PDA

View Full Version : Modern Medicine is Amazing

Canoez
05-22-2015, 09:42 AM
SWMBO has a medical issue that causes her to have benign slow growing tumors on the dura of her brain. Last Fall they told us that one of them (She had them named, Itsy, Bitsy and Ditsy...); Bitsy was to come out. Bitsy was a 28mm x 26mm Meningioma and was getting close to a blood vessel so they opted to get it before it made a future surgery more difficult by compllicating it with the blood vessel.

We arrived at MGH in Boston on Tuesday for pre-op work and arrived Wednesday at 5:30 AM for surgery which lasted until about 1:30 PM. I was able to visit with her in neuro ICU late Wednesday afternoon and evening. Yesterday, just after lunch, they moved her from neuro ICU to a regular neuro ward. We went for a walk around the ward last night.

This morning after some breakfast instruction and PT evaluations, she's going home - less than 48 hours after having brain surgery. Amazing to me.

I still think the back of her head looks like a Raggedy Ann doll, 'tho.

http://i58.tinypic.com/einy1g.jpg

Garret
05-22-2015, 09:46 AM
Wow! Here's hoping the recovery continues well.

Jim Ledger
05-22-2015, 09:49 AM
Best wishes here, Craig.

Peerie Maa
05-22-2015, 09:52 AM
Best wishes.

Canoez
05-22-2015, 09:53 AM
The "Wow!" is right. Less than 24 hours after surgery, we had a short walk through the neruo ICU as she had been feeling "cooped up" in her room. She wanted to go for a walk and wasn't willing to wait for a nurse. The nurses watched her with a mixture of amazement and slight annoyance, but let her go anyway. I think she was the only patient on that ward who was capable of walking on her own. They had originally said that she'd likely be here until Sunday or Monday, but her recovery has been nothing short of amazing.

My grandfather on my father's side had a history of seizures and ultimately was diagnosed later in life with a tumor - I'm not sure of what kind. It was what killed him, ultimately. If he had been around today, it is likely it would have been diagnosed earlier with modern imaging technology and perhaps even treatable.

Norman Bernstein
05-22-2015, 09:54 AM
SWMBO has a medical issue that causes her to have benign slow growing tumors on the dura of her brain....

Wonderful that the whole experience was so brief... and glad to hear it all went well.

I'd hate to think what something like that cost, though, if you were uninsured. SWMBO had a brain aneurysm repaired by filling with platinum coils: in one morning, out the next. The tab was $58,000.... thankfully, covered by insurance.

Canoez
05-22-2015, 09:56 AM
My employers value good health insurance, Norm. I pay $30 every two weeks towards my part of the coverage - which is excellent. I cannot imagine what the bill for this is going to be, but our portion of it will be less than the cost of the tolls and parking here.

Bruce Taylor
05-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Those stitches look very much like the ones my son earned, a few years ago. Best wishes to you and your spouse. Yes, modern medicine is amazing. Y>

Norman Bernstein
05-22-2015, 10:02 AM
My employers value good health insurance, Norm. I pay $30 every two weeks towards my part of the coverage - which is excellent. I cannot imagine what the bill for this is going to be, but our portion of it will be less than the cost of the tolls and parking here.

Glad to hear it... and your $30 biweekly contribution is incredibly small. In our case, OUR share of the employer-provided coverage amounts to around $600/month... and I'm VERY glad to pay it. I have no significant medical issues... but SWMBO has Parkinsons, Celiac disease, and a brain aneurysm... just imagine what things would be like if she lost her job, and there was no Obamacare.... she'd be utterly uninsurable.

Rum_Pirate
05-22-2015, 10:14 AM
Best wishes for her recovery.

May Itsy and Ditsy cease growing, remain benign and not have to be removed.
If they do have to be removed in the future may the surgery and recovery go as well as it did for Bitsy.

Paul Pless
05-22-2015, 10:23 AM
Wow. Best wishes to you and your wife on her continued amazing recovery.

JimD
05-22-2015, 10:29 AM
Yes, trepanning has come a long way. Glad the surgeons don't wear those silly hats any more. Fashions from the middle ages were even worse than the 70s. Glad it went well for you.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Hieronymus_Bosch_053_detail.jpg

Robbie 2
05-22-2015, 04:01 PM
Best wishes for a good recovery.

PeterSibley
05-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Wow ! Amazingly impressive and congratulations to your wife. Y>|:)

BrianW
05-22-2015, 08:13 PM
Glad all is well!

Regine had a new mitral valve installed a few months ago. She had no less than seven small pumps connected to her with tubes after surgery, but within two days was up walking around the ICU. Discharged and home in about a week.

Lew Barrett
05-22-2015, 09:59 PM
To her good health and continuing recovery!

Canoez
05-23-2015, 11:25 AM
Thank you all for the well wishes. We're home now and it's much nicer and quieter here at home than the hospital. The only PITA is managing the laundry list of medications myself now that I'm home.

Glad to hear that your loved ones have had the benefit of such great care as well. A modern miracle of medicine, if you ask me.