PDA

View Full Version : Thought about people and lawns

Paul Pless
04-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Over the years I've come to perceive certain things.

One is, while I enjoy mowing a hay field, and the raking of it; I hate cutting our lawn. . .

WszystekPoTrochu
04-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Buy a sheep

CWSmith
04-07-2015, 06:58 PM
When I lived in DE it was all about the lawns.

Now I'm in NH and what I really admire is a good stone wall. I have 1 stone by the road that's the size of a VW and much heavier. Cool!

S.V. Airlie
04-07-2015, 07:12 PM
I thought Kat mowed the lawn and you mowed the field on your tractor!:)

C. Ross
04-07-2015, 08:14 PM
I've noticed that lawns are sometimes long, and sometimes short.
Because lawnmowers are dangerous, and built in China and not in a proper union shop in New Jersey or some other state, I don't like to use them.
But is it more dangerous to mow a short lawn more frequently, or a longer lawn less often?
When I was a kid, things were different.
I guess this means different people have different views about lawns and lawnmowers!
This just occurs to me, so I posted it.

TomF
04-07-2015, 08:19 PM
I heard a story once of a greenskeeper who retired somewhere warm. He pointedly ripped out the grass in his front yard, poured concrete, and painted it green.

C. Ross
04-07-2015, 08:28 PM
Buy a sheep

I hear that some people like cheese from sheep.

C. Ross
04-07-2015, 08:29 PM
When I lived in DE it was all about the lawns.

Now I'm in NH and what I really admire is a good stone wall. I have 1 stone by the road that's the size of a VW and much heavier. Cool!

I don't know what DE is.

C. Ross
04-07-2015, 08:30 PM
I thought Kat mowed the lawn and you mowed the field on your tractor!:)

People shouldn't let cats use lawnmowers! It's not safe.

Tom Montgomery
04-07-2015, 08:30 PM
I prefer a meadow to a lawn.

C. Ross
04-07-2015, 08:31 PM
An oldie but a goodie:

Oldie means you're ageist.

I think most Republicans are ageist.

Paul Pless
04-07-2015, 08:32 PM
But Donn is not a Republican. . .

Shang
04-07-2015, 08:32 PM
When I lived in upstate NY I assumed that our dairy goats would mow the lawn. Instead the goats looked at the grass and said, "Eww! It has bugs in it!" and ran back to the goat barn to eat the expensive goat-feed I provided them.

LeeG
04-07-2015, 08:33 PM
I heard a story once of a greenskeeper who retired somewhere warm. He pointedly ripped out the grass in his front yard, poured concrete, and painted it green.

Near my old neighborhood in Ca. The front yard was done in red and white rocks with a lawn mower in the middle on a pedastel chained down on four corners.

Tom Montgomery
04-07-2015, 08:37 PM
When I lived in upstate NY I assumed that our dairy goats would mow the lawn. Instead the goats looked at the grass and said, "Eww! It has bugs in it!" and ran back to the goat barn to eat the expensive goat-feed I provided them.
That is what happens when you give them a choice.

C. Ross
04-07-2015, 08:38 PM
But Donn is not a Republican. . .

I don't know what that means. In my old neighborhood people were Republicans or Democrats, men or women, Catholics or Protestants. Then Iearned this wasn't true. Most people don't seem to know this.

I remember the ball field near me where I grew up. It had grass.

People can mock me, but when grass grows in a ball field it isn't called a lawn.

Barry
04-07-2015, 08:40 PM
The Tyranny Of The Lawn
http://www.americanheritage.com/content/tyranny-lawn-0

C. Ross
04-07-2015, 08:40 PM

That might fool some people. Some people can't tell the difference between green concrete and grass until they get close to it.

I think this all changed under Reagan. He wasn't so great. Why do people think good thoughts about Reagan?

Tom Montgomery
04-07-2015, 08:41 PM
I'm telling you... go for meadows instead of lawns. They are easy care, indigenous landscapes. And who doesn't love wildflowers, butterflies, and birds?

