PDA

View Full Version : Registering a home built boat in PA

landlocked sailor
03-09-2001, 11:33 AM
I have had a heck of a time trying to do this. My local tag service doesn't seem to have any idea and the 800# that they provided kepps me on hold for eternity. Has anybody been successful in this endeavor? Rick

landlocked sailor
I have had a heck of a time trying to do this. My local tag service doesn't seem to have any idea and the 800# that they provided kepps me on hold for eternity. Has anybody been successful in this endeavor? Rick

landlocked sailor

delbello
03-13-2001, 10:13 AM
I am in the process of doing this in KY. I suggest you check with the Water Patrol in the area to determine what office of the Coast Guard is responsible for your area. Contact them to obtain the necessary information to create a builder number and a hull number. I believe both of these are needed at the local registration office to obtain the tags. At least that is the process I have been told to follow here.

delbello
I am in the process of doing this in KY. I suggest you check with the Water Patrol in the area to determine what office of the Coast Guard is responsible for your area. Contact them to obtain the necessary information to create a builder number and a hull number. I believe both of these are needed at the local registration office to obtain the tags. At least that is the process I have been told to follow here.

delbello

Albie
03-15-2001, 09:50 AM
IT WAS NO PROBLEM IN MAINE. WHEN THEY ASK FOR THE MANUFACTURER JUST SAY HOME BUILT. IF THEY NEED THE NUMBER-ASSIGN ONE. IF IT IS YOUR FIRST BOAT- USE "1". HOWEVER, I'M SURE THE BUREAUCRATS CAN FIND A WAY TO KEEP THEMSELVES IMPORTANT AND RELIEVE YOU OF SOME MONEY.

Albie
IT WAS NO PROBLEM IN MAINE. WHEN THEY ASK FOR THE MANUFACTURER JUST SAY HOME BUILT. IF THEY NEED THE NUMBER-ASSIGN ONE. IF IT IS YOUR FIRST BOAT- USE "1". HOWEVER, I'M SURE THE BUREAUCRATS CAN FIND A WAY TO KEEP THEMSELVES IMPORTANT AND RELIEVE YOU OF SOME MONEY.

Albie

HP3
03-15-2001, 01:43 PM
Landlocked,
The USCG Std for homebuilt boats instructs you to Write;
Boat Registration
P.O. Box 1852
Harrisburg, Pa 17105-1852

Sorry they give no phone number.

They should be the ones to Issue you a HIN (Hull Idenification Number)This number is then Permantly affixed to the starboard upper corner of the tramsom or the stb.aft.side of a double ender, cats with removable hulls use the cross beam. A second copy of this number should be affixed in a hidden place. Like under the rubrail or under a cleat. Anyplace that is not obvious.
They will need to know the details of your boat. Length, beam, material,propulsion type, etc. I suspect they will send you a form to fill out, probably in triplicate.
You then should have no problem registering at the Tag Office. Keep your recipts or they may try to acess sales\use tax that you payed for materials. Good luck, I hate dealing with bureauc-rats, Hank

HP3
Landlocked,
Boat Registration
P.O. Box 1852

They should be the ones to Issue you a HIN (Hull Idenification Number)This number is then Permantly affixed to the starboard upper corner of the tramsom or the stb.aft.side of a double ender, cats with removable hulls use the cross beam. A second copy of this number should be affixed in a hidden place. Like under the rubrail or under a cleat. Anyplace that is not obvious.
They will need to know the details of your boat. Length, beam, material,propulsion type, etc. I suspect they will send you a form to fill out, probably in triplicate.
You then should have no problem registering at the Tag Office. Keep your recipts or they may try to acess sales\use tax that you payed for materials. Good luck, I hate dealing with bureauc-rats, Hank

HP3
Landlocked,
Boat Registration
P.O. Box 1852

landlocked sailor
03-15-2001, 03:05 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a go. Rick

landlocked sailor

landlocked sailor