PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming : Polar bears eating Dolphins.

genglandoh
06-16-2015, 11:44 AM
What a joke.
A Dolphin get caught in the ice and a Polar Bear eats it.
The GW nuts are pushing the idea that this is the first time a Polar Bear has ever eaten a Dolphin.

Polar Bears Now Eat Dolphins, Thanks to Global Warming
Faced with a rapidly changing habitat, polar bears are adapting with a new entrée: For the first time, a polar bear was seen preying on a white-beaked dolphin carcass that had been trapped in the ice in Svalbard, a group of Norwegian islands in the Arctic Ocean.
http://www.livescience.com/51195-polar-bears-eat-dolphins.html

Polar Bears Are Now Eating Dolphins
Scientists for the first time observed the bears feasting on white-beaked dolphins in Svalbard in the Norwegian Arctic. They theorize the dolphins, coaxed northward by warmer waters, were trapped under the ice and killed by the bears when coming up for air through a small hole, they wrote in a new study.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-12/polar-bears-now-eating-dolphins-as-world-waters-warm

Flying Orca
06-16-2015, 11:58 AM
The GW nuts are pushing the idea that this is the first time a Polar Bear has ever eaten a Dolphin.

Their ranges don't normally overlap. Of course, you don't want to hear actual science... but I'll give you some anyway.

John of Phoenix
06-16-2015, 12:06 PM
What a joke.Then surely you have some research to contradict the articles you posted.

genglandoh
06-16-2015, 02:07 PM
Their ranges don't normally overlap. Of course, you don't want to hear actual science... but I'll give you some anyway.

Complete BS.
You need to stop believing everything the GW nuts say and look at the science.

White-beaked dolphins have a broad distribution throughout the temperate waters of the North Atlantic Ocean, from about 40-80° North. Their range includes the Barents Sea, Scandinavia, Svalbard, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, northern Europe, Canada (Gulf of St. Lawerence and Newfoundland) and the U.S. Atlantic coast (north of Cape Cod, Massachusetts). These dolphins have a limited distribution in U.S. waters. This species moves seasonally offshore and south away from the formation of ice in winter, and closer inshore and north in summer when ice recedes. In some areas of their range, these dolphins may reside all year (Shirihai and Jarrett 2006).
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/mammals/cetaceans/whitebeakeddolphin.htm

Phillip Allen
06-16-2015, 02:10 PM
I get the point even if our other two fear mongers preach doom and gloom about bears eating 'other' things ... wonderful! that takes care of the fear mongering about polar bears dying out because of starvation... it must be very disappointing for john and orca

Phillip Allen
06-16-2015, 02:11 PM
Complete BS.

White-beaked dolphins have a broad distribution throughout the temperate waters of the North Atlantic Ocean, from about 40-80° North. Their range includes the Barents Sea, Scandinavia, Svalbard, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, northern Europe, Canada (Gulf of St. Lawerence and Newfoundland) and the U.S. Atlantic coast (north of Cape Cod, Massachusetts). These dolphins have a limited distribution in U.S. waters. This species moves seasonally offshore and south away from the formation of ice in winter, and closer inshore and north in summer when ice recedes. In some areas of their range, these dolphins may reside all year (Shirihai and Jarrett 2006).
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/mammals/cetaceans/whitebeakeddolphin.htm

sorry... not acceptable 'science' :)

LeeG
06-16-2015, 02:22 PM
Geng, why are you calling scientists nuts? The articles aren't saying it's the first time it's happened they're saying it's the first time OBSERVED.

delecta
06-16-2015, 02:25 PM
Pretty dumb dolphin to be caught and eaten by a land living creature.......is there a Darwin award for dolphins?

genglandoh
06-16-2015, 02:27 PM
Pretty dumb dolphin to be caught and eaten by a land living creature.......is there a Darwin award for dolphins?

When the Arctic ice pack expands it is natural for whales and Dolphins to get trapped in the ice.
So the real story is the ice pack is expanding.

Paul Pless
06-16-2015, 02:29 PM
So the real story is the ice pack is expanding.<snort>

LeeG
06-16-2015, 02:30 PM
When the Arctic ice pack expands it is natural for whales and Dolphins to get trapped in the ice.

Is that statement from an observation or are you making an argument?

Peerie Maa
06-16-2015, 02:45 PM
This thread is a complete waste of band width.

Opportunist bear snatches dolphin that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. So what?

genglandoh
06-16-2015, 02:50 PM

Opportunist bear scavenges dolphin that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. So what?

I agree the news that a polar bear is eating a dolphin is not news and it certainly is not caused by GW.

Peerie Maa
06-16-2015, 02:51 PM

Did you even read your own link?

