PDA

View Full Version : "super" simmons sea skiff 22

simmons22
06-09-2015, 12:25 PM
My first build, the Simmons Sea Skiff 22 footer, is a great lesson in structure and design. But, I have found that one can make certain "changes" without negatively affecting the overall integrity of the boat. One such change began at the first stage of the build: the stem 'length' dimension. I added 4 inches or so to its length just so I wouldn't be caught short. Well, as it turned out, it was still too short. Upon arriving at laying on the third and fourth strakes, I realized that the stem would not be long enough to take the fourth strake. So, I added extra length to it....about another 14". That did the trick. It left about 7" above the last strake. As I went about the business of side frames (this is "another story", where I hit upon an idea to revolutionize making the side frames....hopefully I can figure out how to post my photos of this neat, fast, accurate procedure). Anyways, upon finishing the frames, I began working on the framing/designing of my cuddy cabin. And that's when the 'proverbial light' came on! Since my two permanently installed fuel tanks are fairly tall, I knew I would be losing interior height in my cabin, as the cabin floor would have to be raised quite a bit to allow for the tank heights. That's when I happened to look up at the front of the boat, saw that stem staring back at me and thought, "why, I could add another strake and gain back the cabin interior height that the tanks took away from me!" This strake would run from the stem aft to frame/floor #4. It could be the same 8" full height of the previous strakes; or shorter, say 4 or 5 inches tall. (I left all my frames extra long just in case) I think this is a wonderful idea. I don't think it would impinge upon any integrity issues of the boat. The "standard" design of the Simmons would be a little different, but just at the bow. I'm not necessarily a "purist" when it comes to a lot of things.....if it could work, then why not? So, the next couple of weeks will be the key - will I or won't I? Will I have a "standard" boat, or a "super" boat?

simmons22
06-14-2015, 10:36 PM
Well, the strakes are on. Actually, there turned out to be 4 1/2" of usable stem leftover; so I made the strake at the stem 5 1/2" (including gain) tapering to 4 1/2" at frame #4. One of the benefits of this additional "half" strake is that I'm losing about three or four inches due to the height of my two fuel tanks under the cabin floor, and this is now being atoned for by the additional strake height.....not a bad "give and take". Now my cabin is a little higher, but that can be accommodated for by raising the top of the cabin roof a little more. Will have to build a small raised platform on which to stand when steering. In regards to the resulting "look" of the boat now, I think things look just fine. Builders of the 'low side' simmons might even consider this extra half strake idea to provide a little extra height under their bow covers. Does it change the look of the simmons? Yes. Does it ruin the traditional look of the simmons? Possibly. Is it that critical? In my case, at least, I'm ok with it as a part of my 22 (and it has nothing to do with my being out here on the west coast - Oregon - 'taking liberties'.)

simonmags
06-15-2015, 03:48 AM
Try the FAQ section for how to post photos, good luck.

Sent from my HTC_PO582 using Tapatalk

chilt
06-15-2015, 09:09 AM
simmons22, I am going to start building a high side 20 in the not too distant future. Would like to see what you did to build the side frames. Also, very interested to see how your boat looks with the extra hieght forward.

Thanks,
Don

Hunky Dory
06-15-2015, 10:07 AM
Not a Simmons but a nice version of a small raised deck tastefully blended in to the shearline

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa455/BobLister/Boat%20Show%20Pics/DSC00101_zpsp9fukq93.jpg (http://s1198.photobucket.com/user/BobLister/media/Boat%20Show%20Pics/DSC00101_zpsp9fukq93.jpg.html)

