PDA

View Full Version : 10 years. Smoke free.

goodbasil
04-27-2015, 02:57 PM
Noon. April 27, 2005. Lit and smoked my last cigarette.

Good for me.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-27-2015, 02:59 PM
Nov 2005,

I'm catching you.

Rob Hazard
04-27-2015, 03:04 PM
GOOD FOR YOU!

I smoked my last cigarette in August of 1972. They continued to tempt me for a couple years afterwards. I can't abide the smell of them now. And the fact that kids are still taking up the habit drives me nuts, but there's little I can do about that.

Phillip Allen
04-27-2015, 03:07 PM
GOOD FOR YOU!

I smoked my last cigarette in August of 1972. They continued to tempt me for a couple years afterwards. I can't abide the smell of them now. And the fact that kids are still taking up the habit drives me nuts, but there's little I can do about that.

they have no excuse whatsoever... but I have a high school across the street... guess what

KMacDonald
04-27-2015, 03:10 PM
I quit about 8 years ago. Took a heart attack to finally convince me to stop.

Rich Jones
04-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Way to go! I was fortunate enough never to have taken up smoking, but I watched my father die a slow, degrading death from them.
Drives me nuts, too, when I see young people smoking despite all the evidence against it.

Tom@NC
04-27-2015, 03:17 PM
I never started, fortunately. I have a friend who gave up alcohol, cocaine, and cigarettes at the same time. He told me "Tom, they say that cocaine is so addictive, it's nothing compared to cigarettes."
My hat is off to each of you, and those of you still trying to quit, don't stop trying.

Tom

KMacDonald
04-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Way to go! I was fortunate enough never to have taken up smoking, but I watched my father die a slow, degrading death from them.
Drives me nuts, too, when I see young people smoking despite all the evidence against it.

Me too. If they don't kill you they will make life miserable for you in later years. I wish they were outlawed.

George Jung
04-27-2015, 03:26 PM
Too much money to be made. The Govt. likes those taxes.

Good on you, and congratulations. Not much bigger in terms of helping yourself and your future health.

John Meachen
04-27-2015, 03:58 PM
Congratulations to those of you who have managed to beat the addiction.

elf
04-27-2015, 04:04 PM
I was very fortunate. Physiological addiction did not run in my genes for nicotine. Both I and my father simply stopped one day.

chas
04-27-2015, 04:08 PM
10 years is big, Goodbasil. Congratulations!! March 25 / 1990. Hey, just missed my 25th; I think that's a good sign. :D / Jim

JimD
04-27-2015, 05:15 PM
Keep it up.

Nicholas Scheuer
04-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Congrats! 40 years, plus or minus a couple for me. Damm! I still could go for an unfiltered Pall Mall! Best fag goin', bar none.

Jim Bow
04-27-2015, 06:10 PM
Sept 1, 1989

Chip-skiff
04-27-2015, 06:15 PM
Picked up the habit when I was a working musician, playing in smoky clubs.

Quit fifteen years ago when my sweetheart caught me smoking and I was ashamed to the depths of my being.

Reynard38
04-27-2015, 07:28 PM
Good for you. Smoking killed both my parents. I always abhorred the habit.

Mike Dawson
04-27-2015, 07:31 PM

Good for me.

Another "Good for you".

Smoking is something that, fortunately, I never had an interest in. It may have something to do with the fact that my Dad smoked and had a heart attack when I was 12 years old. He quit at the insistence of our family Doctor (who smoked like a chimney BTW). My two younger brothers smoke(d), I lost one a few years ago shortly after his 60 th. birthday.

Rum_Pirate
04-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Congratulations

Breakaway
04-27-2015, 07:37 PM
July 4, 2013 for me. If I can do it, and these others can do it, anyone reading this who wants to can do it. Do it!

Kevin

WszystekPoTrochu
04-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Either that or the " government" is under the understanding that people should and must free to destroy their health on their own terms.
Tell me doctor, what kills more folks - lung cancer or obesity related disease ?

Let the flame war begin

I see tobacco as less harmful than compulsive eating. And frankly, I'd personally rather smoke a cig or two than eat at McD anytime, whatever reason.
I don't mind smokers at all, providing they don't stink up interiors - though cancerogenic, it is really one of least harmful addictions.

Still, bravos for all who dropped it - that ain't easy.

purri
04-27-2015, 07:44 PM
37 for me.

Duncan Gibbs
04-27-2015, 08:20 PM
8 years for me. :)

Dreadful and filthy habit. More addictive than anything else.

TerryLL
04-27-2015, 09:34 PM
68 years so far.

htom
04-27-2015, 09:47 PM
Excellent. Took me twenty years of quitting to stay quit.

jack grebe
04-27-2015, 09:50 PM
8yrs. earlier this month.............

first anniversery I missed posting about it..........