The dolphins likely made their way to this northern area when the ice had melted, but were trapped when strong northerly wind packed drift ice onto the fjords, the researchers speculated. Similar dolphin entrapment has been recorded off the coast of Newfoundland, a Canadian island off the east coast of the mainland, as reported in studies in 1957 and 1996.
Could not be bothered to read it, or could not understand the words?

I agree the news that a polar bear is eating a dolphin is not news and it certainly is not caused by GW.

The issue is that this has happened far enough north due to the retreat of the ice to bring the dolphins range into the range of the bears, now that is news of GW.

S.V. Airlie
06-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Geng, You really a piece of cake! Stale but, nonetheless.

LeeG
06-16-2015, 03:13 PM
TBI

ccmanuals
06-16-2015, 03:18 PM
So Geng, if GW is not the cause of this (who knows really) than what can we reasonably expect to happen as a result of GW? Or, are all GW studies suspect?

Paul Pless
06-16-2015, 03:20 PM
its just tuesday, but we may have strong contender for dumbest thread of the week here. . .

AnalogKid
06-16-2015, 03:26 PM
its just tuesday, but we may have strong contender for dumbest thread of the week here. . .

I don't know, he's got stiff competition from Ron (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?193581-2016-Politics-just-got-kicked-into-high-gear)

David G
06-16-2015, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't jump the gun. They're just getting warmed up.

LeeG
06-16-2015, 03:43 PM

If it has not been observed by researchers studying these animals then it is news. Again why do you call researchers nuts?

Phillip Allen
06-16-2015, 04:17 PM

Opportunist bear snatches dolphin that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. So what?

the waste is that some members are desperately trying to claim an alarmist pitch has legitimacy... just calling someone a scientists makes their commentary inviolate :) (unless it's the 'wrong' commentary, of course :))

LeeG
06-16-2015, 04:23 PM
the waste is that some members are desperately trying to claim an alarmist pitch has legitimacy... just calling someone a scientists makes their commentary inviolate :) (unless it's the 'wrong' commentary, of course :))

What alarmist pitch?

genglandoh
06-16-2015, 04:25 PM
If it has not been observed by researchers studying these animals then it is news. Again why do you call researchers nuts?

LOL so you think this is the first time a Polar Bear eat a Dolphin?

delecta
06-16-2015, 04:29 PM

Of course it is....do you wonder why liberals here hate you....they know everything.....I bet none of them actually use google....no need.

hokiefan
06-16-2015, 04:34 PM

That's not what he said. He said it was the first time that researchers had observed it.

Reading comprehension matters.

Cheers,

Bobby

Peerie Maa
06-16-2015, 04:37 PM
Of course it is....do you wonder why liberals here hate you....they know everything.....I bet none of them actually use google....no need.

Nice irony. Wasted on Geng though. He wont notice you extracting the Michael from him.

LeeG
06-16-2015, 04:42 PM

wow

S.V. Airlie
06-16-2015, 04:59 PM
RonW be happy sit in your cave and not look around to see what's happening. You're happy as long as you have your air conditioner!

By the wqay, bears are omnivorous. If in a cage, they will eat what people give them...DUH!

Michael D. Storey
06-16-2015, 05:56 PM
What a joke.

For the first time, a polar bear was seen preying on a white-beaked dolphin carcass http://www.livescience.com/51195-polar-bears-eat-dolphins.html

Polar Bears Are Now Eating Dolphins
Scientists for the first time observed the bears feasting on white-beaked dolphins in Svalbard
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-12/polar-bears-now-eating-dolphins-as-world-waters-warm

It is clear that the 'first time' refers to the 'first time' that scientists saw it happening. Not the 'first time' that it happened.
By the way, do you have a boat? Ever been on one? Do you like the water?

L.W. Baxter
06-16-2015, 06:00 PM
Typical liberal Polar Bear, pretending to be a shark.

S.V. Airlie
06-16-2015, 06:06 PM
It is clear that the 'first time' refers to the 'first time' that scientists saw it happening. Not the 'first time' that it happened.
By the way, do you have a boat? Ever been on one? Do you like the water? Geng and RonW don't need a friggin' boat Nor, do they need or want to be on one!

S.V. Airlie
06-16-2015, 06:13 PM
I know a good deal more than you. You admit you were just a contractor and that suggests, you know squat. I majored in Wildlife management and worked in the wildlife field. Ya want to compare notes? REALLY!

Phillip Allen
06-16-2015, 06:14 PM

why do some people fall back on this ridiculous argument every time they paint themselves into a corner... it is asinine at the very least

S.V. Airlie
06-16-2015, 06:16 PM
Michael IS NOT cornered at all!

