PDA

View Full Version : Next: the Olympics?

Dan McCosh
04-10-2015, 11:48 AM
My son just won the Mexican national crew master's championship in a double, at the age of 46. His daughter took a bronze medal in a quad at the age of 16.

Paul Pless
04-10-2015, 11:50 AM
awesome

a father daughter team perhaps? :D

The Bigfella
04-10-2015, 01:37 PM
Great work. Congrats

CWSmith
04-10-2015, 01:56 PM
I assume that you have heard the Olympic venue for boats is not very desirable. From what I've read, it's one step up from a toilet bowl and a lot of people are complaining.

However, congratulations on an amazing accomplishment.

TomF
04-10-2015, 01:58 PM
That's one whole lot of pain being expressed. Very well done.

I remember my kids' rowing coach describing the perfect race thus: "Show a high enough power output in the first quarter to humiliate and crush your competitors' spirit, but not so high to make you drop power output by the final quarter from lactic buildup. Strong 20 strokes to close, and throw up in the water a boat length past the finish line."

John of Phoenix
04-10-2015, 02:34 PM
and throw up in the water a boat length past the finish line.Well then, they'll be right at home racing in that toilet bowl.

S.V. Airlie
04-10-2015, 03:45 PM
Congrats! Crew? 2 or 4 or 8? My nephews two were on the US ski team but, family life, obligations, got the most of them. One's wife runs most of the ski areas in Col. All very athletic and competitive. That's what it takes; unique individuals!

purri
04-10-2015, 05:26 PM
Ah Dan, it's a great thing to see them doing so well. FWIW my missis won 4 gold and a silver at the World Master Games in Piemonte (Lago di Candia) in 2013 at the well seasoned age of 62 (F and G groups) in a pair, double, womens 4, mixed four and mixed eight. She has many junior and senior national titles since she started at age 14. Believe me it's a whole world of pain with 4AM out of bed summer and winter 5 days a week, plus the ergo, running and weights.

I just get to hear the post event analysis and quiet bitching that goes with it all. (joke)

While the ex SIL won the world masters pairs 2 years running at Poznan and Varese.

BTW the Alaskan crews did well, unlike the lower 48.

Dan McCosh
04-10-2015, 06:02 PM
I assume that you have heard the Olympic venue for boats is not very desirable. From what I've read, it's one step up from a toilet bowl and a lot of people are complaining.

However, congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. I don't not where the races were held. The old Olympic course outside of Mexico City, which is where they work out regularly, was cleaned up a long time ago.

Dan McCosh
04-10-2015, 06:03 PM
That's one whole lot of pain being expressed. Very well done.

I remember my kids' rowing coach describing the perfect race thus: "Show a high enough power output in the first quarter to humiliate and crush your competitors' spirit, but not so high to make you drop power output by the final quarter from lactic buildup. Strong 20 strokes to close, and throw up in the water a boat length past the finish line." That's a pretty good description of the racing he did when he as in college and also on the Club Espana team--a bit more laid back these days. FWIW, Granddaughter also recently qualified for the upcoming Junior Olympics.

CWSmith
04-10-2015, 06:05 PM
I don't not where the races were held. The old Olympic course outside of Mexico City, which is where they work out regularly, was cleaned up a long time ago.

I think the 2016 summer Olympics are in Rio.

Still, it's an amazing accomplishment and I wish them both great luck and success.