PDA

View Full Version : Nylon Zipper Freeze-Ups: Prevention, Cure?

PeteCress
04-15-2015, 08:30 AM
Most of my boating-related bags have nylon zippers.

Typically they will work during the season and then, after sitting in the garage over the winter, will become frozen.

Does anybody have a tried-and-true method of freeing them up? I'm thinking the application of something-or-other. I tried a couple of things (alcohol, water...) but don't want to make a mess by experimenting further.

Ways to prevent their freezing up?

lagspiller
04-15-2015, 08:49 AM
We used to give them a rub with a bar of soap.

Breakaway
04-15-2015, 09:18 AM
I have had goof luck with spray lube; or try a warm water soak to dissolve salt crystals and grunge.

Lagspiller's bar of soap is good for zippers once they are free and to keep them free. Personally, I keep zippers running smooth with a white crayon for white zippers or metal zippers and a dark crayon for dark zippers . Waxes them up quick, easy and precisely.

Nice thing about wax is that it is a dry lube, and so doesn't attract grit and dust like a spray or a jelly--which can put you back to square one.

kevin

Canoeyawl
04-15-2015, 09:59 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31VvtkNtJ%2BL._SY300_.jpg

callsign222
04-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Paraffin/candles are a quick, easy, and effective lube for heavy duty plastic zippers.

Gib Etheridge
04-15-2015, 11:35 AM
Hey, I just learned something! Thanks! Love this forum.

Covite
04-16-2015, 11:58 AM
I keep a bit of beeswax in my rigging bag, just rub it on the teeth of the zipper, works great.