example in polar bear country.

Someone who is carrying a gun because they're afraid of cougars ought not get out of bed, the world must be so terrifying.

Do they often carry handguns in Canada's polar bear country? Much more likely to carry a rifle or shotgun in Alaska for polar bear protection. I was a USF&G qualified polar bear hazer for a few years when I worked up there.

If one is aware of cougars in an area they intend to hike in regularly, then being prepared is a good idea. If you're hiking in Vermont, not so much. It's more about exposure and time in the area the person is located, than about national averages.

BrianW
06-22-2015, 07:11 PM

You don't know how many people I've killed.

But I bet you could guess pretty accurately.

Can't say for bobbys. He is a cool cat* with a checkered past.

Phillip made me swear to secrecy.

*pun intended

bobbys
06-22-2015, 07:16 PM
You don't know how many people I've killed.

But I bet you could guess pretty accurately.

Can't say for bobbys. He is a cool cat* with a checkered past.

Phillip made me swear to secrecy.

*pun intended

I still have nightmares from the wizard of oz, do not tell chipper but I sing that song while strolling through the woods.

htom
06-22-2015, 08:52 PM
So there are not many "human death by cougar" incidents. How many "human shoots, kills cougar" incidents were there?

Steve McMahon
06-22-2015, 09:04 PM
Phillip implicitly supports the ~ 2000 teenagers who killed themselves with guns last year. Your dead kids don't trump his constitutional right to unfettered access to guns.

Just wait, he's going to bring "how many teenagers died because of automobiles" as a defense as soon as he wakes up.

Phillip Allen
06-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Just wait, he's going to bring "how many teenagers died because of automobiles" as a defense as soon as he wakes up.

paul knows that access to firearms is NOT unfettered... that comment was for the stupid to believe

Phillip Allen
06-22-2015, 09:26 PM

deadlier? ;how so?

I've carried revolvers off and on in the woods since I was 17 or 18... now I'm 66... care to consider how dangerous that has turned out to be? now consider the frequency that cougars kill things... truth?

Phillip Allen
06-22-2015, 09:28 PM

no one serious about gun safety? is that a fact or opinion

BrianW
06-22-2015, 09:33 PM

Personally I would ignore that question from Paul.

The topic of teenagers who commit suicide has no impact on the topic of using a firearm for protection from wild animals.

Phillip Allen
06-22-2015, 09:35 PM

The topic of teenagers who commit suicide has no impact on the topic of using a firearm for protection from wild animals.

SOP

John of Phoenix
06-22-2015, 10:17 PM
Stalking? You're paranoid.

no... you're a stalkerOne post in 114 is stalking? You're delusional.

Paul Pless
06-22-2015, 11:02 PM

Phillip is the one who brought suicide into the discussion. But yes I can see why you might want to ignore the inconvenient truth.

bobbys
06-22-2015, 11:41 PM

I do not plan on suicide, I'm sort of curious if when you do things you compare whatever it is you do to the suicide rate..

I never even thought about the suicide rate to much of anything.

bobbys
06-22-2015, 11:44 PM

The topic of teenagers who commit suicide has no impact on the topic of using a firearm for protection from wild animals..

I'm not a teenager although sometimes I act like one, Why do these people keep talking about suicide, now teenagers?.

I think they are trying to get me off track!

Glen Longino
06-23-2015, 12:09 AM
One post in 114 is stalking? You're delusional.

He's given up calling me a stalker and started on you! Aw Shucks!

Glen Longino
06-23-2015, 12:12 AM

I'm not a teenager although sometimes I act like one, Why do these people keep talking about suicide, now teenagers?.

I think they are trying to get me off track!

Ha! You have never been ON track!
You would not recognize a "track" if it crawled up your leg and bit you on the "sack"!
Call me a poet!

BrianW
06-23-2015, 01:24 AM
Phillip is the one who brought suicide into the discussion. But yes I can see why you might want to ignore the inconvenient truth.

I believe that Captain Intrepid, by including suicide statistics in the numbers he first posted, was the first to mention suicide, even if not directly.

In any case, the two topics aren't related.

