PDA

View Full Version : proper action by a cop who fears for his life

Phillip Allen
04-26-2015, 02:55 PM
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/surrendering-subdued-man-lying-face-down-tasered-kicked-head-cop/

Phillip Allen
04-26-2015, 03:03 PM
You meant that in jest, right?

Time to assemble the Citizen's Tribunal!

http://themintyplum.com/wordpress2/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/torches_pitchforks.jpg

I meant the 'tribunal' as black humor but it will happen eventually (given enough abuse) and when it does it will be very ugly indeed... people submitting to the present abuse will be at least partly responsible for any over reaction

Phillip Allen
04-26-2015, 03:19 PM
I take it that when it does happen you will be bringing the rope?

I did not say that and meant to warn YOU and others that it will be ugly (undesirable). editing my post to create a lie is verboten...

ishmael
04-26-2015, 03:46 PM
The question is a bit vague. In some places just going out the precinct door onto the street means you are wary. In two of the recent examples it sounds to me that one was a justifiable shooting, the other most definitely not. In Ferguson, from what I can gather, the cop was being attacked by someone younger, bigger, stronger, who also went for the cop's gun. Justifiable. Then where was it, Baltimore? A guy shot eight times in the back while running away. Murder.

Those seem clear cut to me, yet most such incidents aren't. Shades of gray. In my encounters with the police I've always been treated with the respect due me, but then I was compliant. The street is not the place these matters should be decided. That's why we have courts.

Are some cops suffering from a power complex? You betcha, and I wager the profession is a bit of a magnet for the pistol penis distortion of reality. On the other hand, it's a tough job. I sure as hell wouldn't want it.

The arrival of video cameras everywhere' will help fuel this debate. In a good way, I hope

Phillip Allen
04-26-2015, 03:48 PM
The question is a bit vague. In some places just going out the precinct door onto the street means you are wary. In two of the recent examples it sounds to me that one was a justifiable shooting, the other most definitely not. In Ferguson, from what I can gather, the cop was being attacked by someone younger, bigger, stronger, who also went for the cop's gun. Justifiable. Then where was it, Baltimore? A guy shot eight times in the back while running away. Murder.

Those seem clear cut to me, yet most such incidents aren't. Shades of gray. In my encounters with the police I've always been treated with the respect due me, but then I was compliant. The street is not the place these matters should be decided. That's why we have courts.

Are some cops suffering from a power complex? You betcha, and I wager the profession is a bit of a magnet for the pistol penis distortion of reality. On the other hand, it's a tough job. I sure as hell wouldn't want it.

The arrival of video cameras everywhere' will help fuel this debate. In a good way, I hope

I do tire of hearing about dangerous job excuses... I was a fireman and never shot anyone at all

Phillip Allen
04-26-2015, 03:58 PM
The fact that as a fireman you were unarmed and never faced a threat from another human being while doing your duty had nothing to do with that, of course.

do you mean like the threat posed by the man in my op?

Phillip Allen
04-26-2015, 04:01 PM
I mean EVER in the course of your job as a fireman.

so, in a less dangerous job, it is okay to kill people?

Phillip Allen
04-26-2015, 04:02 PM
Izzatso?

As I recall, "Citizens Tribunal" was your answer to a serious question about what solutions you might offer to remedy the problem of police brutality. I can cite the thread and post if necessary.

And now you claim it was meant in jest. You are are an inveterate revisionist.

black humor is different than jest, a word I did not use but that you inserted... be careful of the truth as it is fragile

ishmael
04-26-2015, 04:08 PM
Police officers equivalent to firemen is a logical fallacy.

Thank you for your service as a fireman, Phillip. It's a noble and often dangerous profession. The difference is nobody is threatening your life. No human anyway.

S.V. Airlie
04-26-2015, 08:43 PM
I mean EVER in the course of your job as a fireman.

Did you carry a firearm in your duty as a fireman?

I do tire of bad analogies substituted for considered thought.As a fireman for 15+ years, the only threat I encountered is a fire!

Bob Adams
04-27-2015, 05:25 AM
I do tire of hearing about dangerous job excuses... I was a fireman and never shot anyone at all

Thank you for your service as a fireman. that said, how many fires attacked you with a knife, gun or other weapon?

Ian McColgin
04-27-2015, 06:08 AM
As one who has often pointed out that police work is well down on the list of dangerous jobs, I should point out that police work does involve the ability to remain calm under intense provocation. You really can't get mad at a fire and a fire does not insult your manhood or spit in your face or vomit on your chest. Cops are not free to get riled and take things personally the way some on this Forum, for example do. Behavior like that on the street is exactly what leads to police abuse of power.

Objective danger does not even remotely lead to harmful stress. Objective danger rationally faced, whether in sport like climbing or sailing, or in a high hazard job like firefighting or rescue work has a thrill/fun element that talking to a frightened and armed hulking twenty year old utterly lacks.

When the defenders of police excess trot out the danger bit, they are trivializing the causes of stress in a job that's somewhat dangerous. When people counter by rightly pointing out that police work is not as dangerous as many other occupations, they are joining in that trivialization. Being vested by society with coersive and even deadly force power calls for a level of interpersonal emotional control that, while admirable anywhere, is not required at the same life or death pitch from firefighters, lumber jacks, fishers, airline pilots, et cetera.

Bob Adams
04-27-2015, 04:53 PM
Happy Phillip? 7 Baltimore Police in the hospital so far. Looting and destruction. Are you happy now?

Phillip Allen
04-27-2015, 06:44 PM
Happy Phillip? 7 Baltimore Police in the hospital so far. Looting and destruction. Are you happy now?

I'm not happy about the devastation and injury resulting from defending government excess... but, I'm not surprised and you don't have any excuse to be surprised either.