PDA

View Full Version : GoT -continually high quality television!

bamamick
06-05-2015, 08:05 PM
I just watched last year's episodes 9 and 10 over again, and it really struck me how far the producers of that show go to deliver a very high quality product. The battle at Castle Black was freakin' epic, and when you compare what HBO does with this show with what the BBC puts out there it's a joke. And the major networks in the US don't even try. I mean, there haven't been many movies lately that deliver more drama per production dollar than does Game of Thrones.

Does anyone know of any program to compare it with?

I still think that 'Rome' is my all-time favorite television program, but 'GoT' is right up there.

Mickey Lake

Paul Pless
06-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Have you seen True Detective from 2014 yet?
Also from HBO. . .

bamamick
06-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Nope. I actually don't HAVE HBO. I buy dvd's. :)

Mickey Lake

Paul Pless
06-05-2015, 08:16 PM
Check it out, its as good as GOT. . .

StevenBauer
06-05-2015, 08:40 PM
We're watching Outlander now. It's quite good.

Steven

Lew Barrett
06-05-2015, 09:13 PM
I like 'em all, including Rome and Orange is the New Black. Speaking of black, I like Black Sails too. And DeVinci's Demons.
The non-networks are serving up the best fantasy now, the crazier it gets, the more I seem to like it. I guess I'm easy.

Old Dryfoot
06-05-2015, 09:50 PM
HBO seems to have a knack for producing high quality programs. GOT is fantastic, Rome was too, though it should have gone longer than just two seasons. I found Oz to be quite good also. After the GOT finally next weekend, I'm going to see it on the big screen, I'm going to start in on True Detective.

Lew Barrett
06-05-2015, 11:26 PM
I predict you'll like True Detective. I'm no David Blaine, but this is an easy one.

Old Dryfoot
06-06-2015, 12:32 AM
I'm sure I will.

Paul Pless
06-06-2015, 02:39 AM
I'm going to start in on True Detective.which one?

Paul Pless
06-06-2015, 02:41 AM
HBO seems to have a knack for producing high quality programs. GOT is fantastic, Rome was too, though it should have gone longer than just two seasons. I found Oz to be quite good also. The Sopranos, Dead Wood, Band of Brothers

Paul Pless
06-06-2015, 02:42 AM
lets repeat that last one again, Band of Brothers

Gerarddm
06-06-2015, 08:31 AM
Speaking of high quality TV, I recommend the original Brit version of House of Cards. Not that there is anything wrong with the current American version, mind you.

This season on GoT has been fascinating, and plotlines have started to accelerate. I expect a big finish to this season, and then a rousing push for the final two seasons to wrap everything up.

Old Dryfoot
06-06-2015, 09:22 AM
which one?
Is there more than one? Season one if that's the question. . . sorry, it's still early here. :)

The Sopranos, Dead Wood, Band of Brothers
All good. Band of Brothers was outstanding! One of the best TV productions ever IMO.

Old Dryfoot
06-06-2015, 09:26 AM
Speaking of high quality TV, I recommend the original Brit version of House of Cards. Not that there is anything wrong with the current American version, mind you.

This season on GoT has been fascinating, and plotlines have started to accelerate. I expect a big finish to this season, and then a rousing push for the final two seasons to wrap everything up.

With GoT, I'm a little surprised at the absence of one character from last season. Especially when you consider that his story line had a rather big teaser right at the end.

Paul Pless
06-06-2015, 09:29 AM
There are two True Detective series now. Each is a miniseries and each is completely standalone and unrelated as far as characters and storyline. The second True Detective series premiers the week after this season of GoT concludes. HBO has indicated there will be a continuation of the theme next year.

Old Dryfoot
06-06-2015, 09:35 AM
I had no idea. I'll be watching season one and two of the McConaughey, Harrelson one. And apparently, the new one too.

Paul Pless
06-06-2015, 09:38 AM
I'll be watching season one and two of the McConaughey, Harrelson one. Its phenomenal, actually in many ways better than Game of Thrones. . .

