PDA

View Full Version : What's Jeb Bush like ?

PeterSibley
04-13-2015, 04:56 AM
In the very short clips I've seen here he looks sane , certainly saner than some of the other Republican candidates . How does the panel feel about him? Would he make a good president ? ( a difficult question for Democratic voters of course).

From my perspective Hillary would make an excellent Republican candidate !

AnalogKid
04-13-2015, 05:19 AM
In the very short clips I've seen here he looks sane , certainly saner than some of the other Republican candidates . How does the panel feel about him? Would he make a good president ? ( a difficult question for Democratic voters of course)...

I'd be interested to hear what Jeb's about. Surely he has more about him than being the least bad / most sane / brother of, etc.

...From my perspective Hillary would make an excellent Republican candidate !

She's been endorsed by our managing director, I mean PM, so she's got that against her.

seanz
04-13-2015, 05:25 AM
What's he like? Rigging elections.
;)

Chris Coose
04-13-2015, 05:37 AM
I'll bet of the three, he is the most ruthless. Secretiveandlyingbastards, the whole bunch of them.

Tom Hunter
04-13-2015, 05:46 AM
Back in 2000 I found myself wishing he was running and not his brother. He seemed smarter and less dogmatic at the time, and did not have the close association with Cheney. That was 15 years ago, and I am not sure how much he has changed.

America needs some shaking up, the two guys who are interested in shaking things are Bernie Saunders and Rand Paul. Bush was a centrist, what ever he may be now he is unlikely to change anything in a big way.

Edited to add that Chris is likely right.

Reynard38
04-13-2015, 05:47 AM
I'll bet of the three, he is the most ruthless. Secretiveandlyingbastards, the whole bunch of them.

He's a politician. What were you expecting?

At least he doesn't have a law degree from an Ivy League school. I see that as a plus.

Curtism
04-13-2015, 06:07 AM
"certainly saner than some of the other Republican candidates"

This has been proven over the years, but that's not a very high bar. As Republicans go (or went, back then) he was a fairly moderate Governor who vetoed much of the wing-nuttier legislation that his own party was pushing through. He could be pragmatic at times but that was back before the advent of the Tparty momentum and the headwind wasn't nearly as stiff. They're (local print media) saying that his biggest challenge now will be whether he can maintain that reputation of sensibility, however thin, and also keep pace against farther right candidates like Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz.

Garret
04-13-2015, 06:18 AM
He's a politician. What were you expecting?

At least he doesn't have a law degree from an Ivy League school. I see that as a plus.

Ah - but he went to prep school (Andover) right behind his bro - we were in the same class. IIRC, he did a senior year in Mexico & I think that's when he met his wife. I remember him as entitled & arrogant - but very bright. However - I spent little time around him after 10th grade. A person changes a lot during those years.

PeterSibley
04-13-2015, 06:28 AM
"certainly saner than some of the other Republican candidates"

This has been proven over the years, but that's not a very high bar. As Republicans go (or went, back then) he was a fairly moderate Governor who vetoed much of the wing-nuttier legislation that his own party was pushing through. He could be pragmatic at times but that was back before the advent of the Tparty momentum and the headwind wasn't nearly as stiff. They're (local print media) saying that his biggest challenge now will be whether he can maintain that reputation of sensibility, however thin, and also keep pace against farther right candidates like Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz.

Which would mean winning a succession of Republican primaries all around the country included those slightly less sane areas?

Dan McCosh
04-13-2015, 06:34 AM
He started off in banking, working hard to make money in the saving and loan collapse, defaulting on loans, etc. Then went on to Florida real estate development--following the usual path to wealth, borrowing money and not paying it back..

Chris Coose
04-13-2015, 06:56 AM
What were you expecting?

I am expecting his father and brother to be jailed for war crimes and this fool to skulk out of the political and national limelight.

Kevin T
04-13-2015, 06:56 AM
Terry Schiavo (sp)

Garret
04-13-2015, 07:04 AM
I am expecting his father and brother to be jailed for war crimes and this fool to skulk out of the political and national limelight.

You are making a serious mistake thinking Jeb is a fool. He is anything but. Wrong? Sure - but nobody's fool.

Nicholas Scheuer
04-13-2015, 07:08 AM
I'm against Dynasties on the USA Presidential scene. Hillary is only a BIT different, being a go-getter woman, but Jeb is ONLY the son of a past President.

