PDA

View Full Version : My junior US Senator is neglecting his job.

Tom Montgomery
04-10-2015, 07:46 AM
Rand Paul is a slacker who is wrapped up in his own ambition. The Commonwealth of Kentucky deserves better representation than this:

Rand Paul canít find time in his busy schedule to do his job.

Rand Paul's presidential campaign slogan is a call to "defeat the Washington machine," and you have to ask if one of the ways he's trying to defeat it is by skipping out on his job (http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/rand-paul-has-skipped-most-homeland-security-hearings-since?utm_term=.wfxRl280l#.gjyJrgkNx) as a senator.

Sen Rand Paul has skipped most Homeland Security hearings since 2014, a review of videos and documents related to the hearings show. BuzzFeed News was only able to verify Paulís attendance at five out of 73 hearings since last January, less than ten percent overall.

And it's not that he's been skipping the hearings on issues he didn't consider important, but laser focusing on the topics he really cares about: ďAs President, I would secure our border immediately,Ē Paulís website reads. ďBefore issuing any visas or starting the legal immigration process, we must first ensure that our border is secure.Ē

Paul missed four different hearings related to border security this month.

Paul's office countered that -- hey -- he'd been there for almost all of the votes the full Senate held, and also he's been playing populist hooky because he meets with constituents sometimes instead of going to committee hearings. But shouldn't a guy who's making a HUGE deal out of how members of Congress should read every page of every bill be attending the hearings that at least theoretically inform future legislation and provide information on how existing laws are working out?

Paul isn't alone in the Republican presidential field, though, even though there's only one other officially declared candidate. Sen. Ted Cruz has also been shirking his committee responsibilities (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/04/01/1374893/-Sen-Ted-Cruz-is-on-the-Armed-Services-Committee-but-he-hasn-t-been-showing-nbsp-up), amassing the worst attendance record on the Senate Armed Services Committee so far in 2015.

http://www.dailykos.com/#

Norman Bernstein
04-10-2015, 07:57 AM
Not much can be done about it, since the nature of our election process demands that potential candidates hit the road frequently.... and miss a great deal of their ordinary work, frequently.

I agree that it's a shame.... however, I do have at least one idea that might make the situation more equitable: dock the senator or congressman's pay, for each day that Congress is in session and they're not in attendance. They only make $174K, base salary, and not all of them are independently wealthy, so the salary is important to them. Congress is in recess more than enough, for any of them to meet with constituents, so that dodge won't hunt.

I think the situation is a lot worse for Governors who leave their state for politicking. Chris Christie, for example, is spending a lot more time on the road, in pursuit of his political ambitions, than he spends in the NJ Statehouse. There are only so many out-of-state trips which are legitimate on the basis of 'trade promotion and negotiation', but Christie seems to be doing a lot of that in Iowa, New Hampshire, etc.

Admittedly, Presidents do a lot of politicking on the road... and Obama is no exception. The difference, perhaps, is that there's an order of magnitude of greater hourly responsibility for a President, and between 45 minute stump speeches, he's far more likely to be dealing with national issues from Air Force One, by phone or secure communication, etc.

RonW
04-10-2015, 08:00 AM
It would seem obvious that your fellow Kentuckians don't agree with you. And besides why worry about homeland security meetings when you plan on curtailing their unconstitutional agenda, and there is no border security, Berry has seen to that little mishap..

Hey did you get to go to the rally up there in Louisville, I looked for you but didn't see you..

Tom Montgomery
04-10-2015, 08:02 AM
It would seem obvious that your fellow Kentuckians don't agree with you.
And how do you reckon that?

peb
04-10-2015, 09:38 AM
Illinois had this problem a few years back

hokiefan
04-10-2015, 11:07 AM
In my view we're all better off without Rand Paul's participation.

Cheers,

Bobby

Michael D. Storey
04-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Well, you can work to see that he does not get beyond the "junior" rank

S.V. Airlie
04-10-2015, 12:55 PM
And how do you reckon that?Everything is unconstitutional to Ron, if the Constitution, as written, doesn't agree to his version of it!

Tom Montgomery
04-12-2015, 09:02 AM
Current law in the Commonwealth of Kentucky prohibits any person from appearing on an election ballot for two separate offices. I believe that law applies to both the primary ballot and the general election ballot. That means Rand Paul may not run for re-election to the Senate in Kentucky. Unless, of course, he chooses to forego the Kentucky GOP presidential primary. Wouldn't that go over well? ;)

There is a lot of speculation that the GOP will see to it that the law is changed to accommodate Paul. But that remains to be seen. Kentuckians can be stubborn when it comes to principle, regardless of their political affiliation.

Tom Montgomery
04-12-2015, 09:11 AM
Yes, that is what he sez. What he can actually DO is another question entirely.

As things stand at the moment... if he declines to enter the Kentucky GOP presidential primary AND SUBSEQUENTLY IS NOT the GOP presidential nominee THEN he may appear on the general election ballot in Kentucky for U.S. Senator.

That news people do not question him about this issue when they interview the man is just another example of how badly American journalism SUCKS in the 21st century.

Garret
04-12-2015, 11:26 AM
Anyone who says there's no border security hasn't been near a border. Of course HS focuses more on making life difficult for US citizens than anything else - but it's a good revenue generator.

I'm good with RP skipping out of work. That way he not only won't ever be president, but the damage he does in DC will be reduced.

Michael D. Storey
04-13-2015, 02:56 PM
I just watched an interview with Chuck Todd and Rand on Meet the Press where he was asked if he was running for both offices and Rand answered in the affirmative.

So, if he were to take up residency in Villa Vanilla, and if he has also won the senate seat, the actual senator would be appointed, and not the people's choice? Indicates his high opinion of the electorate.