C. Ross
04-07-2015, 08:43 PM
Diatomaceous Earth, the fossilized remains of diatoms.

A lot of Republicans don't believe in fossils. Like my brother in law. He's always sounding smart and drives a new car. But he doesn't know anything about fossils.

CWSmith
04-07-2015, 08:43 PM
I don't know what DE is.

Delaware - "Small Wonder". The locals called it "Small Blunder."

C. Ross
04-07-2015, 08:44 PM
I'm telling you... go for meadows instead of lawns. They are easy care, indigenous landscapes. And who doesn't love wildflowers, butterflies, and birds?

Gingrich changed that. There used to be more meadows when I was a kid.

hokiefan
04-07-2015, 08:50 PM

Where in upstate NY? I was born in Massena, NY quite a few moons ago.

And I do believe Mr. Ross is feeling it tonight...

Cheers,

Bobby

Tom Montgomery
04-07-2015, 08:58 PM
When it comes to lawns, I like other people's lawns.

I'm not into having my own. Why put so much effort, fertilizer, and water into a plant that does not feed you?

City parks rock. Why, you can even lie down and take a nap in my local park.

Paul Pless
04-07-2015, 09:14 PM
a couple of years ago, on my commute from alabama to hell and back my truck broke down during rush hour in downtown louisville
fortunately i was able to coast off of I65 without getting stuck and further exacerbating louisville's phenomenal downtown interstate traffic issues where 65 meets 71
while it was being repaired my dog and i napped at the louisville waterfront park under the bulleit bourbon billboard
pretty sure i sent you a pm :D

L.W. Baxter
04-07-2015, 09:27 PM
Mr. Ross, if you can keep it up for 20,000 more posts, your legacy will be secure.

C. Ross
04-07-2015, 09:32 PM
Mr. Ross, if you can keep it up for 20,000 more posts, your legacy will be secure.

I should refrain from posting from airports.

But it's good to know all my hard work ain't been in vain for nothin'.

Rich Jones
04-07-2015, 09:39 PM
I'm telling you... go for meadows instead of lawns. They are easy care, indigenous landscapes. And who doesn't love wildflowers, butterflies, and birds?Here in the boonies of Vermont, I've got a lawn about 1/2 of an acre in size that is easily mowed with the lawn tractor. It a no fuss lawn, a mixture of grass and clover that I don't stress over. Last summer, I had an acre of land cleared for a meadow. I'd taken all the trees for firewood over the years and it was all stumps and bush. Once cleared, I planted it as a meadow. Anxious this year to see how it all turns out. Looking forward to the wildflowers, butterflies and birds.

Memphis Mike
04-07-2015, 09:48 PM
Over the years I've come to perceive certain things.

One is, while I enjoy mowing a hay field, and the raking of it; I hate cutting our lawn. . .

What do you do all day anyhow? Git yore a$$ out there and cut that grass boy!

Jimmy W
04-07-2015, 09:49 PM
There are two empty houses just down the highway from me. They are not for sale, but I suspect the owner is hoping to someday sell them as commercial property. The last two years they have had both yards sprayed with Roundup. They haven't been sprayed yet this year.

CK 17
04-07-2015, 10:22 PM
Every year our mowable amount of lawn shrinks and our cedar mulch beds grow. I think I can mow and trim in 30 minutes now.

WszystekPoTrochu
04-08-2015, 02:12 AM
I hear that some people like cheese from sheep.

Sheep milk cheese is good. Much better than goat milk for sure.

Paul Pless
04-08-2015, 04:43 AM
I'm telling you... go for meadows instead of lawns. mountain meadows?

skuthorp
04-08-2015, 04:51 AM
No lawns here, trees, wildflowers, terrestrial orchids and grasses where there isn't bush and trees. We do mow the boundaries in summer, bushfire mitigation.

