View Full Version : The NIÑA Logbook, 1928

05-08-2015, 01:05 PM
Forum members who are also subscribers of Woodenboat might like to know that we have posted a scanned copy of a valuable historic logbook of the schooner NIÑA, at no charge to subscribers at www.woodenboat.com

In 1928, right after her launch, the beautiful staysail schooner NIÑA won the Queen of Spain’s Cup in a transatlantic race from New York to Spain. As Forum members may know, NIÑA’s victory in 1928 began the saga of one of the most storied ocean racing yachts of all time, until she was tragically lost at sea with all hands in 2013. As noted sadly in this Forum and elsewhere, she remains in many hearts as one of the most beautiful and successful racing schooners ever built.

This rare Logbook from 1928, compiled by NIÑA's navigator, Laurence M. Lombard after winning the race, contains his thoughts on the passage as well as photographs taken mid-ocean, and a map. It has recently come into possession of the Research Library at WoodenBoat in Brooklin, Maine, and we are excited to share the material with our extended WoodenBoat family, at no extra charge to subscribers. The Hammond family (the original owners of both NIÑA and this Logbook) have given us permission to post this material for the benefit of yachting scholars everywhere.

WoodenBoat Library has posted Part 1 of the scanned copy of the NINA Logbook in the Subscriber’s Section of woodenboat.com, annotated with reference material and commentary.


05-09-2015, 07:06 AM
Thanks, Q.

05-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Here are a few images from the Logbook.

The Unboxing with white gloves

Rosenfeld photo of NIÑA at the Start

Page One, the Start, 1928
Capt Paul Hammond before the Start

05-11-2015, 11:48 AM
Interesting that NICANOR had been in England for the 1927 Fastnet race, won by the Albert Strange designed TALLY HO on time over the only other finisher, another Alden schooner LA GOLETA recently built in England. NICANOR was the only other boat that made it around Lands End but broke a gaff, retiring to an Irish port while the other two carried on to round Fastnet rock and finish.