PDA

View Full Version : Dug out canoe building, finland 1936

skuthorp
05-06-2015, 09:48 AM
.using axes and adzes, spokeshaves, fire, pitch etc.
From Gavin Aykin's excellent site.
http://intheboatshed.net/2015/04/28/dugout-canoe-building-in-finland-1936/

bluedog225
05-06-2015, 12:15 PM
Wow. Lot of work. Wonder what they were harvesting.

Thanks for posting.

skuthorp
05-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Possibly reeds for thatch or for winter stock feed?

heimlaga
05-23-2015, 02:06 PM
They mostly harvested cattle fodder I think. There weren't fields enough to feed enough cattle to feed all the people so fertile marchlands were very economically important.

Those boats were hollowed out from aspen logs. Then hot pine tar was poured inside and the sides were heated from the outside over a fire until they became pliable. I understand most of what the Finnish spekaer voice says and find it very interresting.

In the late 1940-ies a farmer in this village found a boat when ploughing a newly drained bog which had been a sheltered cove in the iron age. The boat was built with a wide T-shaped keel hollowed out from a big log so that it formed what would be the keel and garboards in a #modern" clinker built boat. Above them were 2 or possibly 3 clinker strakes per side held together with wooden pegs the size of wine corks. The boat had a stem and tied to it was a horsehair rope. Archeologists were called in and the boat was excavated and brought to Helsinki. Then it disappeared and cannot be traced.
It did not fit in with the nationalistic ideas af a Finland inhabited by only ethnic Finns so supposedly it was destroyed along with the excavation notes.

I see a clear line of developement from the expanded dugout to the clinker built boat with dugout bottom and then to the clinker built double ender that was perfected in the wiking age.

Peerie Maa
05-23-2015, 05:37 PM
I see a clear line of developement from the expanded dugout to the clinker built boat with dugout bottom and then to the clinker built double ender that was perfected in the wiking age.

Just so.
http://nautarch.tamu.edu/class/316/hjortspring/Picture4.jpg

The tee shaped keels of the royal yachts are effectively dug out techniques reduced to a vestigial bottom. The stem of the Roskilde knarr and the Gokstad faering are also effectively dug out as are the ile chines of the iron age river craft.