Captain Intrepid
06-23-2015, 01:32 AM
Do they often carry handguns in Canada's polar bear country? Much more likely to carry a rifle or shotgun in Alaska for polar bear protection. I was a USF&G qualified polar bear hazer for a few years when I worked up there.

If one is aware of cougars in an area they intend to hike in regularly, then being prepared is a good idea. If you're hiking in Vermont, not so much. It's more about exposure and time in the area the person is located, than about national averages.

IIRC, typical carry for polar bears in the north is a L.E. 303.

I do hike, camp, fish, and boat in cougar country, as regularly as I can. I won't dispute that a firearm might be useful against a cougar, but I don't think it'd be so much more effective that carrying it would overcome the added danger and hassle of carrying a deadly weapon. Honestly, I think bear spray would be more effective, and more realistic to actually use in a cougar attack. As I'm sure you know, they're ambush predators, and will stalk their prey for quite a while, unseen, waiting to strike, so you likely wouldn't be aware of it until it leaps. Kinda dangerous to shoot at something that is clamped onto you.

Phillip Allen
06-23-2015, 01:36 AM

I do hike, camp, fish, and boat in cougar country, as regularly as I can. I won't dispute that a firearm might be useful against a cougar, but I don't think it'd be so much more effective that carrying it would overcome the added danger and hassle of carrying a deadly weapon. Honestly, I think bear spray would be more effective, and more realistic to actually use in a cougar attack. As I'm sure you know, they're ambush predators, and will stalk their prey for quite a while, unseen, waiting to strike, so you likely wouldn't be aware of it until it leaps. Kinda dangerous to shoot at something that is clamped onto you.

nice rationalization... you're getting better :)

the suicide thing didn't work so he's switched back again... very funny

Captain Intrepid
06-23-2015, 01:42 AM
I did a quick google, and not only can you get bear spray, you can actually get cougar spray! It's more to attract them than scare them off though...

http://images.askmen.com/fashion/grooming/1255710220_axe-essence-body-spray_1.jpg

nice rationalization... you're getting better :)

the suicide thing didn't work so he's switched back again... very funny

When an argument fails to impress upon someone, why wouldn't I try another tack? It doesn't mean the first argument was invalid, just that it wasn't getting through to you.

I do not plan on suicide, I'm sort of curious if when you do things you compare whatever it is you do to the suicide rate..

I never even thought about the suicide rate to much of anything.

When I do risk assessments I try to think of everything I know. The causation between having a firearm of any kind in a household and both the suicide attempt rate and the suicide is quite well known in the mental health world.

BrianW
06-23-2015, 01:52 AM

I carried a Glock at work everyday, everywhere, no matter what I was working on, and it never presented a problem in 2 years. If in your case, carrying a handgun is a hassle and a danger, I respect your position, for your situation.

There is certainly danger in discharging a firearm while wrestling a cougar. Discharging bear spray while wrestling one is not a good idea either, as you're most certainly going to be equally affected by the spray.

Those smaller calibers often used up north always amaze me. A better choice for hunting, rather than defense, but you have to use what you have.

Captain Intrepid
06-23-2015, 02:07 AM
I carried a Glock at work everyday, everywhere, no matter what I was working on, and it never presented a problem in 2 years. If in your case, carrying a handgun is a hassle and a danger, I respect your position, for your situation.

There is certainly danger in discharging a firearm while wrestling a cougar. Discharging bear spray while wrestling one is not a good idea either, as you're most certainly going to be equally affected by the spray.

Those smaller calibers often used up north always amaze me. A better choice for hunting, rather than defense, but you have to use what you have.

That really is the tricky thing about talking about gun safety. I am quite sure that everyone with enough taste to post in this particular forum is capable of being a very responsible gun owner, and that we are not representative of the population at large. Even if we were, there's not a large enough population here to run the full gamut.

I'd expect to get a facefull of spray, but I'd rather that than a mauling or a gunshot wound.

Yeah, you use what you have, but you also use what works, and up north, not many guns do reliably from what I know. I'll ask one of my buddies what they carry on ships up north.

Phillip Allen
06-23-2015, 02:19 AM
That really is the tricky thing about talking about gun safety. I am quite sure that everyone with enough taste to post in this particular forum is capable of being a very responsible gun owner, and that we are not representative of the population at large. Even if we were, there's not a large enough population here to run the full gamut.

