PDA

View Full Version : Can we get away with just one coat of topside paint this year?

plind
06-15-2015, 07:36 AM
We're getting a very late start this year and we are wondering how many coats of topside paint we need to use. It's a classic wooden boat and we put on two coats on the topsides every year for 22 years. Our boat is in the water for two months. Can we get away with doing just one coat on the topsides this year? Of course, if we have any repair/flaked/bare spots those would be primed and topcoated before then sanding and painting the entire hull.

wizbang 13
06-15-2015, 09:47 AM
44 coats of paint!!!!!

StevenBauer
06-15-2015, 09:50 AM
Sure. We've done that with Talisman.

Steven

Hunky Dory
06-15-2015, 09:57 AM
I go by the less you put on, the less you have to sand off mindset.

Dan McCosh
06-15-2015, 10:56 AM
I would try it and see how it looks.

pcford
06-15-2015, 01:52 PM
Fine Paints of Europe has amazing coverage. I have seen boats with just one coat over primer and while they do not look perfect, they look quite presentable. You certainly could use only one coat of this paint over existing coats in good shape. It is _very_ easy to use. Expensive.

Jay Greer
06-15-2015, 01:53 PM
When we bought "Bright Star" some fifteen years ago, the hull had been freshly painted with Awlgrip LP. Aside from a few sessions of buffing and a bit of touch up on scrapes and dings, the paint is still in great shape! And to think we used to paint the topsides on "Red Witch" with a light coat of primer and two coats of enamel every season!
Jay

pcford
06-15-2015, 01:57 PM
When we bought "Bright Star" some fifteen years ago, the hull had been freshly painted with Awlgrip LP. Aside from a few sessions of buffing and a bit of touch up on scrapes and dings, the paint is still in great shape! And to think we used to paint the topsides on "Red Witch" with a light coat of primer and two coats of enamel every season!
Jay

There have been many reports of failure of Awlgrip LP on traditional wooden boats, including applications by knowledgeable painters. And one should note it is nasty stuff to work with.

Jay Greer
06-15-2015, 03:55 PM
That being said, I didn't apply it and it has worked stunningly well.
Jay

Phil Y
06-15-2015, 04:42 PM
You are in the water for 2 months, and you paint every year? Wow! Just launch and paint it next year or the year after, or try a different paint.

Willin'
06-15-2015, 04:52 PM
I paint Drift's topsides, bootcap and bottom every spring before commissioning. I sand the topsides lightly and coat it with oil based black Rustoleum (one coat thinned with penetrol) and have been very happy with the results. The gloss fades within a month or so due to regular wipedowns with a chamois to get the salt off, but I like the satin patina better than the initial high gloss, anyhow.

I think you'll be surprised, with our short sailing season, how well a single coat works.

Try it! You'll like it!

Slacko
06-15-2015, 07:07 PM
I painted mine with International Toplac which is a single pack 3 years ago. No plans at this stage to repaint it.
The transom got done with International perfection which is the 2 pack 5 years ago. Same story.
The boat is in the water 12 months of the year.