PDA

View Full Version : transfats

Paul Pless
06-16-2015, 10:04 AM
Banned in all processed foods.

Norman Bernstein
06-16-2015, 10:06 AM
Hmmm... gonna tell us how you feel about that?

TomF
06-16-2015, 10:24 AM
However he feels, it'll be transitory. :D

Norman Bernstein
06-16-2015, 10:27 AM
Well, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as pork fat isn't illegal, Pless will probably be happy :)

Katherine
06-16-2015, 10:30 AM
I cook with plenty of real fats. He'll survive.

Figment
06-16-2015, 10:31 AM
leads one to wonder about the specific definition of "processed"

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-16-2015, 10:36 AM
Does it include "non dairy coffee whitener" or "ice cream"?.

delecta
06-16-2015, 10:41 AM
I wonder where all the palm oil will come from to replace it? It's also not going to happen tomorrow and there is no definition on what will be allowed.......at this point considering most has been dispensed with already I doubt it means much.

Canoez
06-16-2015, 10:43 AM
I cook with plenty of real fats. He'll survive.

But will his waist line?

htom
06-16-2015, 02:30 PM
There goes anything with butter. While it's true that almost all transfats are "artificial", not all aree, and banning all is a poor scheme.

Keith Wilson
06-16-2015, 02:35 PM
The ban doesn't apply to butter or other foods with naturally-occurring trans fats, only partially-hydrogenated oils, artificial trans fat.

TerryLL
06-16-2015, 03:36 PM
Extra virgin olive oil is the only fat that passes my lips, because my body is a temple.

Oh, and bacon, pork chops, eggs, cheese, and occasionally bacon.

Did I mention bacon?

hokiefan
06-16-2015, 03:50 PM
I wonder where all the palm oil will come from to replace it? It's also not going to happen tomorrow and there is no definition on what will be allowed.......at this point considering most has been dispensed with already I doubt it means much.

Palm oil comes almost exclusively from Malaysia and Indonesia, probably some from Sumatra as well but I'm not that familiar with that. It has to come from a place almost equatorial, with a lot of rain. That rules out much of equatorial Africa, but parts of Ecuador, Brazil, Peru, and Columbia are also candidates from a climate point of view. I currently work in the industry and our stuff comes from Malaysia and Indonesia. Our company is at the forefront of the sustainable palm oil production efforts and right now is way ahead of the curve. All of the international NGO's are quite happy with our efforts along those lines, and the company meets with them regularly so we stay ahead of their concerns. This announcement is very good for our business prospects. Will be a fun challenge growing the capabilities of the plant by really significant chunks.

Cheers,

Bobby

ron ll
06-16-2015, 03:57 PM
Trans fats have been illegal in King County (Seattle) since July 2008. (With the usual exceptions).

Since then, pie crusts from bakeries suck and Mexifries at Taco Time taste like cardboard. But I haven't died of a heart attact yet so I guess the nanny state is my savior.

delecta
06-16-2015, 04:09 PM
This announcement is very good for our business prospects. Will be a fun challenge growing the capabilities of the plant by really significant chunks.

Cheers,

Bobby

Do you have enough to meet the new needs or are you going to ?????

hokiefan
06-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Do you have enough to meet the new needs or are you going to ?????

We have enough to fill the theoretical plant capacity, plus we have enough to fill a new plant currently in the exploration phase. Can't answer about total industry capacity, but we control our own destiny here. Our company is vertically integrated from the plantations.

Cheers,

Bobby

delecta
06-16-2015, 04:15 PM
We have enough to fill the theoretical plant capacity, plus we have enough to fill a new plant currently in the exploration phase. Can't answer about total industry capacity, but we control our own destiny here. Our company is vertically integrated from the plantations.

Cheers,

Bobby

I know next to nothing about this, what I read is that palms need to be planted to make up for the coming need, perhaps true or not.

hokiefan
06-16-2015, 04:28 PM
I know next to nothing about this, what I read is that palms need to be planted to make up for the coming need, perhaps true or not.

As a major player in RSPO we've pledged not to cut any more rainforest. We are also working towards having 100% certified sustainable oil. All of our oil is currently, but we also purchase some when the market makes that favorable. Most of that is certified, but not all of it. I think the goal is to get to 100% certified by the end of next year. We are actively working on increasing oil ton/acre yield to meet our needs. Palm oil yield is already an order of magnitude higher than soybean oil, its just that the US has lots of land to grow beans on.

There are other ways to get rid of trans fats than just palm oil, but palm oil has so many different fatty acid components that it allows a ton of formulating flexibility. Some of the other options are more difficult technically, but not impossible.

Cheers,

Bobby

delecta
06-16-2015, 04:35 PM
So you plan to not cut any more, how much have you cut? I also wonder about this delay and how much more will be cut by the end of next year. Amazing how politics work when it comes to growing money.

Not blaming you at all, UT most respect.

Phil Y
06-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Hey Bobby, I didn't know you were in the sustainable palm oil industry. So was I for a couple of years, but then I got sick and decided the equator is not for me. In my case in Papua New Guinea. Seems to me RSPO still has some work to do getting its brand/message out there to the consumer.

hokiefan
06-16-2015, 04:48 PM
So you plan to not cut any more, how much have you cut? I also wonder about this delay and how much more will be cut by the end of next year. Amazing how politics work when it comes to growing money.

Not blaming you at all, UT most respect.

I can't answer this, because I don't know the answer. I won't pretend that everything has always been rosy, it probably hasn't been. But since the rainforest issue came up in the palm oil business internationally, our company has taken a leading role in developing sustainability practices. And there is no doubt that was about money, it was necessary to preserve the business at that time. But since then the NGO's like Greenpeace have moved from being adversaries to becoming partners. Actively working with them to address their concerns is a good business plan. And it has made our owners a $h!t ton of money.

This was one of the issues I did a lot of reading about before taking this job. I mean I really needed the job, but this kind of thing determines whether it was a short term expedient that I had to swallow or a potential long term relationship. So far it has real potential.

Cheers,

Bobby

Ted Hoppe
06-16-2015, 06:36 PM
So Paul a few trans have problem with their weight... Why should they punish everyone on the forum?

http://www.electrowow.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Fat-Transexual-Performs-That-Laughing-Track-By-Crookers.jpg

a,popular forumite here that goes by the name stage "Cookie Poison, the all white vanilla delight." Soon to be at Mystic this season.

htom
06-16-2015, 08:42 PM
Natural trans-fats test just like artificial trans-fats.