I'd expect to get a facefull of spray, but I'd rather that than a mauling or a gunshot wound.

Yeah, you use what you have, but you also use what works, and up north, not many guns do reliably from what I know. I'll ask one of my buddies what they carry on ships up north.

do you have any facts to offer on the number of people who shoot themselves while fending off cougars?

Captain Intrepid
06-23-2015, 03:04 PM
do you have any facts to offer on the number of people who shoot themselves while fending off cougars?

I don't have any data, considering how few cougar attacks on people there actually are.

J P
06-23-2015, 03:10 PM
As a camptender and horsepacker, Forest Service range rider and later a backcountry ranger, I lived in the mountains near Yellowstone for twenty-odd years, with cougars, black bears, and griz bears. Rather than carry a firearm (which I'd never have used), ...

Lots of folks that take animals, especially pack-stock, into the backcountry will bring a firearm, if for no other reason than to put down a severely injured animal should they find themselves in that unfortunate situation. Things happen. Sure, there are other ways to get that job done. What was your plan? And I don't doubt you had one.

Phillip Allen
06-23-2015, 03:17 PM
I don't have any data, considering how few cougar attacks on people there actually are.

so, you just made that up then?

Captain Intrepid
06-23-2015, 03:24 PM
so, you just made that up then?

I used my imagination, envisioned a big cat digging it's claws into me, and thought about how difficult it would be for me to shoot the cat without potentially hitting myself.

Phillip Allen
06-23-2015, 03:28 PM
I used my imagination, envisioned a big cat digging it's claws into me, and thought about how difficult it would be for me to shoot the cat without potentially hitting myself.

you thought? your imagination is better than mine... I can't imagine not knowing where the muzzle was pointing

TomF
06-23-2015, 03:36 PM
you thought? your imagination is better than mine... I can't imagine not knowing where the muzzle was pointingThe cougar's? I have a good idea where it would be pointing.

But I could readily imagine being a bit distracted just then about gun safety ... and pretty much everything else.

Captain Intrepid
06-23-2015, 03:41 PM
you thought? your imagination is better than mine... I can't imagine not knowing where the muzzle was pointing

You know the fundamental rules of gun safety better than I do. Always be sure of what is behind, above, below, to the right and to the left of your target.

If you can find the wherewithal to calmly and rationally check that with a 90 pound cat hanging off your back before you fire, you've more fortitude than I!

switters
06-23-2015, 03:56 PM
The mountain lion you can see has already decided not to eat you. -old mountain lion hunter I met up in the woods scouting for elk several years ago.

Over the years I have caught a few glimpses, stumbled upon a den I could smell before I could see, seen some tracks, seen tracks over my boot prints, and worried a bit while packing out elk quarters after dark.

In the past I have carried pistols, but there is noting I can do with a pistol I cannot do with a rifle, possible even better, and a rifle makes a better stick/club. I cant see ever getting a safely carried pistol out in time to have an impact on a cougar attack. A few years a go I packed out elk through some cougar tracks and decided we would just pack out in pairs and take two days rather than go in at night for the last trip.

Some where around 40 I decided that I would rather go out of this word at the tender mercies of a mountain lion or bear than get driven by a car. (If one gets shot by a gun doesn't one get driven by a car?)

Get over it, enjoy the walk, and carry a lightning rod, because that shyte will kill you.

Nicholas Scheuer
06-23-2015, 04:10 PM
If you shoot a pistol at a Cougar, and miss, you are in dire danger of having your eyeballs clawed out, regardless of whether the Cougar is a four-legged or a two-legged.

Phillip Allen
06-23-2015, 05:35 PM
If you shoot a pistol at a Cougar, and miss, you are in dire danger of having your eyeballs clawed out, regardless of whether the Cougar is a four-legged or a two-legged.

I know... I know... negotiate

Phillip Allen
06-23-2015, 05:39 PM
The cougar's? I have a good idea where it would be pointing.

But I could readily imagine being a bit distracted just then about gun safety ... and pretty much everything else.

it's a good example of extremism... you allow no middle ground at all. I try to remember middle ground... cat jumps and I am able to put a round into the ground... a perfectly useful solution... but no one considers anything but the extremes and that's it.