simmons22
07-12-2016, 10:35 PM
CHILT - By now we have been communicating awhile. Glad to see you aboard, and, as of July '16, on your way with the floors for your SSS 20. As you also know, I have sent you the photos I took of "How To Do The Side Frames". For all those out there wishing they could see how I did my side frames in my SSS 22, I apologize!!! I would love to post pics on WB Forum. But I don't know how, and every time I try to follow the methods prescribed by this site, it ends in utter frustration! I am no computer guy....turn on/turn off is about all I can do. But I will say this about "my method of doing side frames" = it's absolutely revolutionary, incredibly easy, and totally spot-on accurate. My instructor at the Wooden Boat School, back in '06, told me/us that "this is the only way to do it" (using a geometry compass; craning my neck upside down; all sorts of measure/check/remeasure/hope my measurements were correct...etc. I told him then, "there's got to be a better way". There is. And I will put my new method up against the traditional method any day!) My "Hot Glue" method makes short work of side frames...no muss, no fuss. In a little over 6 hours, one day, I had 8 side frames patterned, laid out, cut, and dry fitted - and ready to install. I did the install later, as I had other things to do. But, boy! oh! boy! was that an eye opener! In fact, after that success, I used my method with many other aspects of the build = all my floorboards; the raised floorboards in my cuddy cabin; my washboards; my 'splashboards' which I decided would be a nice addition; the aft wall of my cuddy cabin; the bow cover. An additional sidelight - prior to "doing the side frames" was while I was ready to begin hanging my strakes: I had made quite a number of "clothespin" clamps, ready to use them one the strake was up. However, I came up with a much better/easier/faster/simple method of hanging strakes = my "strake hanger".....simply two small pieces of MDO plywood screwed together to make an 'S' shape: one part of the 'S' screwed to the new strake, and the other part of the 'S' simply hung over the top edge of the previous strake. I used 5 of these, spaced down the new strake. As I bent the new strake into position, I carefully hooked the hanger over the bottom strake, feeding the hangers as I lowered the new strake into position. Piece of cake. Used a long clamp to hold the strake down as I screwed through the lap to the bottom strake; always watching to make sure the new strake wasn't shifting upwards. I can supply pics....no videos. The "hangar" pics takes only a few to make sure one "gets the idea". The "side frame method", however, might take a few emails to supply enough info. So, did I use my "clothespin clamps"? Nope. No need. In fact, they are going to be in a garage sale in a couple of weeks. I have almost 200 small C clamps and a variety of squeeze clamps that work better for me. But I did have fun designing and cutting out those clothespins.

skaraborgcraft
07-13-2016, 02:08 AM
Sounds like an Ultra HIgh Side Simmons. What with the boat being quite narrow below the water line, I would be cautious of adding extra weight high up unless the construction was kept light, which is sometimes difficult to do. Pictures would be nice.

simmons22
08-14-2016, 03:52 PM
I would love to post pics. Unfortunately, when I try to follow the instructions from the Forum, it all ends in frustration. I'm not a computer guy. I'll need some serious help from a computer savvy person to get me into the picture mode. But, I do know a man, who majored in computer engineering, so I'm hoping I can enlist his aid. Until then.......waiting.....waiting.....
As to "weight up high", I'm trying to keep things to a minimum. Cabin rooftop, at its most aft, is about 12" above the washboard and tapers forward to about 5" high. Windshield extends vertically up from that about 25". And the hardtop roof is level with the top of the windshield. So, I think I'm pretty good there. All the construction from cabin upwards is as light as I could make it. The cabin is a "cuddy" style, made with 1/2" MDO ply for the roof; and 5/16 +" MDO ply (actually closer to 5/16 than 3/8") for the cabin walls. Roof of hardtop is 3/8" MDO ply, and is about 6ft x 6ft. The windshield, being a full sized windshield, is the heaviest part of all this...weighing in around 75#...to withstand any green water and also to minimize any 'twist'. Glass is 1/4" laminated.

simmons22
12-11-2017, 06:22 PM
I finally figured out how to get pix onto the Forum!! My first build ever, my Simmons Sea Skiff 22, four years in. The "hook" is quite pronounced in the 22; I call the "swoop". As I was getting ready to add strake number 3, realized the stem length (copied from the plans) was going to be waaay too short, so I added another 18". This eventually gave me a little left over after the 4th strake went on, so I add a "partial" 5th strake.....hence, a "super" simmons.716371647165

Puttputt
12-11-2017, 06:33 PM
That’s looking great. Congratulations. I noticed your pooch is looking a little hangdogged. Is that because the boat won’t be finished by Christmas?

Mark O.
12-11-2017, 08:51 PM
Can't wait to see her splash! Beautiful boat!!

Mo 'Poxy
12-11-2017, 10:45 PM

Do I see a motor well forward of the transom or is that just stuff in the photo?

simmons22
12-12-2017, 09:03 PM
Motor well in/on.....she's just waiting for final bottom coat of flat black, and then 'flipped'. The "gray" paint is Aluthane...I put on 2 coats, fairly heavy. Aluthane is supposedly "really tough stuff". So, I figured, why not.

simmons22
12-12-2017, 09:07 PM
the way my "schedules" for this build have gone, "which Christmas?" I originally thot I'd have her out in one year. And I began to realize just how long it takes epoxy to dry....so that really ruined my schedule. Then two. Nope. Surely in three. Wait, not happening. Not more than three and a half. Guess it's gonna be more than that......now, after four, it's hopeful she'll be in the water by spring, 2018. Just finished the last drop of paint today, Dec 12. So, here's hopin!!!

simmons22
06-14-2018, 08:26 PM
HANGING STRAKES on Simmons Sea Skiff 22 w/o using hardly any clamps..... easy - strakes lay up true and snug.