Paul Pless
06-06-2015, 09:38 AM
Here's the teaser for season two, quite a cast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OfU7CGY5DQ

Old Dryfoot
06-06-2015, 09:43 AM
It certainly has a big name cast.

Old Dryfoot
06-06-2015, 09:45 AM
I'm looking forward to checking out The Brink too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwsEKGMzTZM

Gerarddm
06-06-2015, 09:59 AM
There was only one season of True Detective so far. Season two with a new cast starts 21 June. The first season set a VERY high bar.

Old Dryfoot
06-06-2015, 10:07 AM
There was only one season of True Detective so far. Season two with a new cast starts 21 June. The first season set a VERY high bar.

Ok, now I get it. :p

It's an anthology. . .

Lew Barrett
06-06-2015, 10:20 AM
All of these programs have terrific music and great production values in general. I loved the theme music in Rome and Michael Kamen's tracks for Band of Brother are just brilliant. GoT's music is just as good with themes for each house. One marvels. Production values are over the top.

My wife dislikes fantasy (and war themed programming in general) but just recently I got her to watch GoT. I'm pretty sure she finds things like white walkers and thousand faced gods silly, but the acting, plot twists and music have been good enough to attract her interest and she's started to enjoy it enough to watch it. The problem is that she didn't watch the first seasons and has only lately joined in.

Now......imagine the difficulty of trying to explain "the story up to now" when your wife asks "who is that?"

Concept: John Snow for President.

Old Dryfoot
06-06-2015, 10:31 AM
I think we're going to find out soon that Jon Snow, is also a Targaryen, the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. Ned Stark took him and claimed him as his bastard son to protect him from King Robert. Think back to Little Finger telling Sansa of the jousting tournament he attended as a young man.

Lew Barrett
06-06-2015, 10:33 AM
I think we're going to find out soon that Jon Snow, is also a Targaryen, the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. Ned Stark took him and claimed him as his bastard son to protect him from King Robert. Think back to Little Finger telling Sansa of the jousting tournament he attended as a young man.

How did I miss that? :) I haven't read the books, and to be honest, I'm not moved to. But I never miss an episode!

Old Dryfoot
06-06-2015, 10:45 AM
They've dropped a few hints along the way concerning Jon's mother. Ned's reluctance to tell Robert about her, then his promise to Jon to one day tell him of his mother. Why would he hide this information if not to protect him? There was also a bit of a mention about Ned's fidelity to Cateyln, he wouldn't have been the type to sleep around on her.

I've not read the books either, though I'm tempted to, in spite of the many negative comments I've read or heard about them. There must be a fair bit of exposition that we are missing out on.

StevenBauer
06-06-2015, 02:00 PM
I just watched last year's episodes 9 and 10 over again, and it really struck me how far the producers of that show go to deliver a very high quality product. The battle at Castle Black was freakin' epic,

That episode really got panned on the fan sites. Stuff like this:

First episode I was disappointed with ... so much stuff in the beginning that, for the first time, really felt like useless filler. And the battle scenes were disappointing.

The wildling raiders build a big campfire just a three hundred yards from CastleBlack and spring their "surprise attack" from there, really?

Jon cuddles dying Ygritte while his brothers are still fighting for their lives?

ONE giant could simply lift the gate? They didn't think about trying that while there were still two of them? Like, maybe, before risking their mammoth and trying to pull the whole gate out?

Ser Alliser holding rousing speeches while the wildlings are already pouring over the walls and gathering in the yard? Maybe he should have had his fighters all lined up and ready by then ...

Lots of trained ranger crows fighting with shields and swords, but apparently the most damage can be done by a cook with a midsize kettle...?

I had no idea that barrels of cold vegetable oil violently explode when you poke a hole in them.

The giant iron scythe on the chain looked pretty cool, but it could only sweep the area directly above the gate. They could have just climbed the wall, like, 100 yards to the left or right of it...? Mance once was a member of the Night's Watch, he must have known about it.

All that stuff put together was so stupid it really took me out of it.

Most disappointing, the ending.

Old Dryfoot
06-06-2015, 07:41 PM
The criticism is not unfounded, but a little on the obsessive side I think. When you become too critical of anything, no matter how good it is, you will find flaws.

