X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eflanders
    • Jan 2013

old motor help request

OK folks I've got an old 6" jointer made by Powermatic and the motor just won't turn on its own anymore. The motor was made by AO Smith for Delta Rockwell. Here are the specs on the motor tag: 1/2 hp, 115/230 volt, 1725 rpm, 60 cycle, 1 phase, 7/3.5 amp, frame 56Y, type CS.

Here are my questions:
    1). Could the capacitor be the issue here?
    2). Are these old motors worth rebuilding vs. busing new?
    3). If I replace the motor would it be a good idea to go to a higher hp one? I've never had hp issues in the past.

Here are some added notes: I had it wired for 230 for energy efficiency. The motor is a dual shaft unit and I suspect that it was a replacement already especially considering it is a motor with a Delta/Rockwell tag on it.

Your assistance is appreciated! Eric
  • TerryLL
    Lake Pend Oreille Idaho
    • Mar 2007

Re: old motor help request

Have you checked to voltage to the motor? Does it hum when you turn it on?

Those motors are fairly inexpensive, so I'd look for a new replacement rather than a rebuild.

Check with Powermatic for the recommended size before deciding on the motor HP, but a 1/2 HP on a 6" jointer sounds a bit light. The new models have a 1 HP.

Comment

• paulf
      • Jan 2012

Check the windings to see if there is a short, check the brushes for contact and yes the starting cap could be at fault.

Some auto parts stores will check them for you if you are a regular customer.
      PaulF

Comment

• the_gr8t_waldo
        • Nov 2008

Either the capacitor is dead or start switch (cyntriffical switch inside of the motor) is clogged with saw shavings. Replacing the motor would be my very last resort. As dual shaft motors can't be cheap!
        Last edited by the_gr8t_waldo; 04-21-2015, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• seanz
          Resilient?
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by the_gr8t_waldo
          Either the capacitor is dead or start switch (cyntriffical switch inside of the motor) is clogged with saw shavings. Replacing the motor would be my very last resort. As dual shaft motors can't be cheap!
          Blow it out with compressed air maybe?

I second taking it to a repair shop, or calling a friend that has a 'ticket'. The problem might be easy enough to fix. Check first.

On the subject of "just replace the motor, they're cheap enough", I laugh, ha! ha!. Sometimes there's a lot of phaffing about to replace a motor. Mind you, it has expanded my mechanical and electrical general knowledge somewhat.
          We don't know how lucky we are....

Comment

• Tom Lathrop
            • Dec 1999

The most common problem with an induction motor that won't start is a bad capacitor. Take the old one off and have a shop test it. Most towns will have a motor repair shop. An old electric motor that works well is as good as a new one.
            Tom L

Comment

• the_gr8t_waldo
              • Nov 2008

All c.switches (assuming this even uses one for starting)I've seen were on the end of the shaft, with access from the wiring compartment ....having a wee bit of trouble visualizing what is meant by " double shaft" I'm assuming that, in this case the shaft extends thru the other end of the motor, as well- for an additional sheive. Shop vacume cleaner, even a tooth brush can clean it out- all some what, routine maintance ..BTW 1/2hp seems really small for this size tool
              Last edited by the_gr8t_waldo; 04-22-2015, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• kc8pql
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Tom Lathrop
                The most common problem with an induction motor that won't start is a bad capacitor. Take the old one off and have a shop test it. Most towns will have a motor repair shop. An old electric motor that works well is as good as a new one.
                ^ This.

Comment

• eflanders
                  • Jan 2013

I've ordered a new TEFC 1hp motor from Grizzly. I will have the old motor checked out and I'll use it for a buffing wheel setup. Thanks everyone!

Comment

• nedL
                    Senior Member #1976
                    • Jul 2000

I would agree, most likely the starting capacitor. About a $5.00 item from Digi-Key. I've replaced a couple in the past year or so, takes about 10 minutes - faster than swapping out the motor.

Comment

• epoxyboy
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by paulf
                      Check the windings to see if there is a short, check the brushes for contact and yes the starting cap could be at fault.

Some auto parts stores will check them for you if you are a regular customer.
                      If its a single phase induction motor, it wont have brushes, and the cap, switch for the start winding or the start winding itself are the most likely culprits.
                      If its a brushed motor, it wont have the cap, start winding or the centrifugal switch.

Either way, it is unlikely that you would pick up a shorted winding with a multimeter, especially if you dont know what its resistance was to begin with. It it was badly enough shorted to be obvious with a meter, the smoke would almost certainly have leaked out and made a nasty stink in your shop, and it would likely have tripped a breaker.

Pete
                      The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Comment

• eflanders
                        • Jan 2013

The issue with the old motor was the capacitor. Once replaced it runs good again. I'm going to use it for a buffer now.

Comment

Working...