It hasn't gone away yet, I have fits so to speak, every
day, but as of today, I am still winning.

BrianW
04-27-2015, 10:47 PM
Only 3 years since I quit. Wish I had done so sooner. My habit was mostly a part time deal. I could go days without a smoke, yet at other times I smoked like a chimney. Boredom and alcohol were always the best reason to light up.

leikec
04-27-2015, 11:01 PM
Good for you!

Jeff C

AussieBarney
04-28-2015, 01:21 AM
I have endured things that would kill many a good man,

Fought on when all hope was lost,

Always considered myself as tough as the next bloke, BUT,

When I gave up the durries I knew I was in for the fight of my life,

Turned out it was a fight FOR my life,

I have not kept track. Every day I fight the most insidious addiction I have ever faced

Baby steps, my friends. I fear I will be addicted for the rest of my life, even though I do not smoke.

To those who have, to those who will and to those who want to,

For your own life and for the love of your family, hang in there and keep trying. It is the most satisfying thing you will ever do.

Years ago, I had a quit smoking thread up on the forum, I will say that with the undying support of a mob of fellers I had never met I Quit.

For that, I thank you.

Flying Orca
04-28-2015, 08:04 AM
Congrats! I've lost track but I'm somewhere around five years smoke-free now, I think. Champix worked for me even though I ditched it early because of side effects.

Barney, I know what you mean about the fight of your life - it would appear that mine wasn't smoking, although I tried off and on for decades. I now want to shed somewhere around a quarter of my body weight, and that's going to be a fight.

JTA
04-28-2015, 09:42 AM
Nicotine free since 1 October 2009. Like others, I still have random unexplained brief cravings. However I simply refuse to light another one.

Jack

SchoonerRat
04-28-2015, 09:50 AM
1987 for me. It was about the toughest thing I ever did. I was a 2 pack a day man with regular bouts of 4 packs a day. I spent a lot of time working on a boat with 4 crew who all smoked; add to that 20 or 30 passengers, many of which also smoked. We had packs of ciggys and matches stashed around the boat in dorade vents, deck boxes, and I always had a pack in the binnacle. Once, after a 5 day charter to Mexico, we each got a carton as part of our tip. We did a 3 hour turn around for a weekend trip to Catalina. We had to buy several packs in Avalon to get us home. The first thing we did after getting the boat tied up at home was to send a crew member up to the Jolly Roger restaurant with a pocket full of quarters.

The smell of a fag burning now, at the same time, both disgusts me and triggers a strong craving. The only thing that stops me from lighting up is a memory of the old Lays potato chips commercial. "Bet you can't smoke just one!"

leikec
04-28-2015, 10:27 AM
I get a kick out of smoker's rationalizations. yeah, sure...you smoke to help control your weight. Or even better, you smoke because it's a visible display of your freedom to make dumb choices.

Talk about self inflicted equine proctology...

Jeff C

chas
04-28-2015, 12:12 PM
My notebook was always handy. / Jim

Michael D. Storey
04-28-2015, 12:42 PM
My Boy Max is a paramedic in D.C. He has told me that they do not even attempt to re-attach a limb or digit if the victim is a smoker, or has been so during the last 5 years. The damage to circulation is so profound that the likelihood of gangrene is so elevated to make the attempt futile.
My Dear Jenifer went from health (in appearance) to her final breath in five months. Withered from weighing what I did to 85 pounds.
I have not touched a cigar since. I miss 'em, but I don't have the nerve.
Years ago, back in the 70's I was sailing an R boat out of Sodus Bay, about 40 miles east of Rochester. I was sitting on the pier one day with the owner's wife, and a boat went by. We could smell the cigarette smoke.
"God, I sure miss them," said Dorothy.
"How long ago did you quit?"
"1941"
It can really stick with you, I understand.

Shang
04-28-2015, 01:53 PM
One day it dawned on me that I was burning enough money every year to pay for a trip to Europe.
I still don't go to Europe every year, but I've been smoke free for twenty-five or thirty years.

One day at a time.

TomF
04-28-2015, 02:54 PM
When I hit 70 I plan to go the other way and take up the pipe. I figure that by then, something else will kill me first, and to me the smell of pipe smoke has always been like incense.

htom
04-28-2015, 04:50 PM
When I hit 70 I plan to go the other way and take up the pipe. I figure that by then, something else will kill me first, and to me the smell of pipe smoke has always been like incense.

I tried that. The taste of pipe smoke is different than the smell of some one else smoking it.

McMike
04-28-2015, 06:05 PM
It would be 8 years for me if I didn't use the excuse of divorce to justify my picking it up again for a year. It's back to 6 months since I quit, again.

