PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if the sea lions were laughing?

Canoez
06-05-2015, 07:27 AM
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Rh4YTUaa7VsQV.DKh6._Tw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTY0MDtpbD1wbGFuZTtweW 9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz05NjA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/4e6e02c01c497d19780f6a7067005555.jpg

Fake orca nearly drowns before it can scare Ore. sea lions (http://news.yahoo.com/fake-orca-nearly-drowns-scare-ore-sea-lions-085840880.html)
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) An effort to use a fake, life-sized orca to scare off hundreds of sea lions crowding docks off the Oregon coast ended, at least temporarily, with the fiberglass creature belly-up after it was swamped by a passing ship.

Still, Port of Astoria Executive Director Jim Knight said the sea lions briefly "got deathly silent" when the orca sailed into view. That was just before it started listing and tipped over Thursday night.

Once the 32-foot killer whale replica is dried out and repaired, "There's a chance we'll do it again" Friday, Knight said. Earlier Thursday, officials had to find a replacement motor for the fake orca actually a boat with a driver inside that belongs to a whale watching business. It was brought overland from Bellingham, Washington. Sea lions have become a nuisance to Astoria and commercial fishermen because they damage docks, prevent boaters from using the docks and eat lots of salmon.

Knight took the day's adventure in stride, calling it "a learning experience."

Once equipped with the replacement motor, the fake orca "was going fairly well and then a cargo ship came by and its wake swamped the whale," he said. "Our crew from the port had to go rescue the operator so he didn't drown. "You can't make this stuff up," he added. He estimates 1,000 people showed up to watch, applauding as the bogus whale took to the water.

As for the sea lions, there may have been an effect beyond their brief silence. Knight said there were 400 to 500 sea lions Thursday morning and perhaps 200 by Thursday night, when the fake orca was tied up to the docks where they rest. "They probably think it's dead now that it's belly up."

Knight wishes the orca had gotten a chance to play its recordings of real killer whale calls, especially the "call to dinner" usually emitted in the wild after they kill a sea lion or seal.
The original plan called for the orca to be driven around in the waters near Astoria, free of charge to the port. It can also tow a smaller, 7-foot-long orca behind it. In recent weeks, the Port of Astoria has tried creative ways to keep the animals away, including installing beach balls, colorful tape, chicken wire and electrified mats. Of those, Knight said the beach balls have been the least expensive solution with initially the best results.

"There's something about flashing, moving bright colors that (sea lions) don't like," he said. "They jumped off the docks."

He said the beach ball idea could be revived.

The sea lion population has increased dramatically in recent decades. The animals are protected under the Marine Mammal Protection Act, but the law includes provisions allowing for deterrence of the sea lions to protect private property. The Astoria sea lion population is dwindling at the moment as many of them follow the salmon migration north. However by mid-August, they'll be back in force, Knight said.

(http://news.yahoo.com/photos/california-sea-lions-harbor-seals-sleep-docks-east-photo-054623018.html)

Is this a side effect of legalization in Oregon? :rolleyes::d;)

switters
06-05-2015, 08:49 AM
Isn't Bobbys from Astoria? Is it possible he was involved in this? How hard is it to build a floating orca with a smallmotor?

Other questions?

Was it stitch and glue, lapstrake, waht?

electric motor?

House paint?

inquiring minds want to know where the study plans are?

Canoez
06-05-2015, 09:38 AM
I think it was that other stuff...

I'm sure lapstrake would have had some benefits, but it seems to have been poorly ballasted.

Well, it is in Astoria. Perhaps the Columbia River Maritime Museum took the lines for study plans. Maybe Sam Johnson will chime in...

John of Phoenix
06-05-2015, 09:46 AM
...actually a boat with a driver inside... With a beach ball for a PFD?

paulf
06-05-2015, 10:12 AM
I've done seafloor mapping on that coast, and had seals or sea lions sit on the work platform for hours when they hear Orcas in the area.

This job could possibly be done with acoustics without the model.

Hwyl
06-05-2015, 10:14 AM
I'd noticed that Flying Orca had not been posting.

Harvey Golden
06-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Isn't Bobbys from Astoria? Is it possible he was involved in this?

