PDA

View Full Version : Wood Cleats

Norm Harris
12-29-2000, 07:45 PM
I have a traditional cutter that has wood cleats in the cockpit and on the coamings. I am in the process of doing some re-rigging and would like to find more wood cleats. Specifically, I am looking for 2" and 4" jam cleats made of black locust or ligna vitae.
Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Norm Harris
I have a traditional cutter that has wood cleats in the cockpit and on the coamings. I am in the process of doing some re-rigging and would like to find more wood cleats. Specifically, I am looking for 2" and 4" jam cleats made of black locust or ligna vitae.

Norm Harris

Bob Cleek
12-29-2000, 08:18 PM
Well, you make 'em yerself, Sailor! LOL I'd be willing to bet NOBODY sells what you are looking for. On the other hand, if you can find the wood, it's a great project. Forget the lignam vitae. It would cost you an arm and a leg and it is so hard you have to practically use metal working tools and techniques to work it. Locust is great stuff and fairly available. Heck, the best way to go is to find an tree and pick some good crooks and crotches with grain that will really hold up. Cut it rough on a band or jig saw and then use a riffler or rasp to shape it down the way you want it. I'm sure WB has had an article on doing this. Hervey Garrett Smith's "Arts of the Sailor" has how to do it instructions, I think. Good luck! Enjoy the project! That's what winter is for.

Bob Cleek
Well, you make 'em yerself, Sailor! LOL I'd be willing to bet NOBODY sells what you are looking for. On the other hand, if you can find the wood, it's a great project. Forget the lignam vitae. It would cost you an arm and a leg and it is so hard you have to practically use metal working tools and techniques to work it. Locust is great stuff and fairly available. Heck, the best way to go is to find an tree and pick some good crooks and crotches with grain that will really hold up. Cut it rough on a band or jig saw and then use a riffler or rasp to shape it down the way you want it. I'm sure WB has had an article on doing this. Hervey Garrett Smith's "Arts of the Sailor" has how to do it instructions, I think. Good luck! Enjoy the project! That's what winter is for.

Bob Cleek

ishmael
12-29-2000, 08:25 PM
Ditto Cleek,

Barring that, depending on where you live, a local boat builder, or woodworker who knows a bit about boats, could make some nice ones for ya.

ishmael
Ditto Cleek,

Barring that, depending on where you live, a local boat builder, or woodworker who knows a bit about boats, could make some nice ones for ya.

ishmael
Ditto Cleek,

Mike Field
12-30-2000, 03:46 AM
Norm --

2" and 4" both sound pretty small to me. How are you measuring them? Depending of course on the size of your lines, I would think you'd need at least 6" across the horns, perhaps larger. But I agree with Bob that you shouldn't have too much trouble making them yourself. Please read on for ideas....

Bob --

Exactly how much would you be willing to bet?

Then when you've thought of a number, have a look at --
http://www.woodenboatfittings.com.au./cleats.htm

(But no black locust I'm afraid, despite Ross Faneuf's best endeavours a week or two ago. Redgum or jarrah would probably be our nearest equivalent.)

[This message has been edited by Mike Field (edited 12-30-2000).]

Mike Field
Norm --

2" and 4" both sound pretty small to me. How are you measuring them? Depending of course on the size of your lines, I would think you'd need at least 6" across the horns, perhaps larger. But I agree with Bob that you shouldn't have too much trouble making them yourself. Please read on for ideas....

Bob --

(But no black locust I'm afraid, despite Ross Faneuf's best endeavours a week or two ago. Redgum or jarrah would probably be our nearest equivalent.)

Mike Field
Norm --

Bob --

Ian McColgin
12-30-2000, 12:45 PM
There was a whole thread on this a while back and as I remember someone even provided some drawings. Also there were thoughts on porportions depending on the line. In my own contribution, I expressed my own prejudice against jam cleats, but I confess they may have a role in wee little boats owned by others.

Ian McColgin
There was a whole thread on this a while back and as I remember someone even provided some drawings. Also there were thoughts on porportions depending on the line. In my own contribution, I expressed my own prejudice against jam cleats, but I confess they may have a role in wee little boats owned by others.

Ian McColgin

Norm Harris
12-30-2000, 02:23 PM
I thank you all for the information. My basic problem is that I am an apartment dweller and don't have ready access to a woodworking shop. I would be able to finish roughed out cleats, but not make them from scratch.

