PDA

View Full Version : could they make Blazing saddles nowadays?

bobbys
04-28-2015, 07:40 PM
I laugh and laugh when I still watch it.

I laugh at the Jewish Indians and of course the bean scene.

Could they make this movie nowadays?.

JimD
04-28-2015, 07:44 PM
The bean scene could still be done. But looking at what's been going on with the filming of Adam Sandler's new western farce and I'm not so sure they could do Jewish Indians any more.

Flying Orca
04-28-2015, 07:56 PM
I suspect there are a lot of old films and TV shows that wouldn't pass the smell test these days.

And I'm OK with that. Standards change and we move on. Novels that showed slavery in a positive light went out of style, too.

ron ll
04-28-2015, 07:57 PM
Prolly couldn't facepaste a horse these days.

Arizona Bay
04-28-2015, 08:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHJbSvidohg

CWSmith
04-28-2015, 08:16 PM
Brooks struggled to get it made. The real change might be that Pryor would not be fired this time.

S.V. Airlie
04-28-2015, 09:49 PM
Not enough SEX!

Gerarddm
04-28-2015, 10:33 PM
In a similar vein, how could Cheech and Chong's Basketball Jones video be made today? At the time I thought it was absurdly funny, now I cringe at it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIbp5C-5WXM " I got more moves than Ex-Lax ".

Breakaway
04-28-2015, 10:44 PM
The thing about those films, our culture didn't have political correctness deeply woven yet. Their creators could honestly and directly address the way people interacted with other people. In fact, that was what such films accomplished.

Today, such films would need to incorporate so much context and backstory, and set the whole presentation up as hypothetical. And instead of focusing on people interacting with people, they'd focus more on "the issues." Today, the message that "racism is stupid" would be delivered less effectively through documentary techniques instead of through comedy, which has wider appeal and a different power to teach.

Life used to be simpler.

Kevin

Phillip Allen
04-28-2015, 11:05 PM
fashion changes

Paul Girouard
04-28-2015, 11:32 PM
In a similar vein, how could Cheech and Chong's Basketball Jones video be made today? At the time I thought it was absurdly funny, now I cringe at it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIbp5C-5WXM " I got more moves than Ex-Lax ".

The thing about those films, our culture didn't have political correctness deeply woven yet. Their creators could honestly and directly address the way people interacted with other people. In fact, that was what such films accomplished.

Today, such films would need to incorporate so much context and backstory, and set the whole presentation up as hypothetical. And instead of focusing on people interacting with people, they'd focus more on "the issues." Today, the message that "racism is stupid" would be delivered less effectively through documentary techniques instead of through comedy, which has wider appeal and a different power to teach.

Life used to be simpler.

Kevin

Or "All in the family" , yes life was considerably simpler 20 or 30 years ago.

seanz
04-29-2015, 12:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHJbSvidohg

True, not much gets past the moron lobby these days.

Still, life was simpler then, according to the simple.

CK 17
04-29-2015, 12:18 AM
Novels that showed slavery in a positive light went out of style, too.

like the Old Testament:)

purri
04-29-2015, 12:21 AM
Much less "Jews in Space" or the clip from the History of the WOILD (PART 11)
I laugh and laugh when I still watch it.

I laugh at the Jewish Indians and of course the bean scene.

Could they make this movie nowadays?.

Old Dryfoot
04-29-2015, 12:46 AM
It's not Mel Brooks, but give A Millions Ways to Die in the West a watch. It has some stuff that they could never have done in Blazing Saddles, it does work both ways. It's a pretty funny little movie too.

Jim Bow
04-29-2015, 02:35 AM
Mel Brooks said he made all sorts of promises when the studio censors saw the initial cut. He agreed to remove several scenes. They were especially concerned with the campfire-beans scene.
They approved of his cuts, which he promptly ignored and released it his way.
What could they do? It was making money immediately, they certainly weren't about to change after the fact.

purri
04-29-2015, 04:17 AM
From my convos with Marlene Dietrich regarding her alto ego (from another original film) she was most amused. Lilli von Schtupp indeed!

skuthorp
04-29-2015, 04:19 AM
When it was first shown on TV here the only cut was the beans scene. Ridiculous in that baked beans were already known as 'yippie beans' for obvious reasons by generations of Australians.

WszystekPoTrochu
04-29-2015, 05:40 AM
Films like this one were not politically correct, but they were not deeply offensive to anyone, really. I miss that kind of humour.

You can't make a whip of satire out of vaseline.

moTthediesel
04-29-2015, 06:16 AM
As much as I love "Blazing Saddles" -- I don't watch it when it is shown on most US cable TV, the bowdlerized version is simply NOT FUNNY..

It is interesting that quite a few years ago, when we had Direct TV, we had access to BET (Black Entertainment Television). While surfing around one night, I happened upon "B-S" being shown on that network. I found it fascinating that they chose to show the movie with all it's dialog intact, including, of course, the use of the "N" word. Apparently that network understood Brook's real agenda, as summed up by that very telling "morons" clip shown above. Kudos to them.

Breakaway
04-29-2015, 06:27 AM
True, not much gets past the moron lobby these days. Still, life was simpler then, according to the simple.

And according to the rude?

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Rum_Pirate
04-29-2015, 06:28 AM
"could they make Blazing saddles nowadays?No.

seanz
04-29-2015, 07:05 AM
And according to the rude?

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Couldn't say, if I could, you'd only be offended.

Duncan Gibbs
04-29-2015, 08:21 AM
None of you have obviously seen The Hebrew Hammer. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hebrew_Hammer)

Michael D. Storey
04-29-2015, 09:09 AM
Not enough SEX!
In the scene where Lilly Von Stupp turns off the light and sez to the Sheriff 'is it twoo what they say about you people? Oh my God! It's twoo! It's twoo', he was originally replying with 'Please Baby! stop sucking my elbow!'

Duncan Gibbs
04-29-2015, 09:12 AM
Schnitzengruber has been our slang for chicken schnitzel ever since... With gravy!

bobbys
04-29-2015, 09:51 AM
From my convos with Marlene Dietrich regarding her alto ego (from another original film) she was most amused. Lilli von Schtupp indeed!

Funny, I watched a old move of Marlene Dietrich and could not get Lilli Von Schtupp out of my head .

ron ll
04-29-2015, 09:57 AM
It's not Mel Brooks, but give A Millions Ways to Die in the West a watch. It has some stuff that they could never have done in Blazing Saddles, it does work both ways. It's a pretty funny little movie too.

It's a great comedy. Seth McFarland doing what he does best.

Michael D. Storey
04-29-2015, 02:26 PM

Alto ego. Great. Opera wanna be?

Sky Blue
04-29-2015, 02:36 PM
could they make Blazing Saddles today?

What about Django? Django got made (there was a whole lot of criticism about its content). If Blazing Saddles could not be made today, what is different about Django that allowed it to be made?

http://www.bing.com/th?id=A1251e3db7b7e4b345cbf184efac93375&w=104&h=156&c=7&rs=1&qlt=80&pcl=f9f9f9&cdv=1&pid=16.1

purri
04-29-2015, 05:35 PM
IIRC Madeline Kahn was an opera singer
Alto ego. Great. Opera wanna be?

jclays
04-29-2015, 09:09 PM
I bet 1941 could not be remade today also. Fun movies.

Captain Intrepid
04-30-2015, 01:23 AM
I bet 1941 could not be remade today also. Fun movies.

IIRC, both John Wayne and Charlton Heston tried to convince Spielberg not to make it then, as it was too un-American.