Nanoose
04-28-2015, 07:55 PM
Basil! Good! So well done. Congratulations on your resolve. I understand it is very difficult. Celebrating with you!! :D

Nanoose
04-28-2015, 07:56 PM
I'm with you, except mine has always been "when I retire" . . . which may be coming up here pretty soon! :D

KMacDonald
04-28-2015, 08:54 PM
You may want to rethink that. The effects of nicotine vary greatly from person to person. If you happen to be predisposed to certain diseases, nicotine can kill you surprisingly quick. No need to tempt fate here.

Vince Brennan
04-28-2015, 09:07 PM
Quit October 10, 2009 by way of the patch. Smoked for fifty years (or a bit more), one to three packs (mostly 1.5) per day of Kools. Originally started to look "adult" but rapidly discovered that the menthol opened my throat and bronchii so that I could actually breath for a change. (Yeh, I know... but I am actually convinced that this was the real thing...) I sang at a professional level with three octaves and a bit, in fact, made quite a nice supplemental income from it and all the time I was a feckin' chimney, alienated women right-left-and-center due to the leftover tobacco smell, spent a LOT of money on ciggies and - I'll be honest - the real reason I quit was that Obama made it illegal to ship "Seneca" cigarettes thru the US Mail. When I was faced with paying $5.45 a pack for my Kools (or a generic substitute) it just got to be too damn expensive, so I got the first and second phases of the "patch", and didn't even finish the second step. I just stopped smoking and "that was that".

Like many, I get a ten second craving for a butt (OHHH! GOTTA have one RIGHT NOW!!!), but it goes away very fast and I just keep on truckin'.

The guys I admire are people like a former boss: He smoked Pall Malls and one day he just put them down and said, "'Nuff's 'Nuff!" and that was it. One of the guys I played music with just stopped smoking Camels between one set and the next and I never saw him smoke another "tobacco" cigarette as long as he lived. Some forty years without tobacco.

My problem is that I stopped SMOKING all together. Everything. I got old and boring, I guess.

Well... at least I no longer am kept awake at night listening to the concertina concerto coming from my chest.

But: I do compensate. Tequila is really nice stuff.

Congratulations to all who are quitting or who have recently quit, and those of you who "want to stop" but haven't, keep on keepin' on! You'll get there!

JimD
04-29-2015, 04:03 AM
I tried that. The taste of pipe smoke is different than the smell of some one else smoking it.
Maybe just leave some pipe tobacco burning in the house. Or a good cigar.

Hunky Dory
04-29-2015, 10:19 AM
April 2009, my pastor was proposing a fast, I said I would fast from smoking not eating. Prayed every time I felt the urge for about a month and don't miss them at all. After twenty years of quitting and failing I finally beat it.

Bob

bahma
04-29-2015, 11:36 AM
I quit 1963.....most of my smoking friends are long gone.....except one still smokes like the proverbial chimney, his wife, who never smoked, died moons ago of second hand smoke

CWSmith
04-29-2015, 05:28 PM
Every time I hear of someone quitting smoking I am very impressed. I was lucky - I hate the smell of the stuff and was never tempted. If I had, I doubt I would have the will power to stop. Congratulations, everyone who ever smoked and quit.

wizbang 13
04-29-2015, 11:05 PM
I smoked half a pack of "drum light" , light blue pack, mixed with a bit of Ganga, and drank 10 heinekens in St Bart's today. Eat your heart out .

BrianW
04-29-2015, 11:50 PM
I smoked half a pack of "drum light" , light blue pack, mixed with a bit of Ganga, and drank 10 heinekens in St Bart's today. Eat your heart out .

Show off.

;)

Vince Brennan
04-30-2015, 10:12 PM
There Y'go!

Kudos and Thanks for your persistence, Mate!

PeterSibley
05-01-2015, 01:38 AM

Australia has put the price of tobacco products up to an extent that would amaze you and the aim was to make them too expensive for kids to afford .

It'as worked, Australia has one of the lowest tobacco smoking rates in the world.

The prices ..... http://www.tobaccoinaustralia.org.au/13-3-the-price-of-tobacco-products-in-australia

PeterSibley
05-01-2015, 01:39 AM

Good for me.

and Well Done ! Live long and well.

StevenBauer
05-01-2015, 02:05 AM
December 31, 1988. I was afraid I'd never be able to stop but my new bride and I quit together. That helped.

Steven

Breakaway
05-06-2015, 10:45 PM
^ Donn... you just have to stop. That's how I did it. I picked a day and that was that. The hardest part was really deciding that I wanted to quit ( as opposed to simply agreeing with the fact that quitting would be good). Decide, schedule it, stop.

Kevin