PDA

View Full Version : Is the Pope a Cathol……………. er.. greenie?

skuthorp
06-14-2015, 06:33 PM
This will put the cat amongst the pigeons in the present Australian government.
My question is will this be one of those 'infallible' statements?

"Pope Francis (http://www.theguardian.com/world/pope-francis) will call for an ethical and economic revolution to prevent catastrophic climate change and growing inequality in a letter to the world’s 1.2 billion Catholics on Thursday.In an unprecedented encyclical on the subject of the environment, the pontiff is expected to argue that humanity’s exploitation of the planet’s resources has crossed the Earth’s natural boundaries, and that the world faces ruin without a revolution in hearts and minds. The much-anticipated message, which will be sent to the world’s 5,000 Catholic bishops, will be published online in five languages on Thursday and is expected to be the most radical statement yet from the outspoken pontiff."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/13/pope-francis-intervention-transforms-climate-change-debate

CWSmith
06-14-2015, 07:02 PM
I like this Pope!

Paul Pless
06-14-2015, 07:15 PM
I like this Pope!he's a saint :D

CWSmith
06-14-2015, 07:17 PM
he's a saint :D

Well, after the last one I tend to have issues with that approach. I am sure his heart is in the right place.

skuthorp
06-14-2015, 07:50 PM
The present Australian PM is a devout ex seminarian catholic of the old school. Schooled in catholic politics from a young age when sectarianism was rife in Aus. It will be interesting to watch his performance.

PeterSibley
06-14-2015, 08:00 PM
The present Australian PM is a devout ex seminarian catholic of the old school. Schooled in catholic politics from a young age when sectarianism was rife in Aus. It will be interesting to watch his performance.

Oh yes , he's really going to have to choose between gods.... his gymnastic performance will be worth watching.

''Thou shalt have no other Gods before me ''.... and that includes the mighty dollar.

Phil Y
06-14-2015, 08:12 PM
ye Gads, next the Pope will be giving the thumbs up to birth control-escalating population and all that.

Keith Wilson
06-15-2015, 06:41 AM
My question is will this be one of those 'infallible' statements?Contrary to popular opinion, "infallible" statments by the Pope are extremely rare. Ordinary papal encyclicals aren't considered "infallible". Since they made the doctrine offical in 1870, I think there's only been one, maybe two. They're generally on obscure points of theology of interst only to hard-core Catolics (the Assumption of Mary, IIRC, whatever that is).