PDA

View Full Version : Joe Biden was right on Iraq? James Brooks thinks so.

Gerarddm
06-05-2015, 02:07 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/05/opinion/the-separation-strategy-on-iraq.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

Much to be said for his observations here, especially the thought how top-down won't work there. The reader comments are interesting as well.

Norman Bernstein
06-05-2015, 02:11 PM
I agree.... our VP, despite his propensity for gaffes, is actually a very smart guy.... and if his advice had been followed, the situation might be very different today.

Nicholas Scheuer
06-05-2015, 04:00 PM
I posted the same idea, in so many words, back then. Of course it was rejected out of hand, which is why I have so little respect for many here. I've always had huge respect for Biden, the man, and Biden, the Politician.

jack grebe
06-05-2015, 04:08 PM
So, he shoulda been the nominee??????????

come on dems......get your shyte together

Paul Pless
06-05-2015, 04:16 PM
. . .the central Iraqi government would still have performed a few important tasks, but many other powers would have been devolved to regional governments in the Sunni, Shiite and Kurdish areas.Problem is while yes there is a distinct Kurdish region and while a few areas are either profoundly Sunni or Shiite, the majority of Iraqi cities were integrated Sunni and Shiite. Partitioning by group would have been just as impossible as having a fair governance by Shiites at the Federal level. . .

Fooking quagmire

Nicholas Scheuer
06-05-2015, 05:05 PM
You're getting statements by candidates mixed up with other candidates' superior politics, Jack. One statement doesn't make the winning candidate.

PeterSibley
06-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Don't worry , there will be a Caliphate administering things in Sunni areas soon, Shia will administer Shia and the Kurds will defend an independent Kurdistan, the Turks permitting.

My biggest fear is a partitioning of the populations and massive movements as the two sects become more and more established in separate areas and the horrors that will flow from that..

Boater14
06-05-2015, 08:49 PM
that's David Brooks...if you tuned into a real newspaper more often you'd know his name. not a cheap shot just sayin". they laughed at Joe. Who's laughing now. O...any of your kids dead?

Vince Brennan
06-06-2015, 07:15 AM
Just my opinion, but that was an unnecessarily cruel query. Let's not sink to the level of some forumites.

Gerarddm
06-06-2015, 08:26 AM
#8: just so. I must have had a senior moment when I was typing ( or keyboarding in today's parlance ) the thread title.