PDA

View Full Version : Marine Plywood

Marty Cansler
03-22-2001, 12:49 PM
I have just gotten started in boat building and do not know where to find supplies. My first boat will be a drift boat for fishing rivers. I have ordered plans but don't know where to find marine plywood. Can I find this local? I live in the mountains of North Carolina, close to Asheville. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Marty Cansler
I have just gotten started in boat building and do not know where to find supplies. My first boat will be a drift boat for fishing rivers. I have ordered plans but don't know where to find marine plywood. Can I find this local? I live in the mountains of North Carolina, close to Asheville. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Marty Cansler

G. Schollmeier
03-22-2001, 01:20 PM
Marty,
I have found that a good local lumber retailer, (not home store) will be able to order what you need. This will often save you on shipping. Talk to the local guys first.
Gary

G. Schollmeier
Marty,
I have found that a good local lumber retailer, (not home store) will be able to order what you need. This will often save you on shipping. Talk to the local guys first.
Gary

G. Schollmeier
Marty,
Gary

C Reid
03-22-2001, 02:44 PM
Marty i live near asheville too. Going down the french broad eh ;P Good luck and try not to get in the chemicals.. er i mean .. water.. too much. If only we had access to the ocean *sigh*. Im dying to build my own boat HERE instead of florida (not much local wood in florida) but $5k to transport the boat sounds painful http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/frown.gif

I'd order it off the net as NOBODY here knows anything about marine plywood. BTW if you ever think about building in non-plywood there are a few little sawmills out in mills river with good deals if you catch them at the right time.

Good luck

C Reid
Marty i live near asheville too. Going down the french broad eh ;P Good luck and try not to get in the chemicals.. er i mean .. water.. too much. If only we had access to the ocean *sigh*. Im dying to build my own boat HERE instead of florida (not much local wood in florida) but $5k to transport the boat sounds painful http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/frown.gif

I'd order it off the net as NOBODY here knows anything about marine plywood. BTW if you ever think about building in non-plywood there are a few little sawmills out in mills river with good deals if you catch them at the right time.

Good luck

C Reid

Good luck

Bill Dodson
03-22-2001, 02:50 PM
Chesapeake Light Craft ships marine plywood, although I think the heaviest they have is 6 mm. See http://www.clcboats.com/

Good luck!
Bill

Bill Dodson
Chesapeake Light Craft ships marine plywood, although I think the heaviest they have is 6 mm. See http://www.clcboats.com/

Good luck!
Bill

Bill Dodson

Good luck!
Bill

landlocked sailor
03-22-2001, 03:17 PM
I live in the hills of PA and also was unable to find marine ply locally. I got mine through Noah's shipped common carrier. The sad truth is that you pay more for shipping than you do for the wood! I got around this partially by buying stock for 3 separate projects at once: an 8' Acorn, a Windward 15 and a Tom Hill Charlotte. That was two years ago and the Acorn is done, the Windard is 2/3 and ready for resumption in spring and I will have the Charlotte ready for painting tomorrow. I never really checked my local lumberyards except superficially but it is an interesting idea. Rick

landlocked sailor
I live in the hills of PA and also was unable to find marine ply locally. I got mine through Noah's shipped common carrier. The sad truth is that you pay more for shipping than you do for the wood! I got around this partially by buying stock for 3 separate projects at once: an 8' Acorn, a Windward 15 and a Tom Hill Charlotte. That was two years ago and the Acorn is done, the Windard is 2/3 and ready for resumption in spring and I will have the Charlotte ready for painting tomorrow. I never really checked my local lumberyards except superficially but it is an interesting idea. Rick

landlocked sailor

Will
03-22-2001, 07:51 PM
C Ried ; seems like you could truck a boat to the Tennesee River and ride it down to the sea cheaper .

Will
C Ried ; seems like you could truck a boat to the Tennesee River and ride it down to the sea cheaper .

Will

gashmore
03-23-2001, 07:25 AM
Contact Noah's Marine or Boulter. Most local lumber yards and home improvement stores can order fir marine if they know that it is still made. (most don't)

Home Depot here in Macon wanted more to order 4 sheets of 3/4 fir marine than Noah's cost for 19 mm BS 6566 Meranti delivered to my shop and the difference in quality was like night and day.

gashmore
Contact Noah's Marine or Boulter. Most local lumber yards and home improvement stores can order fir marine if they know that it is still made. (most don't)

Home Depot here in Macon wanted more to order 4 sheets of 3/4 fir marine than Noah's cost for 19 mm BS 6566 Meranti delivered to my shop and the difference in quality was like night and day.

gashmore

Andrew
03-23-2001, 08:05 AM
Marty, I live in Raleigh. The first day after being layed off a few years ago I took a day to run up to Baltimore (a great place to do a little maritime sightseeing) and went to Harbor Supply and picked up a half dozen sheets of ocume ply. They cut them into 2'x8' sheets for a small extra charge and I loaded them into my Bronc II. My time was a lot cheaper than freight charges at the time and I got to check out the USS Constelation.

Andrew
Marty, I live in Raleigh. The first day after being layed off a few years ago I took a day to run up to Baltimore (a great place to do a little maritime sightseeing) and went to Harbor Supply and picked up a half dozen sheets of ocume ply. They cut them into 2'x8' sheets for a small extra charge and I loaded them into my Bronc II. My time was a lot cheaper than freight charges at the time and I got to check out the USS Constelation.

Andrew