Old Dryfoot
06-07-2015, 08:54 PM
Ok, now THAT was a good ending!

StevenBauer
06-07-2015, 09:01 PM
Yep.

Lew Barrett
06-07-2015, 10:13 PM
That episode really got panned on the fan sites. Stuff like this:

First episode I was disappointed with ... so much stuff in the beginning that, for the first time, really felt like useless filler. And the battle scenes were disappointing.

The wildling raiders build a big campfire just a three hundred yards from CastleBlack and spring their "surprise attack" from there, really?

Jon cuddles dying Ygritte while his brothers are still fighting for their lives?

ONE giant could simply lift the gate? They didn't think about trying that while there were still two of them? Like, maybe, before risking their mammoth and trying to pull the whole gate out?

Ser Alliser holding rousing speeches while the wildlings are already pouring over the walls and gathering in the yard? Maybe he should have had his fighters all lined up and ready by then ...

Lots of trained ranger crows fighting with shields and swords, but apparently the most damage can be done by a cook with a midsize kettle...?

I had no idea that barrels of cold vegetable oil violently explode when you poke a hole in them.

The giant iron scythe on the chain looked pretty cool, but it could only sweep the area directly above the gate. They could have just climbed the wall, like, 100 yards to the left or right of it...? Mance once was a member of the Night's Watch, he must have known about it.

All that stuff put together was so stupid it really took me out of it.

Most disappointing, the ending.

All superbly reasoned conclusions deducted with the utmost in logic and military precision. Because I can accept an army of dead, dismembered people and animals raised up by Whitewalkers, 20 year winters, fire breathing dragons, witchy women and magic weapons, but damn, when the oil explodes and the scythe is misplaced, well that's just wrong!

purri
06-07-2015, 10:20 PM
On that note the successor to House of Cards is "To Play the King". A great double act!

Gerarddm
06-08-2015, 01:05 AM
That was a ugly, gut wrenching GoT episode tonight. Jesus. I am drained.

Old Dryfoot
06-08-2015, 08:18 AM
Stannis, is not a nice man.

Lew Barrett
06-08-2015, 11:06 AM
Figures he'd be taking the advice of the red witch.

Captain Intrepid
06-08-2015, 11:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_sY2rjxq6M

That was pretty horrific

Ted Hoppe
06-08-2015, 03:36 PM
The show is is transition with the brilliant show writers turning out work faster than the creator. I love its foreshadowing and character development where kind and nice do not bode well and cruelty wins most battles.

Shireen Barathian "I had bad dreams. About the dragons. They were coming to eat me.

Lew Barrett
06-08-2015, 05:18 PM
It is very well written, it's fun to watch and the character development is quite good, plus of course, the great plot twists, and it is well acted, which suggests good direction. After that, how seriously do you want to take it? Here's the moral of the story: Mean people suck, and damn it, they often do better than the good guys. This is true in GoT and is often true in life. Like most of you, I'd still rather be a good guy, but it sure is confusing sometimes.

Stiletto
06-08-2015, 06:26 PM
I too dislike fantasy, so never got into GoT. True detective was great, and I am looking forward to the next run of Ray Donovan.

Lew Barrett
06-08-2015, 08:18 PM
I don't dislike fantasy when it's s well done as this, I just try not to confuse it for real life. It remains true that the good guys have to be very careful when dealing with the bad guys. It's shocking what can happen to morality when money and power are at stake.

Ted Hoppe
06-09-2015, 12:45 AM
I don't dislike fantasy when it's s well done as this, I just try not to confuse it for real life. It remains true that the good guys have to be very careful when dealing with the bad guys. It's shocking what can happen to morality when money and power are at stake.

There are many here in Silicon Valley who liken themselves to the cast of GoT. The technological elite here have taken to heart the tactics, motivations and ambitions these fictional characters growing with each season. Moreover this show has replaced the metaphors and ideology that the Godfather movies offered.