The answer questions concerning the size is that I want to istall two flag halyards that will use 4" cleats. The two inch cleats, if the are even available are strictly decorative. I have some drink holders that are slide on my lifelines. I keep them from sliding back in the breeze with small stuff and would like to be able to cleat off the small stuff with the small cleats.

Norm Harris
I thank you all for the information. My basic problem is that I am an apartment dweller and don't have ready access to a woodworking shop. I would be able to finish roughed out cleats, but not make them from scratch.

The answer questions concerning the size is that I want to istall two flag halyards that will use 4" cleats. The two inch cleats, if the are even available are strictly decorative. I have some drink holders that are slide on my lifelines. I keep them from sliding back in the breeze with small stuff and would like to be able to cleat off the small stuff with the small cleats.

Norm Harris

Ian Wright
12-30-2000, 04:07 PM
>I want to istall two flag ,,,,,,like to be able to cleat off the small stuff with the small cleats.<

Rolling hitch.

IanW.

Ian Wright
>I want to istall two flag ,,,,,,like to be able to cleat off the small stuff with the small cleats.<

Rolling hitch.

IanW.

Ian Wright

Rolling hitch.

IanW.

paladin
12-31-2000, 03:22 PM
Go to Boat-U.S. or West Marine for a catalog from A.F.I. (American Foreign Industries and check their catalog.....they use teak.
Check an old copy of Skene's Elements of Yacht Design or Bruce Binghams Ferrocement Book for wood cleats.
Chuck

paladin
Go to Boat-U.S. or West Marine for a catalog from A.F.I. (American Foreign Industries and check their catalog.....they use teak.
Check an old copy of Skene's Elements of Yacht Design or Bruce Binghams Ferrocement Book for wood cleats.
Chuck

paladin
Chuck

NormMessinger
12-31-2000, 03:57 PM
Norm, email your snail mail address to me and I'll send you a couple each 2" and 4" black locust cleats, rough. You can finish them 'cause that is where the work is and I aint that generous.

--Norm

NormMessinger
Norm, email your snail mail address to me and I'll send you a couple each 2" and 4" black locust cleats, rough. You can finish them 'cause that is where the work is and I aint that generous.

--Norm

NormMessinger

--Norm

sawcutmill
01-14-2001, 11:43 AM
to:norm and others on this thread of cleats made of black locust,at www.woodwater.com. (http://www.woodwater.com.) we specialize in the making of wooden boat parts made almost exclusively of black locust. around here in R.I., i am known as the locust king, i can make cleats, lizards, bullseyes, as well as locust shelled blocks in the merriman tradition, copper riveted, glued, with time honored skill, i take pride in every order as well as pointing you to the correct source,for an informative discussion of your needs, email me w/ your questions.

sawcutmill
to:norm and others on this thread of cleats made of black locust,at www.woodwater.com. (http://www.woodwater.com.) we specialize in the making of wooden boat parts made almost exclusively of black locust. around here in R.I., i am known as the locust king, i can make cleats, lizards, bullseyes, as well as locust shelled blocks in the merriman tradition, copper riveted, glued, with time honored skill, i take pride in every order as well as pointing you to the correct source,for an informative discussion of your needs, email me w/ your questions.

sawcutmill

Scott Rosen
01-14-2001, 05:25 PM
Sounds like a perfect project for an apartment dweller. You won't need any power tools, large work areas or highly specialized skills. You could work on a plastic sheet in your living room, and you won't even get sawdust or shavings in the carpet. Check out some the resources above and go have some fun.

Scott Rosen
Sounds like a perfect project for an apartment dweller. You won't need any power tools, large work areas or highly specialized skills. You could work on a plastic sheet in your living room, and you won't even get sawdust or shavings in the carpet. Check out some the resources above and go have some fun.

Scott Rosen

Dave Thibodeau
01-15-2001, 08:55 AM
Craig O'Donnell's Cheap Pages has a wonderful section devoted to wooden cleats:
http://www.friend.ly.net/user-homepages/d/dadadata/boat/matl/cleats.html

Give it a look see.

regards,

Dave Thibodeau

Dave Thibodeau
01-15-2001, 08:55 AM
Craig O'Donnell's Cheap Pages has a wonderful section devoted to wooden cleats:
http://www.friend.ly.net/user-homepages/d/dadadata/boat/matl/cleats.html

Give it a look see.