PDA

View Full Version : Phillipine MAhogany Planking

Gdaley
08-28-2000, 08:34 PM
Where do I fing planking material for use in Indiana ? I need to replank, am comfortable with spiling, but need material and not a 2nd mortgag.

Any Ideas ?

Gdaley
Where do I fing planking material for use in Indiana ? I need to replank, am comfortable with spiling, but need material and not a 2nd mortgag.

Any Ideas ?

Gdaley

Any Ideas ?

TomRobb
08-29-2000, 06:40 AM
Since there are probably few sawyers left in Indiana cutting mahogany you'll have to either use what you can get locally or bite the bullet and call Condons or Eden Saw. Their ads are in WB. Of course there are others, but those two came redily to mind.
What's it for? A runabout?

TomRobb
Since there are probably few sawyers left in Indiana cutting mahogany you'll have to either use what you can get locally or bite the bullet and call Condons or Eden Saw. Their ads are in WB. Of course there are others, but those two came redily to mind.

TomRobb

ishmael
08-29-2000, 11:05 AM
You might try calling local millworks/cabinet shops. Though most seem to use Honduran someone might have had a call for Phillipine and have some left over. A friendly one might also be a source for other suppliers without feeling the need to become another middle man. Best of luck.

ishmael
You might try calling local millworks/cabinet shops. Though most seem to use Honduran someone might have had a call for Phillipine and have some left over. A friendly one might also be a source for other suppliers without feeling the need to become another middle man. Best of luck.

ishmael

Bruce Hooke
08-29-2000, 12:24 PM
Try Paxton: http://www.paxton-woodsource.com/
I believe they deliver in your area if you are ordering a reasonable quantity.

Also, check out WoodFinder: http://www.wdfinder.com It is an excellent resource for finding lumber sources.

Just for grins I tried WoodFinder and found MacBeath Hardwoods in Edenburgh, IN: http://www.macbeath.com/edin.html (this may, however, not be a retail location -- I couldn't tell right off from the website)

- Bruce

Bruce Hooke

Also, check out WoodFinder: http://www.wdfinder.com It is an excellent resource for finding lumber sources.

Just for grins I tried WoodFinder and found MacBeath Hardwoods in Edenburgh, IN: http://www.macbeath.com/edin.html (this may, however, not be a retail location -- I couldn't tell right off from the website)

- Bruce

Bruce Hooke

- Bruce

JIM MALONEY
08-30-2000, 08:37 PM
I am in the office furniture manufacturing business and purchase Honduras Mahogany in Milwaukee or locally (Luxumberg, Wisconsin) for between $3.25 and $3.85 per board foot for 4/4 through 8/4.

I would be happy to forward lumber to you at my cost. We can truck it to Indiana on our truck (again at cost of about $500) or arrange to be shipped common carrier.

JIM MALONEY
I am in the office furniture manufacturing business and purchase Honduras Mahogany in Milwaukee or locally (Luxumberg, Wisconsin) for between $3.25 and $3.85 per board foot for 4/4 through 8/4.

I would be happy to forward lumber to you at my cost. We can truck it to Indiana on our truck (again at cost of about $500) or arrange to be shipped common carrier.

JIM MALONEY

Carlsboats
09-30-2000, 08:43 AM
You have probably long since decided what to do about the mahogany planking, but just in case the issue is still open, I can confirm that Phillipine mahog. is great for planking. I used it to strip-plank a 40 foot yawl, and it worked out beautifully. If you are bright finishing, though, you would be better served by a true mahogany, Honduras or so- called SAM --South American Mahog., because it looks so much better under varnish. It is not cheap (I paid $5/BM last year at America's Wood Co. in Maine for clear, almost pattern grade stock), but good-quality Phillipine mahog. is also getting pricey, and the price savings for one boat would not be much.

Carlsboats
You have probably long since decided what to do about the mahogany planking, but just in case the issue is still open, I can confirm that Phillipine mahog. is great for planking. I used it to strip-plank a 40 foot yawl, and it worked out beautifully. If you are bright finishing, though, you would be better served by a true mahogany, Honduras or so- called SAM --South American Mahog., because it looks so much better under varnish. It is not cheap (I paid $5/BM last year at America's Wood Co. in Maine for clear, almost pattern grade stock), but good-quality Phillipine mahog. is also getting pricey, and the price savings for one boat would not be much.

Carlsboats

dngoodchild
10-01-2000, 06:44 AM
I have a small, local lumberyard that I use for just about everything. There is more that he doesn't carry than does but he can get ANYTHING. While his yard serves builder's and the construction trade, I have purchased bending ply, Honduras Mahogany, Honduras Mahogany veneers, Cherry, etc., etc., from him in the past. Try a good local lumberyard; if they are still around they are good and will be able to help you almost certainly.

dngoodchild
I have a small, local lumberyard that I use for just about everything. There is more that he doesn't carry than does but he can get ANYTHING. While his yard serves builder's and the construction trade, I have purchased bending ply, Honduras Mahogany, Honduras Mahogany veneers, Cherry, etc., etc., from him in the past. Try a good local lumberyard; if they are still around they are good and will be able to help you almost certainly.

dngoodchild

paladin
01-05-2001, 09:38 AM
You should know what you want or what your boat is made of, and I assume that you know Philippine Mahogany os not mahogany but a tropical cedar. Philippine Mahogany is a registered trade name because it looks like mahogany, but it must be stained. In sunlight under varnish it will turn urine yellow.

paladin
You should know what you want or what your boat is made of, and I assume that you know Philippine Mahogany os not mahogany but a tropical cedar. Philippine Mahogany is a registered trade name because it looks like mahogany, but it must be stained. In sunlight under varnish it will turn urine yellow.

paladin

jake
01-06-2001, 06:43 AM
Philippine Mahogany is almost extinct in the Philippines. I was there for two years in Samar and Mindanao in the early 80s, strictly in the rural areas, and overcutting, clearcutting of it and poaching has cleared it totally out of both islands. I am told its the same for Cebu and Luzon. What sells for that now is as was pointed out a cedar.As you fly into Manila you can see a brown stain more then fifty miles out to see, my seat mate said it was silt washed out from erosion from overlogging. This in 1981.

If you want a strong, longlived wood that will make tough decking and take a good red stain why not US grown and sawn white oak?

For decking it will outlast 'Philipppine Mahogany' and is a renewable resource here.

I would make a sizeable bet that you can locate white oak in your home state area.

jake
Philippine Mahogany is almost extinct in the Philippines. I was there for two years in Samar and Mindanao in the early 80s, strictly in the rural areas, and overcutting, clearcutting of it and poaching has cleared it totally out of both islands. I am told its the same for Cebu and Luzon. What sells for that now is as was pointed out a cedar.As you fly into Manila you can see a brown stain more then fifty miles out to see, my seat mate said it was silt washed out from erosion from overlogging. This in 1981.

If you want a strong, longlived wood that will make tough decking and take a good red stain why not US grown and sawn white oak?

For decking it will outlast 'Philipppine Mahogany' and is a renewable resource here.

I would make a sizeable bet that you can locate white oak in your home state area.

jake