PDA

View Full Version : Rowing compass?

Joel Herzel
09-08-2000, 06:18 PM
Anyone know of a backwards reading compass used by rowers other than the Aquamate? I bought one, but the base is so big (4" or so) I would like to find one that is smaller in diameter. Maybe 3" or thereabouts. Thanks.

Joel

Joel Herzel
Anyone know of a backwards reading compass used by rowers other than the Aquamate? I bought one, but the base is so big (4" or so) I would like to find one that is smaller in diameter. Maybe 3" or thereabouts. Thanks.

Joel

Joel Herzel

Joel

casem
09-08-2000, 07:44 PM
Try www.clcboats.com (http://www.clcboats.com)

They sell a rower's compass which has gotta be smaller than 4".

casem

casem

Joel Herzel
09-08-2000, 11:47 PM
Thanks, Casem. The Aquamate that I got was the one from CLC. Seems like a good one, especially for the $45 price tag, just a little big.

Joel Herzel
Thanks, Casem. The Aquamate that I got was the one from CLC. Seems like a good one, especially for the $45 price tag, just a little big.

Joel Herzel

Ian McColgin
09-09-2000, 05:35 PM
I use a french unit that's like the ubiquitous 'hocky puck' pelorous except it has a larger and squared black rubbery receptical, has a great strong tritium glow, and you can see the north end of the needle between the two plastic lines that hold the sighting mirror. Once going the way I want, I just lay the compass on the bottom of the boat such that north arrow is between the two plastic lines - rather as you would with an old fashioned flat compass that has a proper verge ring. It's easier to remember to keep the needle between the lines, and really easy to see, than to remember what the course was. The regular hocky puck also works but it's sorta reversed since you can's see the north end of the needle well except at the south end of the house. It does not work as well as my other one at night.

G'luck

Ian McColgin
I use a french unit that's like the ubiquitous 'hocky puck' pelorous except it has a larger and squared black rubbery receptical, has a great strong tritium glow, and you can see the north end of the needle between the two plastic lines that hold the sighting mirror. Once going the way I want, I just lay the compass on the bottom of the boat such that north arrow is between the two plastic lines - rather as you would with an old fashioned flat compass that has a proper verge ring. It's easier to remember to keep the needle between the lines, and really easy to see, than to remember what the course was. The regular hocky puck also works but it's sorta reversed since you can's see the north end of the needle well except at the south end of the house. It does not work as well as my other one at night.

G'luck

Ian McColgin

G'luck