PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw

JimM
02-28-2001, 08:57 PM
Hi all
I am in the market to buy a table saw. I have been looking at a number of different models/makes and could use some advice. I need to try to keep the purchase price between $500 and $800 dollars.

I looked at a Roybi table saw but have read as much bad as good about the saw. I have also been looking at Powermatic, Delta and Craftsman. There isn't a Powermatic dealer near me so I can't get my hand on one. I have been deprived and haven't owned a table saw before.

Thank you all for your help.

Jim

JimM
Hi all
I am in the market to buy a table saw. I have been looking at a number of different models/makes and could use some advice. I need to try to keep the purchase price between $500 and $800 dollars.

I looked at a Roybi table saw but have read as much bad as good about the saw. I have also been looking at Powermatic, Delta and Craftsman. There isn't a Powermatic dealer near me so I can't get my hand on one. I have been deprived and haven't owned a table saw before.

Jim

JimM
Hi all

Jim

Ed Harrow
02-28-2001, 09:56 PM
Jim, there was quite a discussion a while ago, sort of on this topic. I did a quick search, but didn't find it. The searchy thing is in the upper right of the page. The particular thread was started by Scott Rosen. I have a Delta Contractor, with the Unifence and side table. My old saw was an ancient Craftsman, with a motor the size of a small-block chevy. A friend bought the saw, put on a newfence, side table, belt, tightened up the stand, cleaned it up a bit, and for about $350 dollars has a saw that cuts just as well as my $800 saw. Consider used, but be certain the trunion is OK.

Also, general interest, somewhere I saw some clever widgets that make it very easy to adjust the alignment of a Contractor's style saw. Not too expensive, either. If I find the source I'll post it.

Ed Harrow
Jim, there was quite a discussion a while ago, sort of on this topic. I did a quick search, but didn't find it. The searchy thing is in the upper right of the page. The particular thread was started by Scott Rosen. I have a Delta Contractor, with the Unifence and side table. My old saw was an ancient Craftsman, with a motor the size of a small-block chevy. A friend bought the saw, put on a newfence, side table, belt, tightened up the stand, cleaned it up a bit, and for about $350 dollars has a saw that cuts just as well as my $800 saw. Consider used, but be certain the trunion is OK.

Also, general interest, somewhere I saw some clever widgets that make it very easy to adjust the alignment of a Contractor's style saw. Not too expensive, either. If I find the source I'll post it.

Ed Harrow

Frank Hagan
02-28-2001, 11:41 PM
Jim, you might also want to consider Jet Equipment. I looked at both the Jet and Delta contractor's saws, and decided on the Jet due to price (about $549, with a $50 rebate, for the 10" model with stamped steel wings and the Jet Fence.) It is head and shoulders above my old Craftsman saw, even after I tricked it out with all the goodies. Out of the box, the Jet blade had no runout that I could measure, and the saw ran with very little vibration (a nickle on edge would stay that way with the saw running.)

Jet Equipment purchased Powermatic a year or so ago, but having looked at both, I would buy the Jet brand again. I liked the table saw so much that I bought their 14" band saw a year and a half ago.

http://users2.ev1.net/~fshagan/jettable.gif

Don't know where you live, but on the west coast, Post Tools carries the Jet saws, and on the east Woodworker's Warehouse has them. Also, Amazon.com is offering free shipping on tools over $399. Here's a link to their listing on the saw:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000223MF/franksweekendepr

Frank Hagan
Jim, you might also want to consider Jet Equipment. I looked at both the Jet and Delta contractor's saws, and decided on the Jet due to price (about $549, with a $50 rebate, for the 10" model with stamped steel wings and the Jet Fence.) It is head and shoulders above my old Craftsman saw, even after I tricked it out with all the goodies. Out of the box, the Jet blade had no runout that I could measure, and the saw ran with very little vibration (a nickle on edge would stay that way with the saw running.)

Jet Equipment purchased Powermatic a year or so ago, but having looked at both, I would buy the Jet brand again. I liked the table saw so much that I bought their 14" band saw a year and a half ago.

Don't know where you live, but on the west coast, Post Tools carries the Jet saws, and on the east Woodworker's Warehouse has them. Also, Amazon.com is offering free shipping on tools over $399. Here's a link to their listing on the saw:

Frank Hagan

JimM
03-01-2001, 09:19 AM
Hi all
Thanks for the help.
It has taken me longer to decide on a table saw than a pickup. I guess I must think it will last longer. I've had my Pickup 14 years.

Jim

JimM
Hi all
Thanks for the help.
It has taken me longer to decide on a table saw than a pickup. I guess I must think it will last longer. I've had my Pickup 14 years.

Jim

JimM
Hi all
Thanks for the help.

Jim

Jamie Hascall
03-01-2001, 07:54 PM
I just saw a new Bosch portable table saw that blew anything else I've seen out of the water. It is definitely something I would try to see before making a decision.

Good Luck,
Jamie

Jamie Hascall
I just saw a new Bosch portable table saw that blew anything else I've seen out of the water. It is definitely something I would try to see before making a decision.

Good Luck,
Jamie

Jamie Hascall

Good Luck,
Jamie

JimM
03-02-2001, 08:46 AM
Thank Jamie
I was able to look into the Bosch 4000 last night and purchses one from Sleggtool.com. By fare the cheepest price I could find on the web when freight and tax was included. Now to build a router table and start building my boat. Yippy.

Thanks everyone for your help. This list is a great source of information for someone like myself who is new to boat building.

Jim

JimM
Thank Jamie
I was able to look into the Bosch 4000 last night and purchses one from Sleggtool.com. By fare the cheepest price I could find on the web when freight and tax was included. Now to build a router table and start building my boat. Yippy.

Thanks everyone for your help. This list is a great source of information for someone like myself who is new to boat building.

Jim

JimM
Thank Jamie

Jim