PDA

View Full Version : sternpost to keel joint

vonglass
05-29-2015, 01:28 PM
A simple question: should I epoxy the new sternpost in? The surfaces do not match perfectly, of course, so something is needed here. What do you think, can I just glue them? Or, if not, what kind of sealant can be used here?

http://www.geminion.pl/jarl/sternpost.jpg

Jay Greer
05-29-2015, 01:44 PM
Do the fanned dotted lines represent drift or thru bolts? If so, by tradition, luting the surfaces with red lead followed with tar is one method. If you feel that glue may be an advantage, G/flex is the new kid on the block as it holds better on difficult woods than other modern epoxy adhesives do.
Jay

J.Madison
05-29-2015, 02:00 PM
Those are very big chunks of wood to glue, not to mention its all end grain. I'd recommend bedding them in something flexible unless it is all a laminated structure already. Otherwise normal shrinkage cycles will destroy the glue joint. Dolphinite or roofing tar are traditional. Really any bedding compound. Seal the surfaces with paint first.

vonglass
05-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Do the fanned dotted lines represent drift or thru bolts?
Bolts, six of them through the sternpost.

The new piece is laminated but I kinda like the idea of a flexible joint. I'll see what I can buy in PL.

EDIT: AFAIK traditional tar is called dziegieć in Polish. Good luck with pronouncing it ;)

Jay Greer
05-29-2015, 03:23 PM
A flexable joint is why I mentioned both red lead followed by a smearing of tar or, second, if a flexible glue is your choice, G/flex.
Jjay

nedL
05-29-2015, 09:23 PM
I would also recommend something soft and flexible (roofing tar).