PDA

View Full Version : In poor taste, even without the context of Charleston

Norman Bernstein
06-19-2015, 08:04 PM
I thought a while about this. I don't think the cancelled event was intentionally malevolent, but I did think it was in bad taste, regardless of current events.

A Minor League Baseball team in Utah swiftly canceled its "Caucasian Heritage Night" after the event caused a stir on social media Friday, two days after the racially motivated massacre at a historic black church in Charleston, South Carolina.The theme night, scheduled for the Orem, Utah, Owlz' Aug. 10 game, had been advertised with "Irish, Italian, Scandinavian, German.... or even Utahn! Whatever your background, celebrate it at the Home of the Owlz!" But after an outcry, the team issued an apology and canceled the event (http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20150619&content_id=131690108&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t519&sid=t519).

"Minor League Baseball, and the Orem Owlz, is about baseball, togetherness and family fun for all fans of all races, religions, and orientations. Our goal in this promotion, like any of our promotions, is to have fun and make fun of everyday normalcies. Our night was to include wonder bread on burgers with mayonnaise, clips from shows like Friends and Seinfeld and trying to solve the vertical leaping challenge. We understand, in light of recent tragic events, that our intentions have been misconstrued. For that, we sincerely apologize."

The apology came after outrage poured in through social media, with some people pointing out the poor taste of holding such an event after this week's racist killings of nine African-Americans in Charleston by a white gunman.

CWSmith
06-19-2015, 08:10 PM
The timing was bad, but maybe we need to be able to make jokes like this - and bring an African American friend and swear he's Swedish. Wonder bread and mayonnaise? Clearly, it's meant as a joke if the community is capable of viewing it that way. Some jerks might try to make it a statement, but that's when you hope the community shuts them down.

If we can't do that now, we can at least hope that someday we can joke about this sort of thing.

David G
06-19-2015, 08:13 PM
The timing was bad, but maybe we need to be able to make jokes like this - and bring an African American friend and swear he's Swedish. Wonder bread and mayonnaise? Clearly, it's meant as a joke if the community is capable of viewing it that way. Some jerks might try to make it a statement, but that's when you hope the community shuts them down.

If we can't do that now, we can at least hope that someday we can joke about this sort of thing.

This...

CWSmith
06-19-2015, 08:14 PM
This...

Sorry, David, bit too cryptic for me.

Phillip Allen
06-19-2015, 08:15 PM
white caucus/black caucus?

chas
06-19-2015, 08:21 PM
"This..."

I got it, ...I think. Racism and knee-jerk reactions to it seems more prevalent in your country, at least from the outside. What's holding you back? / Jim

David G
06-19-2015, 09:05 PM

Well... we don't have a 'like' button...

Barry
06-19-2015, 09:37 PM
Since when have the Irish and Italians been considered caucasian? Never mind the Portuguese.

CWSmith
06-19-2015, 09:38 PM
Well... we don't have a 'like' button...

Oh . . . Thanks? Be well, friend.

Canoeyawl
06-19-2015, 10:20 PM

Respectfully, I disagree...
Joking in this manner is not funny, it is in complete disrespect. Little difference than announcing a "No Blacks event"

A few years back I had a friend, a mentor really, and we were talking critically about a new amateur build that we were "inspecting". This man had served in Germany as an officer in ww2, and brought home a German bride. He looked critically at the boat and said "It's as funny as a Judenschule". In disbelief, my facial expression must have been blank because he looked at me quizzically, and explained how funny a school with only Jews was.
Not funny.

oznabrag
06-19-2015, 10:22 PM

We definitely need these jokes.

This was clearly offered in the spirit of 'white men can't jump'.

That same spirit saw this event cancelled in deference to the miserable idiot who perpetrated these hate crimes. Utah seems to be much more progressive than the average ...'State'. The Boy Scouts in Salt Lake City served pizza to prospective same-sex spouses in the courthouse, fer godsakes.

As to Charleston, I'm listening, and I'm sorry.

Glen Longino
06-19-2015, 10:22 PM

heheheh!
And I thought I was dense?
Well said, Sir!

