PDA

View Full Version : Geberit valves

Rum_Pirate
05-02-2015, 12:46 AM
I want a 'Geberit' style valve to use to automatically top-up my swimming pool. All Geberit valves are not suitable for use with water with an elevated chlorine content (swimming pools, etc.).

Any helpful suggestions?

EG

The Geberit 241.469.00.1 is an Impuls380 fill valve for filling cisterns.
For use with grey water (rainwater), providing a filter system is used.
For use with sea water (brass parts must be dezincification-resistant).
For use with clean drinking water. Can be installed in an exposed cistern.
Not suitable for use with water with an elevated chlorine content (swimming pools, etc.).
Not suitable for use with cleaning agents, disinfectants and coloring agents put into the cistern (contact Geberit if in doubt).http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Mzk3WDUwMA==/z/YYwAAOSw-7RVDYSp/$_12.JPG

oznabrag
05-02-2015, 07:24 AM
I want a 'Geberit' style valve to use to automatically top-up my swimming pool. All Geberit valves are not suitable for use with water with an elevated chlorine content (swimming pools, etc.).

Any helpful suggestions?

Did you mean to say "No Geberit valves are suitable for use with water with an elevated chlorine content (swimming pools, etc.)."?

If you did, you're SOL.

What makes this valve so special?

Nicholas Scheuer
05-02-2015, 07:34 AM
What a SURPRISE to see the name Geberit! I was employed by the North American Division of that company for several years in the late 1970's and early 80's. Our objective at that time was establishing their toilet flushing equipment in the N Am market.

I know Geberit (HQ in Switzerland) has a manufacturing/warehousing facility in Michigan City, Indiana. However, I know nothing about the product you are looking for.

oznabrag
05-02-2015, 07:38 AM
Rummy, the Geberit valve described in the OP is suitable for use with seawater. I suppose a salt water pool is not your thing?

Jim Mahan
05-02-2015, 08:18 AM
Another company? One that specializes in swimming pools?

Could it be that chlorine may cause liability?

Okay, here's what you do. (You might wanna get a lawyer. Just sayin'.)

Buy a Geberit, dismantle it, have any parts subject to chlorine removed, and replaced with 3-D printed parts of a suitable material, like white plastic, and woila.

If it is just that a Geberit will crap the bed after a prolonged exposure to chlorine, figure out how long you need the pool, do the arithmetic, and buy that many Geberits. If it takes a year for the chlorine to melt the valve, and you're only going to need the pool for another ten years, because you won't be able to get out of your hospital bed because you've been swimming in a pool filled with chlorine and a Geberit valve, you only need ten valves. Take the valve out and wash it with fresh water after every use, or after every season, maybe it will last two years, you'll only need five.

Take the Geberit apart and spray paint the parts, or spray them with contact adhesive and then wrap them in Saran Wrap, Make sure to not get any wrinkles or bubbles in the Saran Wrap.

Buy the Geberit, take it apart, take the parts to a guy with a lathe, and make new parts out of something that won't rot or turn you in to the police when it comes into contact with chlorine. Then sell the original parts on ebay to people who just wantonly ran their Geberit in chlorine, and are looking for un-melted repair parts.

Buy a small but robust bilge pump with a separate switch, and invert the switch so the pump goes on when the float drops and shuts off when the float gets to its mark. Or use a toilet valve.

But I'm sure you've already thought of all these, so what's the problem, exactly?

oznabrag
05-02-2015, 08:26 AM
Another company? One that specializes in swimming pools?

Could it be that chlorine may cause liability?

Okay, here's what you do. (You might wanna get a lawyer. Just sayin'.)

Buy a Geberit, dismantle it, have any parts subject to chlorine removed, and replaced with 3-D printed parts of a suitable material, like white plastic, and woila.

If it is just that a Geberit will crap the bed after a prolonged exposure to chlorine, figure out how long you need the pool, do the arithmetic, and buy that many Geberits. If it takes a year for the chlorine to melt the valve, and you're only going to need the pool for another ten years, because you won't be able to get out of your hospital bed because you've been swimming in a pool filled with chlorine and a Geberit valve, you only need ten valves. Take the valve out and wash it with fresh water after every use, or after every season, maybe it will last two years, you'll only need five.

Take the Geberit apart and spray paint the parts, or spray them with contact adhesive and then wrap them in Saran Wrap, Make sure to not get any wrinkles or bubbles in the Saran Wrap.

Buy the Geberit, take it apart, take the parts to a guy with a lathe, and make new parts out of something that won't rot or turn you in to the police when it comes into contact with chlorine. Then sell the original parts on ebay to people who just wantonly ran their Geberit in chlorine, and are looking for un-melted repair parts.

Buy a small but robust bilge pump with a separate switch, and invert the switch so the pump goes on when the float drops and shuts off when the float gets to its mark. Or use a toilet valve.

But I'm sure you've already thought of all these, so what's the problem, exactly?

Thanks, Jim!!

I actually laughed out loud! :d

George Jung
05-02-2015, 08:26 AM
We used an 'ag' product, similar/less expensive for our cattle tanks; there's not much to them. Imagine getting a 'seal' is the tough part, but there must be a product available for chlorine exposure - likely a city water plant has something similar.

Rum_Pirate
05-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Rummy, the Geberit valve described in the OP is suitable for use with seawater. I suppose a salt water pool is not your thing?

The pool has a chlorine generator which uses salt (sodium chloride).

ahp
05-02-2015, 02:56 PM
The pool has a chlorine generator which uses salt (sodium chloride).

I don't see the problem. The valve we have for our pool is a simple float valve that admits water to make up for evaporation. It has been there for ten years and given no trouble. Our pool is a salt water pool so we can use a chlorine generator in the circulation loop, which we do. The proper salt concentration is 3000 ppm plus or minus 400 which is 1/10 the concentration of sea water.