PDA

View Full Version : There's a new Federal tax... and I'm perfectly happy to pay it.

Norman Bernstein
04-09-2015, 01:19 PM
I received the renewal form for my boat's documentation certificate last week... and unlike in previous years, it now requires a $26 fee for renewal.

it's OK with me. Documentation is one of a huge array of services to boat owners (and really, to the entire nation, that the Coast Guard provides. Documentation records alone probably cost the USCG hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars.... and while I don't cruise internationally, I like knowing that if I ever did, I'd have the full protection of the nation that is accorded to any US-flagged vessel. The other services provided by the USCG are absolutely critical to my ability to enjoy sailing in US waters.... and the legends of lives saved are legion.

Unlike some, I like paying a tax for a government service... and it doesn't matter if it's a service I personally take advantage of, or not, but it's even better, when it IS a service I might need personally.

BrianW
04-09-2015, 01:53 PM
It's new?

I have to register my boat with the Feds now?

Clarkey
04-09-2015, 01:58 PM
The idea of registering a boat seems entirely alien to me.

Norman Bernstein
04-09-2015, 02:06 PM
It's new?

I have to register my boat with the Feds now?

It applies to documented vessels. Is your boat documented?

BETTY-B
04-09-2015, 02:52 PM
I thought it kinda sucked myself. I would think with $640 Billion in defense spending, they should be able to find enough to cover a bit of paperwork being sent out. They don't even send it out on nice paper anymore. I mean, really...this isn't costing jack schmidt.

BrianW
04-09-2015, 03:01 PM
It applies to documented vessels. Is your boat documented?

Nope. Not this one. The big one was.

When you said there was a federal tax, I thought you meant for everyone.

In Alaska, prior to 2001, there was no State registration, and you had to use the Coast Guard. Anyhow, rules vary and I wasn't sure exactly what you meant.

It's clear now, if someone has documented their vessel with the USCG, the renewal is no longer free, but cost $26.00.

Thanks for the information.

Chris Smith porter maine
04-09-2015, 04:04 PM
The Coast Guard is part of the Department of Homeland Security, not Defence.