PDA

View Full Version : Shop Dust Collection

ron ll
05-05-2015, 10:34 AM
I have a very small shop, most tools are on wheels. I have an older Fein Vac that I use for dust collection by connecting the hose to whatever tool I'm using, I also use it a lot for floor and general vacuuming at the end of the day. This setup works fine for my needs. The problem is that when I'm working on projects on the boat, this same vac is on the boat, leaving me with no way to collect dust or vacuum in my shop.

So one option is to buy a second Fein (or sim.) vac; about $300. Or I can get a small dedicated dust collector for the shop. Rockler has a little portable squirrel cage and bag type; about $200. Comparing the specs, the noise level (important to me) is about 60-70dB for the Fein, about 70-80dB for the Rockler. But the odd one is the Fein claims 151 CFM suction, and the Rockler claims 650 CFM. Something doesn't seem right there; apples and oranges or something.

So is a dedicated dust collector a better option for a small shop? Dragging a small diameter hose like the Fein's around the shop is okay, I have no desire to install a large diameter hose or piping system. And my tools are all set up for the small diameter Fein hose. Other options?

Canoeyawl
05-05-2015, 10:56 AM
Check Craigslist for dust collectors, around here there are plenty of them in "like new" condition - cheap.

ron ll
05-05-2015, 11:07 AM
Check Craigslist for dust collectors, around here there are plenty of them in "like new" condition - cheap.

Several listed, not much cheaper, and most are larger dedicated systems that I simply don't have room for.

Jim Mahan
05-05-2015, 11:18 AM
I have a collection of shop dust. Mighty fine, too, if I do say so.

Canoeyawl
05-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Several listed, not much cheaper, and most are larger dedicated systems that I simply don't have room for.

Nor do I...
Here at home I just use a cheap shop vac and wear earplugs. It's only for a couple of hours a week, maybe.

ron ll
05-05-2015, 11:53 AM
The VacMaster is intriguing, especially the price. But I can't find the comp specs for it. I'm concerned about the dB and CFM. I'll keep searching. The Fein 60-70 dB level is hard to beat.

Paul Pless
05-05-2015, 11:58 AM
It out-sucks perfect bilge vernacular

Paul Pless
05-05-2015, 12:00 PM
The VacMaster is intriguing, especially the price. But I can't find the comp specs for it. I'm concerned about the dB and CFM. I'll keep searching. The Fein 60-70 dB level is hard to beat.Festools are rated at 62dB, but suck less than do the Feins.

ron ll
05-05-2015, 12:08 PM
Festools are rated at 62dB, but suck less than do the Feins.

Cheapest Festool vac is $475 and as you say, sucks less. Same dB as Fein but 130 CFM to Fein's 151 CFM. Even $300 for another Fein is stretching my budget.

Gib Etheridge
05-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Maybe you can put the Rockler outside and run a hose fitting thru the wall?

Comparing the horse power or wattage may resolve the CFPMs for you.

ron ll
05-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Home Depot lists the VacMaster at the same price as Amazon, so you can essentially try it out, and return it to the store if it doesn't suit you.

Tried that. Home Depot has it on line only, not in store. :)

Paul Pless
05-05-2015, 01:16 PM
You could build a little box to put over your vac to further attenuate the noise.

Jim Mahan
05-05-2015, 01:26 PM
You cod, build a little box to put over your vac to further attenuate the noise!

Punctuation.

Almost the entire volume of the known universe is vacuum. So suck is good. But there must be, somewhere, some suck that is bad, and not just in the vernacular. No doubt some stuff under pressure is a boon, though, like air. We're alive on a small bubble of pressurized air surrounding an island of rock and water, in a universe of primal suck.

ron ll
05-05-2015, 01:44 PM
After some quick research, it seems like the first decision is to start a real dust collection system with a 4" hose, or just replace my Fein vac 2" hose system. The dust collectors, even the smallest are way more powerful at like 600 cfm. But they are noisier and the 4" hose is cumbersome, especially for floor vacuuming and general cleaning. But it would be a starter system that I could add lots of gadgets to (and go broke in the process).

But most of my tools are older and don't have 4" dust ports if ports at all. My vac system with 2" hose has been working fein (sic) except when it's on the boat and not at the shop.

John of Phoenix
05-05-2015, 01:49 PM
I have a large JET collector that uses 4" hoses but sometimes for a quick clean up with a fitting or to connect to a tool I just stick the smaller Shop Vac hose into the end of larger hose and it works fine/fein.

Paul Pless
05-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Punctuation.

Almost the entire volume of the known universe is vacuum. So suck is good. But there must be, somewhere, some suck that is bad, and not just in the vernacular. No doubt some stuff under pressure is a boon, though, like air. We're alive on a small bubble of pressurized air surrounding an island of rock and water, in a universe of primal suck.

Beauty of a post. :D

John of Phoenix
05-05-2015, 01:56 PM
Beauty of a post. :DWell sure, he's an Ontologist.

ron ll
05-05-2015, 01:58 PM
I have a large JET collector that uses 4" hoses but sometimes for a quick clean up with a fitting or to connect to a tool I just stick the smaller Shop Vac hose into the end of larger hose and it works fine/fein.

I was wondering about that. If I buy one of these and just put a 2" hose on it, it would be much less cumbersome, attach to all my current dust ports, and still be future upgrade able. Still noisier tho. Also doesn't have auto switching but I think that can be added.

http://assets.rockler.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/720x720/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/2/52525-01-1000.jpg

John of Phoenix
05-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Get a hose reducer, 4">2", and you're good to go.

http://assets.rockler.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/80x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/3/23486-01-1000.jpg

john welsford
05-05-2015, 02:44 PM
In order to work efficiently a unit like that requires a certain airflow through the fan and bag. If you put a reducer on, get a "Y" and leave one open so it gets enough air in the system. In this case less is not more.

The other point, from another post, is that its not a good trick to build a box around it to confine the noise without some serious consideration about airflow. Its dragging a heap of air in, and any enclosure needs to provide a path for the air sucked in to get back out, and that air path negates the attempt to confine the noise.
The other thing about noise in dust extraction is they do not only make noise at the unit. You have in effect a pipe full of moving air with a fan at one end, and the combination is much like a giant wind musical instrument and you cant shut it up.

John Welsford

I was wondering about that. If I buy one of these and just put a 2" hose on it, it would be much less cumbersome, attach to all my current dust ports, and still be future upgrade able. Still noisier tho. Also doesn't have auto switching but I think that can be added.

http://assets.rockler.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/720x720/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/2/52525-01-1000.jpg

ron ll
05-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Good points John(s). As the system I have does what I need it to do except when it isn't there, I'm leaning toward just getting a duplicate for the boat. I was thinking that I might be able to improve the setup as long as I was spending the money. But not sure I like the trade offs.

BrianW
05-05-2015, 04:06 PM
The nice thing about a duplicate set up, is parts interchangeability.

If your shop vacuum fails, the boat vacuum could fill until you decide to replace it.