Lew Barrett
06-09-2015, 07:15 AM
There are many here in Silicon Valley who liken themselves to the cast of GoT. The technological elite here have taken to heart the tactics, motivations and ambitions these fictional characters growing with each season. Moreover this show has replaced the metaphors and ideology that the Godfather movies offered.

That's unsettling. You have seen my "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" gif, I assume?

Michael D. Storey
06-09-2015, 09:26 AM
I too dislike fantasy.

So what are you doin in the Bilge?

Stiletto
06-09-2015, 06:16 PM
So what are you doin in the Bilge?

Touche'

Ted Hoppe
06-09-2015, 11:43 PM
That's unsettling. You have seen my "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" gif, I assume?

It is really quite fascinating. every new generation needs binding fictional ideology - Trusting no one, needing allies, getting rich, freeing slaves that are beholden to new leaders, and counting on unforeseen ghastly disruptions that seem mythical are part of every technology leader and intellectual property venture capitalist. there are old and new gods - the only thing that is certain is there is no benevolence except for the scrapes that spoil before too long or when writing an epilogue to dead knight or lord of the Tech world. Game of Thrones does ring true to many that made a fortune who also grew up on Dungeons and Dragons as well as first person video killing games.

CEO of Palantar with well connected and wealthy friends... Palantir is the data miner solution for the NSA and CIA

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--5EJUFxZu--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/fji0xrms9kpjl2vv4du3.jpg

Joe Lonsdale, co-founder of the unambiguously sinister data-mining startup Palantir and Clarium Capital alum, is just like the rest of us. When he turns 30, he rents out a castle. And when it's time to watch Game of Thrones, he procures a replica Iron Throne for himself. Also in attendance at Lonsdale's viewing party—because who doesn't want to hang out with a guy who identifies with Joffrey?—were venture capitalist John Fogelsong, the Wall Street Journal's Evelyn Rusli, Square's Isabelle Bicaci, and someone in a viking helmet who has perhaps never watched Game of Thrones.

Lew Barrett
06-10-2015, 10:52 AM
I wonder if I could get an invite to watch with them. I'd wear my Samwell suit as it fits me perfectly.

Ted Hoppe
06-10-2015, 02:05 PM
I wonder if I could get an invite to watch with them. I'd wear my Samwell suit as it fits me perfectly.

Lewwell the Wiser.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/542/18061324983_9fc319ac77_o.jpg

Lew Barrett
06-10-2015, 02:57 PM
:) Nice! I'm ready for the (night's) watch party on the peninsula! Mmmmmmm....castles!

(You have to teach me how to do that one of these days!)

Lew Barrett
06-10-2015, 03:03 PM
I love this place, I really do. Thanks, Ted. Made us laugh here.

Michael D. Storey
06-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Touche'

Foiled again?

Old Dryfoot
06-14-2015, 11:14 PM
WTH!?!?!?

Lew Barrett
06-15-2015, 12:05 AM
A surprise ending.

Ted Hoppe
06-15-2015, 12:54 AM
For the Watch!

Gerarddm
06-15-2015, 02:04 AM
Trip hammer last three episodes, wow.

Old Dryfoot
06-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Melisandre, could. . . maybe?

Gerarddm
06-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Maybe. But I think he's gone.

Lew Barrett
06-15-2015, 12:03 PM
Melisandre, could. . . maybe?

Melisandre.

Isn't John Snow a Barathian and didn't she foresee the flag flying over Winterfell? It's just not Stanis who flies the flag. Anyway, Kit Harrington needs the work.

I have to laugh.....we're like Trekkies!

Gerarddm
06-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Jon Snow was a Stark, not a Baratheon. I think all Melisandre said is that she saw Bolton banners burning. Other than the bastard Gendry, lost in the ozone somewhere, House Baratheon is now wiped out. So who gets Dragonstone?

And yeh, Lew. Except I will not role play.

Lew Barrett
06-15-2015, 02:26 PM
I'm still thinking Melisandra might come through for Jon (got the spelling right this time), Gerard. How many pleasant people can they afford to kill off, surround, maim or blind in one or two episodes, anyway? They're running out of good guys.

Can't wait to see the Boltons get theirs.:D