PDA

View Full Version : American Politics - Is there anything more stupider

Paul Pless
04-14-2015, 07:55 AM
Than an election cycle that lasts 18 to 24 months long and costs somewhere well north of $2 billion for the Presidential race and a little over $8 billion if we include the Congressional elections?

Especially in light of the existence of multiple left, right, and centrist news outlets that will cover every aspect of each candidate's political and personal lives down to the level of absurd minutia.

Dumbest **** ever. . .

Kevin T
04-14-2015, 08:37 AM
Stupid yes, so just think of it as a "jobs program". In fact 8 billion likely represents a greater number than the bottom 40 or 50 countries in the world's GDP rankings.

Sky Blue
04-14-2015, 08:46 AM
It is kind of silly. It has become like a sporting event. Like following a baseball team over a season. I remember complaining about an election result to a colleague and his response was: "you're gonna be alright." His point being, of course, to not take things so seriously because in the end the election result was not going to be a life changing event.

Duncan Gibbs
04-14-2015, 08:50 AM
Ours is officially four weeks tops. Parties may go into campaign mode well ahead, but they don't actually launch anything serious until they are within that four week timeframe.

Old Dryfoot
04-14-2015, 09:26 AM
We have a minimum length of 36 days here, our longest campaign was 74 days and that was in 1926.

peb
04-14-2015, 09:26 AM
I think George Will said once that Americans spend more on chewing gum every year than we do on presidential elections. I am ok with the cost portion.
As to the length of time, I agree. But I think it is a hopeless cause. It all plays into the two-party system, the system is rigged for that system to prevail. I am not for sure that is a good thing, but it seems to be a fact of life.

John Smith
04-14-2015, 09:31 AM
I always wonder if this money were spent in more productive directions how much better off the nation would be.

Instead, for example, of giving money to a PAC, put it towards rebuilding a bridge.

Kevin T
04-14-2015, 09:38 AM
"The Medium is the message" and the real beneficiary of our bloated system is the broadcast and cable networks. Most or at least a good portion of that PAC money goes to television corporations and advertising firms. Shills and ad men have to feed their families just like everybody else, no?

Gerarddm
04-14-2015, 09:41 AM
Time to buy stock in cable and broadcast media companies.Their national ad sales managers are going to be in clover.

LeeG
04-14-2015, 09:58 AM
The original unreality show to tickle viewers fear and pleasure buttons.

Paul Pless
04-14-2015, 09:59 AM
worse than the money is the effect it has governance for the entirety of the campaign

Kevin T
04-14-2015, 10:24 AM
worse than the money is the effect it has governance for the entirety of the campaign

Oh I think it reaches beyond just the silly season and into the day to day of ordinary life.

We see people here who have bought the propaganda, hook, line and stinker :-(