X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomF
    Recalcitrant Heretic
    • Jun 2003

Bill Starr - RIP

Bill Starr, one of the grand old men of strength training, died last night. Starr's first love was Olympic weightlifting, but he was also a very fine competitive powerlifter, and a physique competitor.

Mostly, though, his legacy is as a strength coach. If you've ever done a strength program - probably for football - based on sets of 5s, Starr's to blame for your success. It would be hard to overstate his influence, whether directly, through his books and articles ("The Strongest Shall Survive" is a classic of the iron game) or through people (like Mark Rippetoe) who he influenced.

Good rest, Bill. Even Thor was beaten in the end when he wrestled Elli (personification of old age). Though he terrified the giants by throwing her off-balance first.

If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott
  • TomF
    Recalcitrant Heretic
    • Jun 2003

Re: Bill Starr - RIP

Interesting how forums are different, and we self-select, eh?

The other place I visit, where I learned of Starr's death, is a strength training site. The thread there's gone over 3 pages, but then everyone there has done a program based on Starr's work. And the guy who is Starr's most famous friend and protege (mark Rippetoe) has built the single most effective model of teaching the basic barbell lifts out there. His books have sold into the hundreds of thousands, and have been among the top Amazon sellers in their genre since first published, over a decade ago. Starr's cast a very big shadow, and is roundly celebrated and acknowledged.

Btw, that site is populated almost solely by folks of a very Libertarian bent, who, when not talking about squats or deadlift programs, or bourbon, roundly kick the shyte out of liberals.

But I digress. The death of Starr, over there, is like the death of Bolger was, over here. Yet in neither place does the other genius' passing draw attention.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• BrianW
      not your average member
      • Nov 2002

Originally posted by TomF
      Interesting how forums are different, and we self-select, eh?

The other place I visit, where I learned of Starr's death, is a strength training site. The thread there's gone over 3 pages, but then everyone there has done a program based on Starr's work. And the guy who is Starr's most famous friend and protege (mark Rippetoe) has built the single most effective model of teaching the basic barbell lifts out there. His books have sold into the hundreds of thousands, and have been among the top Amazon sellers in their genre since first published, over a decade ago. Starr's cast a very big shadow, and is roundly celebrated and acknowledged.

Btw, that site is populated almost solely by folks of a very Libertarian bent, who, when not talking about squats or deadlift programs, or bourbon, roundly kick the shyte out of liberals.

But I digress. The death of Starr, over there, is like the death of Bolger was, over here. Yet in neither place does the other genius' passing draw attention.
      You're right. I'm not familiar with him.

RIP Bill. You must have been a good man, because another good man is sharing your story with us.
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Comment

• Figment
        Gluten Enthusiast
        • Dec 2001

Oh, I'm familiar. 99% of my highschool weight workouts were (though I had no awareness of him at the time) of his doctrine.
        "5 sets of 5" is still a running-joke with one of my old hockey buddies who used to tag-along in the weight room.

I didn't really get into the RIP Bolger thread, either.
        People today will buy a car with square wheels as long as the steering wheel is heated.

Comment

Working...