PDA

View Full Version : Geisler boat company

Watergoat
04-25-2015, 06:02 PM
I am a bit surprised you haven't done an article on Geisler Boats. We went fishing for a week on the French River a couple years ago, and over half of the local boats were cedar strip/varnished by Geisler. The rest were nearly all local built aluminum. Very shallow and rocky area, fiberglass would crack from hitting rocks. Wood and aluminum bounce off. Nobody wires boats for lights, too rocky to run in the dark. sales@gieslerboats.ca I wanted to get over there for a tour, but didn't have time.

ShoestringMariner
04-26-2015, 08:58 AM
I'm glad to see that they are still producing and competing in that market. Their pricing is quite reasonable IMO. If I was a lodge owner though, I think I'd be inclined to go with aluminum for the maintenance issues, which makes me wonder why lodges still use cedar boats. Aluminum will dent. How much of an impact or abrasion from rocks do you think cedar strip boats can withstand before they leak?
Beautiful river!

Watergoat
04-26-2015, 11:31 AM
Don't know how crash-resistant they are, didn't try that. Living in NC, I was amazed to see a marina full of varnished cedar. All the wood gets painted down here, except for a sprig of varnished trim here and there. The marinas and lodges are run by the First Nation folks. They have a big barn where they scrape and revarnish boats all winter, which keeps them busy in what I gather is a long, cold winter.

Andrew2
05-05-2015, 01:05 PM
It might be that folks on vacation value a varnished wood boat over an aluminium one, as part of the dream.

This whole web site is validation of dreams, as opposed to practicality|:)

Pond Hopper
05-06-2015, 07:00 AM
Some of the reasons they use cedar strips are because they are much quieter than aluminum and they are also much warmer Y>. Being slightly heavier than the aluminium they can handle the rougher water better as well - we also find them a bit more stable. We fish on Nipissing all the time and use the Geisler Nipissing 18 footers some of time ( mostly in the spring). Fishing the West Arm we have bumped a few rocks (nothing hard mind you) and YES they do survive. If for some reason the damage is more than minor - they will float for a very long time and being local they can go right back to the factory for repairs by the pros. Up on that lake you use 12- 14 footers or over 18 because under 14 you go over every wave and the 18s plus go over 2 waves at a time. The 15 -17 go over the first one and thru the second one :mad: and in May the water up there is FRIGGIN COLD in the spring. Also when kept up they are ABSOOOOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL.|;)

ShoestringMariner
05-07-2015, 07:46 PM
Interesting about the boat lengths and how they navigate the waves. Good to know that there is some forgiveness for occasional rock glances. Aluminum boats dent, scratch and gouge...meh

Pond Hopper
05-07-2015, 09:53 PM
The truth being told - that is also a plausible reason that the Edmund Fitz went down. She had an ocean design and the Great Lakes wave (sin ) curve is considerably shorter there by not offering enough support (water under her) and could have been what broke her back .