Peerie Maa
06-16-2015, 06:16 PM

why do some people fall back on this ridiculous argument every time they paint themselves into a corner... it is asinine at the very least

Well this is a wooden BOAT forum, so it is a legit question.

genglandoh
06-16-2015, 06:20 PM

The point of the news story was that because it was seen for the first time it somehow proves GW is happening.

Yes I have owned many sailboats over the years and have sailed every year for the past 20 years.
Last year bought an old Alacrity Twin Keel sailboat that needs repair.
So I have not sailed this year.
I am hoping to get the boat fixed and in the water soon.

If you want to watch a few videos here is a link.
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?134491-Going-to-practice-some-heavy-weather-sailing-tonight

S.V. Airlie
06-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Nick, of course it's a legit question! Not, for the usual rep. mosquitoes that infest the bilge though.

Chip-skiff
06-16-2015, 07:03 PM
http://blogs.reuters.com/photographers-blog/files/2013/04/mdf1573464.jpg

Nice photo of Reince Priebus, (did I spell that right?) cleaning up after a debate.

S.V. Airlie
06-16-2015, 07:06 PM
I'm surprised there is so little to pick up!:) Oh and Ronnie, you call me rude!ROTFLMAO! Your such a piece of stale cake!

Paul Pless
06-16-2015, 07:09 PM
The point of the news story was that because it was seen for the first time it somehow proves GW is happening.

Proves? I didn't see any mention of the word 'prove' in those articles. To the contrary I saw words and phrases like 'theorize', ' evidence suggests', and 'potentially'. These are the types of words that responsible scientists use. Perhaps you might think about being a little more intellectually honest next time you raise the alarm. . .

S.V. Airlie
06-16-2015, 07:12 PM
Grab your dictionary, those "words" might be new to you.

S.V. Airlie
06-16-2015, 07:20 PM
There is nothing like going to school to learn a trade............You are correct and not having one is telling don't you think?!

Waddie
06-16-2015, 07:52 PM
It's pretty obvious that a polar bear eating a dolphin has nothing to do with GW; but there has been some spin to the contrary.

And while there does seem to be a consensus among scientists that the Earth has been warming since the last cool period, I can't find any consensus about whether it will be harmful or not. If the temperature goes up by another degree or two, or four, by the end of the century (there is much disagreement on how much) what are the pro's and con's?

regards,
Waddie

Phillip Allen
06-16-2015, 08:37 PM

Yes I have owned many sailboats over the years and have sailed every year for the past 20 years.
Last year bought an old Alacrity Twin Keel sailboat that needs repair.
So I have not sailed this year.
I am hoping to get the boat fixed and in the water soon.

If you want to watch a few videos here is a link.
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?134491-Going-to-practice-some-heavy-weather-sailing-tonight

don't answer him... that's letting him set/change the rules whenever he wants...

Phillip Allen
06-16-2015, 08:39 PM
Geng and RonW don't need a friggin' boat Nor, do they need or want to be on one!
[/B]

I recommended he not answer the foolish question but he did... so now, I look forward to your retraction

Phillip Allen
06-16-2015, 08:45 PM
That's not what he said. He said it was the first time that researchers had observed it.

Reading comprehension matters.

Cheers,

Bobby

several questions:
the first observation or the first time it was observed?
is there any evidence suggestion this has never happened before?
do you think it's never happened before?
as to researchers: were these weather researchers or global warming researchers or polar bear researchers or dolphin observers or something else like chimpanzee observers or other non related observers?

there is some vagueness not brought up by the global warming fancy.

Paul Pless
06-16-2015, 08:49 PM
several questions:
as to researchers: were these weather researchers or global warming researchers or polar bear researchers or dolphin observers or something else like chimpanzee observers or other non related observers?

there is some vagueness not brought up by the global warming fancy.lots of basic questions there, so basically you didn't bother to read the article either. . .

S.V. Airlie
06-16-2015, 08:51 PM
It wasn't YuTube!

Flying Orca
06-16-2015, 09:07 PM

Dude, I'm familiar with the science. You don't normally find bears and dolphins in the same place at the same time; their respective ranges change with ice cover. Bears live where there's ice cover, spending summers ashore where they have to (e.g. Hudson Bay). Dolphins live where there is not ice cover. Yes, those geographic areas can overlap at different times, but not generally at the same time.

LeeG
06-16-2015, 09:11 PM
Proves? I didn't see any mention of the word 'prove' in those articles. To the contrary I saw words and phrases like 'theorize', ' evidence suggests', and 'potentially'. These are the types of words that responsible scientists use. Perhaps you might think about being a little more intellectually honest next time you raise the alarm. . .

Maybe Gemg has a limited number and type of qualifiers in his vocabulary?

