PDA

View Full Version : Criminal charges against Mpls-St. Paul Archdiocese

Keith Wilson
06-05-2015, 02:07 PM
The Minneapolis-St. Paul Roman Catholic Archdiocese is being criminally charged in the case of Curtis Wehmeyer, a former priest now in prison for seuxally abusing boys. (Link (http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/06/05/archdiocese-investigation)) Unlike a lot of of the cases that have gotten publicity, this is recent; the crimes took place in 2010. The indictments says that church officials had known about Wehmeyer for some ten years previously, and had not reported it. This is a direct result of some first-class old-time investigative journalism by Minnesota Public Radio. The DA said there wasn't enough evidence to charge any individual church official. I had hoped the they'd find enough to charge archbishop John Nienstedt, since there seems to be good evidence that he personally knew about this for a long time as well, and he himself has been accused of sexual misconduct by multiple former seminarians or priests - (not child abuse; link (http://www.startribune.com/twin-cities-archbishop-john-nienstedt-faces-new-sex-claims/265425801/)), but the DA is a very careful fellow, and won't bring charges he doesn't think he can prove just to grandstand (John Choi, a good man). A nasty, nasty incident. I had thought the RCC had mostly gotten past covering up abuse, but apparently not. Good work, MPR.

Gerarddm
06-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Now tell me again the reason why religious institutions enjoy tax-free status.

It will be quite revelatory how the Vatican responds to this.

TomF
06-05-2015, 02:40 PM
If there's evidence enough for prosecution, then prosecute - whether for abuse, for covering up a crime, etc. Same as within any organization.

It's the more shocking to us because of the hypocrisy, and should be. The same hypocrisy we decry in other organizations which clamour about ethics and responsibility, and fall well short.

It shouldn't be a surprise, though, that wherever targets present themselves, some will take advantage of them. Tragic, but not surprising. Most cases of sexual abuse happen in a person's own home, by a family member ... step-family member ... or other person well known to the victim.

Nicholas Scheuer
06-05-2015, 03:55 PM
If the Bishop is holding the bag, JAIL the (person). Some people just have to learn the hard way.