Chris Coose
04-13-2015, 07:11 AM
Sure - but nobody's fool.
I hosie he can be my fool.

PeterSibley
04-13-2015, 07:16 AM
So what are his chances of surviving the Republican primaries ?

Kevin T
04-13-2015, 07:37 AM

His chances are essentially the same as all of the other contenders, as long as he goes so far off the reservation that he can gain the attention of the Republican primary voter he could capture the nomination.

He then faces the same problem as all of the other potential nominees. 'Can he tack back far enough to the center and be believable enough for the general election voter.

He does have the added burden of distancing himself from his brother's legacy and job losses record. I give him a one in eight shot, which maybe the number of Rep nom competitors.

John Smith
04-13-2015, 07:51 AM
Terry Schiavo (sp)

Yes. That will tell anyone who bothers to look it up what Jeb is like, and it should scare the hell out of them. Among the other things we KNOW is his foreign policy advisers are pretty much the same people his brother had, and that's also true of his economic advisers.

He was also governor of Florida for the 2000 election, and we all know how that went. Among the other problems were DUI checks at commuter time in certain areas designed, apparently, to prevent certain voters from getting to the polls. No way to know, but I'd wager if those road blocks weren't set up, Gore would have been president.

The margin was so small that the error on the butterfly ballot made the difference. Nader being on the ballot made the difference. That traffic congestion made the difference. Take any one of those factors out and Gore would have been president.

Let's not forget, G.W. was they guy people wanted to have a beer with. That got him some votes.

There is a lot of talk about "dynasties", but I disagree with it in that Hillary is not a Clinton by blood. She's not a daughter or a sister.

I can't find it, but I'm certain I've seen Jeb asked about his brother and he responded that his brother was doing a good job.

John Smith
04-13-2015, 07:54 AM

I think this depends on the questions posed. In order to get past the primaries he may have to go on record as denying Evolution and Climate change. But those questions may not be asked this cycle.

He got a ton of money early. In one way that will help him. In another it may hurt him. Then there's the question of how the other candidates view him. He may be, in a way, their common enemy.

This could be fun.

PeterSibley
04-13-2015, 08:02 AM
It sure promises months of entertainment !

John Smith
04-13-2015, 09:09 AM
I do wish we had debates where the candidates ask each other questions. I also wish they'd get to sit for the debates. After all, the Oval office has chairs.

Paul Pless
04-13-2015, 09:12 AM
i think they should have fans under their podiums

TomF
04-13-2015, 09:16 AM
So what are his chances of surviving the Republican primaries ?I think Romney demonstrated what's necessary, and the predictable costs of it.

Etch-a-sketch positions. Views thundered and lectern-pounded during the Primaries are necessary to get the nomination, even if that means utterly abandoning and repudiating your previous record. But that previous record will be necessary to actually capture enough votes to win the Presidency.

The predictable costs are the further inflammation and fracturing of the Republican party - with the hostility that's directed towards Dems being also turned against their own Presidential candidates when they drop enough of the RWW lunacy to become electable to anyone else. McCain and Romney are both roundly reviled by the TP faction, in particular because of claims they're RINOs or flip-floppers.

John Smith
04-13-2015, 09:23 AM
My hope, faint as it is, is that the Republican primaries will convince enough people to vote for Democrats that we'll have a Democratic president and a Democratic congress; filibuster proof.

Then we'll get a lot of thing done that need to get done. We need our government to function.

Paul Pless
04-13-2015, 09:26 AM
I think Romney demonstrated what's necessary, and the predictable costs of it.

Etch-a-sketch positions. Views thundered and lectern-pounded during the Primaries are necessary to get the nomination, even if that means utterly abandoning and repudiating your previous record. But that previous record will be necessary to actually capture enough votes to win the Presidency.

The predictable costs are the further inflammation and fracturing of the Republican party - with the hostility that's directed towards Dems being also turned against their own Presidential candidates when they drop enough of the RWW lunacy to become electable to anyone else. McCain and Romney are both roundly reviled by the TP faction, in particular because of claims they're RINOs or flip-floppers.
its funny really, this used to be the problem that democratic candidates had, run hard left during primaries and then flip flop into an unelectable position for the election