....that does look like roofing tar.

paulf
06-05-2015, 10:19 AM
I'd noticed that Flying Orca had not been posting.
Interesting, also interesting is that a whale watching company owns the thing...like providing a fake to your costomers. "it was worth every penny, we saw a killer whale!!!'

ahp
06-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Are sea lions tasty, to humans? Just a thought.

David G
06-05-2015, 10:35 AM
No... bbbbbys is NOT from Astoria. The way I understand it, he is barely allowed into Astoria. He's from a very small town about 20 miles south of there. It is, however, my hometown. And I claim no responsibility for this bit of silliness... but I like it. Hilarious. As the many said; you can't make this stuff up. I suspect Sam, wise man that he is, will remain mute on the subject <G>

bobbys
06-05-2015, 12:39 PM
If this were played upon a stage..........

Harvey Golden
06-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Don't worry folks-- Oregon actually has a very good track record with dealing with undesirable sea mammals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVW8BferzQ

David G
06-05-2015, 10:20 PM
<snort>

Lew Barrett
06-05-2015, 11:28 PM
Freighter wake sucks. If those guys are out of Astoria, they know something abut rough water but they may not have had a handle on the forca (fake orca). How often could you get to sail one?

Lew Barrett
06-05-2015, 11:33 PM
Does Lee hail or put out from Astoria?

L.W. Baxter
06-06-2015, 12:16 AM
Does Lee hail or put out from Astoria?

I put out all up and down the west coast.

L.W. Baxter
06-06-2015, 12:20 AM
Why do you ask?

bobbys
06-06-2015, 12:22 AM
Why do you ask?

Maybe he wanted you to pilot the fake orca?.

heck all I wanted to do was throw the beach balls.

bobbys
06-06-2015, 12:24 AM
No... bbbbbys is NOT from Astoria. The way I understand it, he is barely allowed into Astoria. He's from a very small town about 20 miles south of there. It is, however, my hometown. And I claim no responsibility for this bit of silliness... but I like it. Hilarious. As the many said; you can't make this stuff up. I suspect Sam, wise man that he is, will remain mute on the subject <G>.

O sure ban me from Finn town just when its Goonies week!

Lew Barrett
06-06-2015, 12:28 AM
I put out all up and down the west coast.

I tried. Nobody's buying my product.

Lew Barrett
06-06-2015, 12:30 AM
Why do you ask?

Just because this event occurred there. Bobbys was mentioned, but I thought I recalled seeing a picture here of your boat setting out from Astoria, or maybe I read it.

L.W. Baxter
06-06-2015, 12:32 AM
Just because this event occurred there. Bobbys was mentioned, but I thought I recalled seeing a picture here of your boat setting out from Astoria, or maybe I read it.

I was being cheeky. Where's that cheeky face icon when you need it.

Lew Barrett
06-06-2015, 10:48 AM
I got that! You 'put out' up and down the west coast and catch "fish." I just catch cold.

David G
06-06-2015, 10:58 AM
I got that! You 'put out' up and down the west coast and catch "fish." I just catch cold.

At least you don't catch crabs. I've heard rumor that Lee has had THAT happen to him...

switters
06-06-2015, 11:02 AM
The salmon trying to go upstream hearing orcas are going to hide, the sea lions will climb up on anything they can find. And what happens if the me so horny sound track gets played by accident? Think about the prop location. This does not seem well thought out from several angles.

bobbys
06-06-2015, 11:50 AM
I asked them to play THE SOUND OF MUSic soundtrack..

They ignored me.

well Ya know.....Karmas a beech.

skuthorp
06-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Build it and they will come………………...

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/52oZbRBMFhUNb6BvVAbR9w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTU0MDtpbD1wbGFuZTtweW 9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz05NjA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/video/video.reutersnews.com/2015-05-29T201658Z_1_LOP000H2NWJZK_RTRMADP_BASEIMAGE-960X540_USA-OREGON-SEA-LIONS.JPG

BrianW
06-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Remove them from the MMA, set a reasonable limit, and charge for permits.

Problem solved.

skuthorp
06-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Sea lions are a food source for large predators, any information on those numbers?

the_gr8t_waldo
06-06-2015, 09:32 PM
Ya got a love small towns- they twice as hard to be crazyer than cityfied folk