PDA

View Full Version : Mark Twain on religion.

Jim Bow
04-10-2015, 12:34 AM
We despise all reverences and all the objects of reverence which are outside the pale of our own list of sacred things. And yet, with strange inconsistency, we are shocked when other people despise and defile the things which are holy to us.
- Following the Equator

Glen Longino
04-10-2015, 12:46 AM
We despise all reverences and all the objects of reverence which are outside the pale of our own list of sacred things. And yet, with strange inconsistency, we are shocked when other people despise and defile the things which are holy to us.
- Following the Equator

Some one of our members has that quote as a byline...maybe Tom F!
I'll have to go looking.

purri
04-10-2015, 01:46 AM
Ambrose Bierce said it better.

TomF
04-10-2015, 05:28 AM
Some one of our members has that quote as a byline...maybe Tom F!
I'll have to go looking.yep !

Norman Bernstein
04-10-2015, 07:20 AM
- Following the Equator

Thankfully, I can exclude myself from that syndrome, since the only things I hold holy, are things that nobody is interested in defiling or despising.

Tom Montgomery
04-10-2015, 07:34 AM
"Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." -- Mark Twain

Tom Wilkinson
04-10-2015, 07:44 AM
I'm appalled by what passes for religious "company" these days. It isn't the Christianity I was raised in. Maybe it's worse in the south, but they are some of the most intolerant people I've met, to the point that I can no longer attend or care to associate with many of them. Quit dating a woman because I couldn't sit through another meal with her preacher parents and their views.

Jim Bow
04-10-2015, 01:36 PM
The South also produced Jimmy Carter and MLK. There are lots of quiet religious folks down there.

CWSmith
04-10-2015, 01:58 PM
I'm appalled by what passes for religious "company" these days. It isn't the Christianity I was raised in. Maybe it's worse in the south, but they are some of the most intolerant people I've met, to the point that I can no longer attend or care to associate with many of them. Quit dating a woman because I couldn't sit through another meal with her preacher parents and their views.

I don't think the vast majority of good people make the news.

Tom Wilkinson
04-10-2015, 05:18 PM
I don't think the vast majority of good people make the news.

Did I mention people that make the news?

You're right, but I'm not sure what that point has to do with the discussion.