PDA

View Full Version : Router Dilemma Redux

Barry
07-31-2003, 12:56 AM
As an adjunct to Nicholas' inquiry about routers.

Seems P-C is back in the game.

The new 890 routers that Porter-Cable is rolling out later this week are great-looking new tools that fill out a complete line of router choices for Porter-Cable. They are 2 1/4 HP tools, so they have plenty of guts for driving large diameter router bits, as well as power to stand up to the grind that pros put their tools through day after day. And talk about features! There are several routers on the market in the relatively new 2-1/4HP category. All of them have some interesting and useful features, but the new P-C seems to have collected them all and put them into a single router series. Name a feature, and the 890's have it.
Here's a list to give you an idea of what the 890 series is all about: Variable speed motors with electronic feedback, a plunge base system, above the table height adjustment, above the table motor release, under the table power switch access, an above the table bit changing system, spindle lock with a power switch lock-out, a palm grip support and various dust collection options -- including a cool-through-the-handle option -- as well as a clear subbase: what more do you need? (Don't answer yet ... but stay tuned, because there are even more details to talk about.) For a complete look at this new line of routers, check out the November / December issue of the Woodworker's Journal. I'll be putting them through their paces and reporting my findings. Until then, keep on making sawdust, and look to the eZine for the latest woodworking show reports.

See a video at:

PC 890 (http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/currentissue.cfm)

[ 07-31-2003, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: Barry ]

Barry

The new 890 routers that Porter-Cable is rolling out later this week are great-looking new tools that fill out a complete line of router choices for Porter-Cable. They are 2 1/4 HP tools, so they have plenty of guts for driving large diameter router bits, as well as power to stand up to the grind that pros put their tools through day after day. And talk about features! There are several routers on the market in the relatively new 2-1/4HP category. All of them have some interesting and useful features, but the new P-C seems to have collected them all and put them into a single router series. Name a feature, and the 890's have it.
Here's a list to give you an idea of what the 890 series is all about: Variable speed motors with electronic feedback, a plunge base system, above the table height adjustment, above the table motor release, under the table power switch access, an above the table bit changing system, spindle lock with a power switch lock-out, a palm grip support and various dust collection options -- including a cool-through-the-handle option -- as well as a clear subbase: what more do you need? (Don't answer yet ... but stay tuned, because there are even more details to talk about.) For a complete look at this new line of routers, check out the November / December issue of the Woodworker's Journal. I'll be putting them through their paces and reporting my findings. Until then, keep on making sawdust, and look to the eZine for the latest woodworking show reports.

See a video at:

Barry

See a video at:

Nicholas Carey
07-31-2003, 01:08 AM
Grrr...wouldn't you know it. I finally break down and get one...and they go and upgrade on me. :mad:

It's as bad as buying computer hardware. :D

Nicholas Carey
Grrr...wouldn't you know it. I finally break down and get one...and they go and upgrade on me. :mad:

Nicholas Carey

Barry
07-31-2003, 01:09 AM
No Kidding!!

Barry
No Kidding!!

Barry
No Kidding!!