Breakaway
06-19-2015, 10:28 PM
Respectfully, I disagree... Joking in this manner is not funny, it is in complete disrespect. Little difference than announcing a "No Blacks event" A few years back I had a friend, a mentor really, and we were talking critically about a new amateur build that we were "inspecting". This man had served in Germany as an officer in ww2, and brought home a German bride. He looked critically at the boat and said "It's as funny as a Judenschule". In disbelief, my facial expression must have been blank because he looked at me quizzically, and explained how funny a school with only Jews was. Not funny. So you would have all " black pride" days, parades etc cancelled since they would be "no whites events?" Yes ? Kevin Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

CWSmith
06-19-2015, 10:50 PM
heheheh!
Well said, Sir!

I really do wish we could enjoy our differences more. Uniformity is boring.

Glen Longino
06-19-2015, 10:53 PM
I really do wish we could enjoy our differences more. Uniformity is boring.

I think we can!:)

bobbys
06-19-2015, 10:53 PM
heheheh!
Well said, Sir!.

much to easy I will let this one pass.LOL

CWSmith
06-19-2015, 10:54 PM
So you would have all " black pride" days, parades etc cancelled since they would be "no whites events?"

You can have my St. Patrick's Day Parade when you pry [my beer] from my cold, dead hand!

Now if you will excuse me, I'm getting my hat and my sun screen because I'll be outdoors tomorrow. (no joke) It's how I celebrate being whiter then a sheet of paper.

Glen Longino
06-19-2015, 10:56 PM

much to easy I will let this one pass.LOL

????

BrianW
06-19-2015, 11:06 PM
So you would have all " black pride" days, parades etc cancelled since they would be "no whites events?" Yes ? Kevin Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Exactly.

Why is it okay for certain groups, but not others?

Quite frankly, I'd like to see the end of any and all events based on race.

(Why do I expect someone to bring up an exception to that?)

;)

Old Dryfoot
06-19-2015, 11:21 PM
Exactly.

That may happen one day, when events like Charleston stop happening.

CK 17
06-19-2015, 11:34 PM
Exactly.

;)

because maybe their still discriminated against and us White dudes aren't?

BrianW
06-19-2015, 11:43 PM
because maybe their still discriminated against and us White dudes aren't?

Constantly highlighting their race is suppose to help us forget about race?

That doesn't seem to be working. Maybe we can tone it down and see what happens.

Glen Longino
06-19-2015, 11:47 PM
Exactly.

;)

Ha! The white guy with all the money and the "Superior Race", who owns the entire world, wants to put an end to celebrations of race.
Why am I not surprised, although a little disappointed?

BrianW
06-19-2015, 11:54 PM
Ha! The white guy with all the money and the "Superior Race", who owns the entire world, wants to put an end to celebrations of race.
Why am I not surprised, although a little disappointed?

Because you're assuming the worst about my intentions, instead of the best.

I'm not surprised.

David G
06-19-2015, 11:56 PM
Exactly.

;)

Here's me... taking exception.

Not that I don't agree with you. I very much wish for the same day!

In the meantime - something a gay friend told my son one time seems apropos.

When asked why we needed a "Gay Pride Day" (at their h.s.), and why there wasn't a similar 'Straight Pride Day'-... my friend said something like this --

A gay pride day is a response to ongoing and common disrespect, discrimination, and even violence against gays. It's a way for our community to say 'Despite how we are often treated... we really ARE ok'. Just be glad you don't NEED a straight pride day.

The same would apply to blacks... and others.

Glen Longino
06-20-2015, 12:25 AM
Because you're assuming the worst about my intentions, instead of the best.

I'm not surprised.

Because you assume the worst of me instead of the best! I'm not surprised!
Hell, I've fallen in love with you and your family over the years and have appreciated your input here and told you so many times.
I've watched your kids grow up. No small thing to me.
We must learn to separate political differences from human family differences.
I know I can do better at being friendly and supportive of Troglo...er, I mean my fellow members.:)

bobbys
06-20-2015, 01:57 AM
????.

It's no fun if you do not pay attention!