I created "strake hangers". If you're using 1/4 thick stock, hangers made of 1/4" stock. Using 3/8" stock? Hangers are 3/8" also. Hangers stock must match the stock used for strakes. In my case, 1/2". You can see in pix the basic dimensions I used. You could make them a bit larger, but no smaller. I used sheet rock screws to make hangers, and filed off protruding screw tips. I used silicon bronze screws to screw hangers to strakes, tho. The 'overhang' of hanger onto the previous strake is about 1 1/4" or so. 1 1/2" would be fine too. Hanger needs to have just enough extra room to slide down over the previous strake. But not loose. Keep them 'snug'. If you have to tap the new strake down lightly onto previous, that's good. I used a clamp on transom and stem ends to make sure they stayed in place while I was fitting strakes, and when I was installing17769177701777117772 7/8" bronze #8 screws thru laps.

simmons22
06-14-2018, 08:30 PM
1777317774I began laying strakes using all my nicely made 'clothespin' clamps, but after I figured out the 'hanger' method, I gave must of them away. 6 hangers on my 22 footer worked well. At times, I needed my 36" squeeze clamps, used vertically, at stem to make sure strake didn't climb on me before I had sunk the stem screws. Worked well.

simmons22
06-14-2018, 08:36 PM
Next posting will show how I did the "dreaded frames" using "my" (actually, an idea I borrowed from the guys who laid my fireplace hearth - and had been also used about 2 years prior to my installing frames; but I didn't know this until much later on). I call it my "revolutionary hot glue method". (Man, is it ever slick! And, a note out to Ed V. = the 'traditional' method of laying out frames is now a thing of the past. At least in the Simmons Sea Skiff)

sleek
06-15-2018, 01:43 PM
Not a Simmons but a nice version of a small raised deck tastefully blended in to the shearline

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa455/BobLister/Boat%20Show%20Pics/DSC00101_zpsp9fukq93.jpg (http://s1198.photobucket.com/user/BobLister/media/Boat%20Show%20Pics/DSC00101_zpsp9fukq93.jpg.html)

What is that beauty behind it?

simmons22
06-15-2018, 07:26 PM
she is, isn't she. love the tender!

simmons22
07-04-2018, 10:26 PM
need to include a couple of 4th of July local 189021890318904parade pix of my 23 footer EAGER BEAVER

simmons22
07-31-2018, 08:41 AM
I decided that instead of posting my "pictoral show" on making patterns for the 'dreaded side frames' on this page, to make a separate page for them...... go to 'simmons sea skiff revolutionary method for making side frames'.

It's not 'revolutionary for some guys on WB, but it was to me....at the very least, it'll save you LOTS of time and frustration from having to do it the 'traditional' way.

simmons22
09-14-2018, 08:44 PM
Here's the Eager Beaver at the 42nd Port Townsend Boat Festival, 2018 - wonderful time, got to speak with quite a few people, everyone seemed to like her and her lines......and even Bob Fuller stopped by and gave her 2 serious thumbs up!!! Thanks for the votes of confidence from everyone!22884228852288622887

simmons22
09-18-2018, 09:50 AM
Coolest thing happened at the Boat Festival.....a lady came by, looked the boat over, chatted with my wife and I a little, took a picture or two of the beaver......then continued on her way. A little while later, I noticed this same woman had taken up a lawn chair situated about 25 yards behind us. I noticed that she was looking at the Eager Beaver. Then she would look down at something in her lap. She repeated this a few times before I realized why she was doing this - she was drawing/sketching the boat. This continued for over an hour or so. Finally, I looked over and she had already gotten up, and was walking away. On Sunday, a lady came by and stopped behind the boat. She saw the beaver. Then she asked if this was the Eager Beaver. I replied that it was. Then she took out her cell phone and said, my daughter in law was here yesterday and sketched your boat. I told her that I had watched her doing that. The lady asked if I would like to see the final result. "of course", I answered. So she showed us. And also sent us the image to our cell phone. This is the sketch made of the Eager Beaver at the Port Townsend Boat Festival. It made my day!23107

Breakaway
09-19-2018, 07:23 AM
Very cool!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro