PDA

View Full Version : Source For Cedar

LarryK
09-26-2000, 02:37 PM
I'm looking for a source for either White Cedar or Western Red for the planking for a Haven 12 1/2. I live in Florida. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Larry

LarryK
I'm looking for a source for either White Cedar or Western Red for the planking for a Haven 12 1/2. I live in Florida. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Larry

LarryK

Larry

landlocked sailor
09-26-2000, 04:24 PM
Tru J.D.England in Urbanna, VA. Rick

landlocked sailor

landlocked sailor

Paul
09-27-2000, 11:06 AM
I considered using Western Red Cedar for planking my Haven. In Greg Rossell's book, as well as a few others, WRC is not considered the ideal planking wood for anything other than small skiffs. I understand it has excellent rot resistant properties but it is also very weak and often will break right across the grain, or so the reading goes. Several forum members also recomended not using this as the planking material. I will try to get you a source for the cedar in NC.

Paul
I considered using Western Red Cedar for planking my Haven. In Greg Rossell's book, as well as a few others, WRC is not considered the ideal planking wood for anything other than small skiffs. I understand it has excellent rot resistant properties but it is also very weak and often will break right across the grain, or so the reading goes. Several forum members also recomended not using this as the planking material. I will try to get you a source for the cedar in NC.

Paul

Dale Harvey
09-27-2000, 04:47 PM
See if Prior Boatworks near you is still in bussiness. His Dad built some very fine boats in Juniper, and they may still know the source.

Dale Harvey
See if Prior Boatworks near you is still in bussiness. His Dad built some very fine boats in Juniper, and they may still know the source.

Dale Harvey

noquiklos
09-27-2000, 11:20 PM
Yeah that WRC is lousy stuff. My Blanchard is only 65 years old, so I'm sure I'll start having problems any day now.
But seriously, folks, WRC is not quite as strong as Northern white, but I know of 3 Havens built with the Red, up here in the Pacific Northwest. Oh, and Alcyone, a 65' schooner based in Port Townsend is planked with it, and just completed a Pacific circumnavigation with no reported problems. A lot of the commercial fishing boats are planked with it as well.
It's rot resistance is legendary, but be aware of the micoscopic splinters. They sting for a couple of days.
Roy

noquiklos
Yeah that WRC is lousy stuff. My Blanchard is only 65 years old, so I'm sure I'll start having problems any day now.
But seriously, folks, WRC is not quite as strong as Northern white, but I know of 3 Havens built with the Red, up here in the Pacific Northwest. Oh, and Alcyone, a 65' schooner based in Port Townsend is planked with it, and just completed a Pacific circumnavigation with no reported problems. A lot of the commercial fishing boats are planked with it as well.
It's rot resistance is legendary, but be aware of the micoscopic splinters. They sting for a couple of days.
Roy

noquiklos
Roy

nicholas_carey
09-28-2000, 07:53 PM
Your Blanchard may be 65, but the Western Red Cedar is probably the healthiest thing on the boat. Usually with the Blanchards, the frames go and you get problems in the sheerclamp in the way of the chainplates due to the inboard chain plates (Blanchard Seniors, anyway). But the Cedar hull is usually in pretty good shape. YMMV.

nicholas_carey
Your Blanchard may be 65, but the Western Red Cedar is probably the healthiest thing on the boat. Usually with the Blanchards, the frames go and you get problems in the sheerclamp in the way of the chainplates due to the inboard chain plates (Blanchard Seniors, anyway). But the Cedar hull is usually in pretty good shape. YMMV.

nicholas_carey

noquiklos
09-29-2000, 12:34 AM
As Ed McMahon would say, "You are correct, sir!" The frames had broken, many of them, in any case, but thankfully some previous owners apparently found epoxy laminated sisters a good repair, and in the 9 years I've owned her, (#5) have had no frame problems. Sheer clamp is fine, though the frame heads in the way of the chainplates are a little soft at the top inch or so. Easy fix, that. Yes, she's a Senior, and she was raced hard for the first 30 or so years of her life, and won several fleet championships into the late 50's. She's still fast, weatherly and fun, and embarasses some high dollar frozen snot on occasion, especially in light airs.
Not too bad for a low priced production boat. Her original price was $750, in 1935, and I doubt she was expected to last this long. Oh, and the last I heard, there are about 50 of the original 97 still sailing the Puget Sound, and around a dozen in the Great Lakes, as well as a couple sailing lakes in the western states. Also one in Florida, as of 5 years ago, which, according the BSKA secretary, who sold Frolic to us, was sailed there. Not something I'd want to try, but it takes all kinds.
Roy

noquiklos
As Ed McMahon would say, "You are correct, sir!" The frames had broken, many of them, in any case, but thankfully some previous owners apparently found epoxy laminated sisters a good repair, and in the 9 years I've owned her, (#5) have had no frame problems. Sheer clamp is fine, though the frame heads in the way of the chainplates are a little soft at the top inch or so. Easy fix, that. Yes, she's a Senior, and she was raced hard for the first 30 or so years of her life, and won several fleet championships into the late 50's. She's still fast, weatherly and fun, and embarasses some high dollar frozen snot on occasion, especially in light airs.
Not too bad for a low priced production boat. Her original price was $750, in 1935, and I doubt she was expected to last this long. Oh, and the last I heard, there are about 50 of the original 97 still sailing the Puget Sound, and around a dozen in the Great Lakes, as well as a couple sailing lakes in the western states. Also one in Florida, as of 5 years ago, which, according the BSKA secretary, who sold Frolic to us, was sailed there. Not something I'd want to try, but it takes all kinds.
Roy

noquiklos
Roy

SorrentoMoon
09-29-2000, 11:51 AM
Keep Looking for Atlantic White Cedar! One source near you is Anchor Hardwoods INC, 24B Station Rd, Wilmington, NC 28406 (910)-392-9888. My Dark Harbor 17 is 92 years old and her white cedar planking is still in great shape. It's the only component I'm not considering for replacement during her restoration. Good Luck!

SorrentoMoon
Keep Looking for Atlantic White Cedar! One source near you is Anchor Hardwoods INC, 24B Station Rd, Wilmington, NC 28406 (910)-392-9888. My Dark Harbor 17 is 92 years old and her white cedar planking is still in great shape. It's the only component I'm not considering for replacement during her restoration. Good Luck!

SorrentoMoon

Art Read
09-29-2000, 12:29 PM
SorrentoMoon... (Off topic) I think you replied to an earlier post of mine re: my Dark Harbor 12 project. I'd be interested in discussing your own restoration. Is there an e-mail I can reach you with? (aeriii@aol.com)

Art Read
SorrentoMoon... (Off topic) I think you replied to an earlier post of mine re: my Dark Harbor 12 project. I'd be interested in discussing your own restoration. Is there an e-mail I can reach you with? (aeriii@aol.com)

Art Read