Flying Orca
06-16-2015, 09:13 PM
while there does seem to be a consensus among scientists that the Earth has been warming since the last cool period, I can't find any consensus about whether it will be harmful or not.

You're clearly looking in the wrong place. Here is the best place to start: the IPCC's Fifth Assessment Report, Summary for Policy Makers (http://www.climatechange2013.org/images/report/WG1AR5_SPM_FINAL.pdf).

Michael D. Storey
06-17-2015, 11:16 AM

What? Another floor painter? I didn't paint floors until I met Judith. It's amazing how easily a color demarkation at an entrance to a room can look good, in a way that wall to wall never can. That's all I use now, to hell with this carpet business, especially if you have an outside dog. No telling what that beast will bring in.

Peerie Maa
06-17-2015, 01:58 PM
several questions:

there is some vagueness not brought up by the global warming fancy.

OK, whilst I am eating my evening meal I'll take time to spoon feed you.
From http://www.livescience.com/51195-polar-bears-eat-dolphins.html

several questions:
We were surprised, as we had not thought we would see dolphins in that area that time of year, and also because polar bears (http://www.livescience.com/27436-polar-bear-facts.html) [had previously not been] recorded taking or eating dolphins," Aars told Live Science in an email.
is there any evidence suggestion this has never happened before?not dolphins but
He noted that polar bears are also known to devour belugas (http://www.livescience.com/26001-cook-inlet-beluga-whales.html) and narwhals (http://www.livescience.com/16834-tracking-effort-mysterious-unicorns-sea-begins.html), both of which are larger than the dolphins.
is there any evidence suggestion this has never happened before?see the answer to your first question. However always remember that lack of evidence is not evidence of lack.

do you think it's never happened before?That is unlikely as polar bears range does not overlap dolphins normal range. Normally during the summer when the water is warm enough for dolphins the bears are on land. From the original report: http://www.polarresearch.net/index.php/polar/article/view/26612
Earlier observations of white-beaked dolphins as far north as northern Spitsbergen have all been made in summer and autumn (June–November; Fig. 2 (http://www.polarresearch.net/index.php/polar/article/view/26612#F0002_26612). Prior to this report, no recording of the species has been made in winter or spring this far north in Svalbard. The fjords and around the coast of northern Spitsbergen, an area normally covered by annual ice, were ice-free in winter 2013/14. It is likely that the presence of the dolphins in early spring was due to the lack of sea ice in the period prior to our observation. Ice maps indicated open water as late as 28 March,

The observations described here were recorded during a polar bear capture–recapture programme conducted annually by the Norwegian Polar Institute

About The Authors Jon Aars
Norwegian Polar INstitute
Norway
research Department
senior research scientist

Magnus Andersen

Norway

Agnés Brenière

France

Samuel Blanc

France

I'm curious, what has the scientists field of expertise got to do with their ability to see polar bears eating?

switters
06-17-2015, 02:16 PM
http://www.iflscience.com/brain/why-you-will-lose-your-argument

casting pearls and whatnot but I just read the above article and found it relevant to this discussion.

David G
06-17-2015, 02:35 PM
http://www.iflscience.com/brain/why-you-will-lose-your-argument

casting pearls and whatnot but I just read the above article and found it relevant to this discussion.

Excellent article. And not at all 'beside the point' - esp. around these parts...

bobbys
06-17-2015, 02:54 PM
Excellent article. And not at all 'beside the point' - esp. around these parts...

When the President his self refers to anyone daring to comment on this is a flat earther he plays the fallacy card.

Course who knows where these " flat earthers" are , mostly in his mind where he defeats them..

His followers play the same game.

Nicholas Scheuer
06-17-2015, 03:04 PM
Next you're gon'na tell us the melting of the glaciers is an Obama plot to steal the water and give it to California because they voted Democratic.

switters
06-17-2015, 03:15 PM
Did you guys hear about the killer whale that ate the polar bear ? I think it has something to do with global warming or maybe a hungry whale...

Did you hear about greenhouse gasses, and that CO2 is a greenhouse gas, and that adding greenhouse gasses to the atmosphere will accelerate the heating of the earth? Did you know that an accelerated heating of the earth could be bad for us human types?

http://d2r42o2f7hk334.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/greenhouse-gas-effect-climate-change.jpg

This is science. Polar bears eating dolphins may or may not be a symptom of AGW. I can agree that there are several things blamed on AGW that have ranged from stupid to disingenuous. What is not in dispute is that human beings, that's the anthro part, are loading the atmosphere with greenhouse gasses, please refer to above chart.

Vince Brennan
06-19-2015, 05:27 AM

I think: I would vote for it.

(Fun with Punctuation!)