PDA

View Full Version : Oregon -- wonderful stuff

Mike Field
09-29-2003, 03:00 AM
I've had this plank lying round for a while. See that little silver sliver on top? That's a 12" steel rule.

This thing has a cross-section of 15" x 1", and it's 53" long. I'd hate to think how old it is.

My question to you good folks is -- what to use it for?

http://www.woodenboatfittings.com.au./public/oregon.jpg

Mike Field
I've had this plank lying round for a while. See that little silver sliver on top? That's a 12" steel rule.

This thing has a cross-section of 15" x 1", and it's 53" long. I'd hate to think how old it is.

Mike Field

doorstop
09-29-2003, 03:22 AM
Well 'er 'umm you could chop it into 4 beeeyooteefull chopping boards for the kitchen?
Make reeeeaaly big wooden spoon and write something stupid on it?
Helluva big skateboard?

Come on you lot, some suggestions for Mike before he just wastes it!!!

doorstop
Well 'er 'umm you could chop it into 4 beeeyooteefull chopping boards for the kitchen?
Helluva big skateboard?

doorstop
Helluva big skateboard?

N. Scheuer
09-29-2003, 06:27 AM
I'd just keep it awhile longer, Mike.

Sooner or later I always need Doug Fir to make something strong out of, and I go looking for a plank to run through the table saw.

Moby Nick

N. Scheuer

Sooner or later I always need Doug Fir to make something strong out of, and I go looking for a plank to run through the table saw.

Moby Nick

N. Scheuer

Moby Nick

Bob P
09-29-2003, 09:08 AM
Ya got me all excited over the Oregon title. Was going to come over and drool.

Bob, no longer in Oregon

Bob P

Bob, no longer in Oregon

Bob P

Bob, no longer in Oregon

Mrleft8
09-29-2003, 09:38 AM
Looks like it'd make a fine header over a doorway.

Mrleft8

Mrleft8

Bob Smalser
09-30-2003, 12:36 AM
Old-growth DF...sometimes called "Oregon Pine".

Bob Smalser

Bob Smalser

ishmael
09-30-2003, 06:11 AM
Hmm, not a terribly attractive piece of stock. I was gonna say use it for a plank keel in a nice skiff...until I scrolled down and saw how long it was.

Hmm. Sawn frames for Redmond's 'Whisp', and you'll probably have enough for the skeg too. Three sheets of Occume, a little more solid stock, knock it out in two weeks. ;)

ishmael
Hmm, not a terribly attractive piece of stock. I was gonna say use it for a plank keel in a nice skiff...until I scrolled down and saw how long it was.

Hmm. Sawn frames for Redmond's 'Whisp', and you'll probably have enough for the skeg too. Three sheets of Occume, a little more solid stock, knock it out in two weeks. ;)

ishmael

Mike Field
09-30-2003, 06:45 AM
Yes, well I don't know about you US types, but we don't get to see boards like that out here too often. I'd rather like to to do something with it that will keep it the width it is.

On the other hand, I don't suppose there's much point in keeping it in the workshop just to admire it, either....

Mike Field
Yes, well I don't know about you US types, but we don't get to see boards like that out here too often. I'd rather like to to do something with it that will keep it the width it is.

On the other hand, I don't suppose there's much point in keeping it in the workshop just to admire it, either....

Mike Field

ishmael
09-30-2003, 06:56 AM
Well, when I said it wasn't attractive I was speaking purely visually, as in using it in furniture. But fir isn't particularly attractive for that anyway, to me. Because of its length that's the first thing that springs to mind, furniture.

Stock like that is getting harder to come by everywhere, but that almost qualifies as an 'offcut'.

Hmm, keeping its width. I can't think of a way to help ya. And it's only an inch thick. If thicker it would make a nice bowsprit.

ishmael
Well, when I said it wasn't attractive I was speaking purely visually, as in using it in furniture. But fir isn't particularly attractive for that anyway, to me. Because of its length that's the first thing that springs to mind, furniture.

Stock like that is getting harder to come by everywhere, but that almost qualifies as an 'offcut'.

Hmm, keeping its width. I can't think of a way to help ya. And it's only an inch thick. If thicker it would make a nice bowsprit.

ishmael

bret
09-30-2003, 07:58 AM
Howsaboutta bench out by the fire? I collected enough pieces like that doing demolition work to build a most massive work bench.

bret
Howsaboutta bench out by the fire? I collected enough pieces like that doing demolition work to build a most massive work bench.

bret