TomF
04-08-2015, 05:35 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/donnwest/misc/lawn-web.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/donnwest/media/misc/lawn-web.jpg.html)Walking frontwards (applying Roundup) or backwards (high nitrogen fertilizer)? :D

PeterSibley
04-08-2015, 05:42 AM
Walking frontwards (applying Roundup) or backwards (high nitrogen fertilizer)? :D

Green dye !

Lawns are deserts .

LeeG
04-08-2015, 08:48 AM
I read somewhere that lawns are an affectation of the English manor shrunk down for the home buyer. Every house I had had 1/2 the lawn by the time I sold it.

LeeG
04-08-2015, 08:55 AM
Here it is, Retired Lawn

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/ca/CASRAretiredlawn_pasquini.jpg

Norman Bernstein
04-08-2015, 09:00 AM
When our house was built, in 1977, the builder put in a 'lawn'... as is typical, with a bare minimum of topsoil. I looked excellent for maybe 5 years, and I actually enjoyed caring for it... it was even, green, and comfortable to walk on with bare feet, despite the fact that it's just a small lawn, and my home is in the middle of a pine forest where the lawn gets relatively little sunlight.

Over the years, the lousy preparation before seeding, and the minimal sunlight, became evident... more and more, the lawn was invaded by moss, failed to thrive, and turned fairly ugly. Today, it's hardly a lawn at all.... from a distance, it's green, but it's mostly crabgrass and moss, and the tree roots have made mowing it a potential hazard.

However, as I took up sailing as my summer passion, I cared less and less about it.... would cut it when necessary for a bunch of years, and now, I pay a guy to come cut it... because we're never there, in the summer, we're always on the boat.

No particular lesson to be learned here, other than the eternal truth that one's interests change as they get older :)

Paul Pless
04-08-2015, 09:04 AM
moss 'lawns' are pretty cool

Canoez
04-08-2015, 09:11 AM
~I fought the lawn, and the lawn won!~

Norman Bernstein
04-08-2015, 09:11 AM
moss 'lawns' are pretty cool

If it were ALL moss, I might agree... but it ain't.

Ian McColgin
04-08-2015, 09:18 AM
I hate the way that the American lawn fetish has led to water waste, non-point sourse pollution, failure of groundwater recharge, and the slaughter of bees and other valuable parts of our ecosystems. Golf courses are even worse.

Norman Bernstein
04-08-2015, 09:25 AM
I hate the way that the American lawn fetish has led to water waste, non-point sourse pollution, failure of groundwater recharge, and the slaughter of bees and other valuable parts of our ecosystems. Golf courses are even worse.

You'd be proud of me, Ian.... my lawn hasn't seen a fertilizer, chemical, or even water (other than rain) in 25 years.. probably that's why it looks so awful :)

JimD
04-08-2015, 09:27 AM
We have far more grass than I want. Water is scarce in the summer and we need it for the veggies. The grass should go, at least most of it. Stupid waste of resources.

Sailor
04-08-2015, 09:32 AM
My brother used to mix urin (his own) and water then he'd pour it over his lawn. He didn't spend time pulling weeds but had the nicest lawn on the street. The neighbours all wondered who maintained it for him. When they told him it was them, they asked if he'd tend theirs. Clearly he said no. He didn't give up his secret either. Plenty of nitrogen in that concoction of his and the grass was really nice.
Permaculture is what we're all talking about here I think. Something to think about anyway.

Dave Hadfield
04-08-2015, 09:45 AM
No human being has ever owned a lawn.

It's entirely the other way around.

Dave

Canoez
04-08-2015, 10:16 AM
If it were ALL moss, I might agree... but it ain't.

You can encourage moss growth if you want it to cover over. You've got the shade. The right acidity and a moisture retaining base helps. Then take some existing moss, put it in the blender with water and spread over the area that you want to grow moss in.

Breakaway
04-08-2015, 10:36 AM
The best lawn commentary comes from a great film, 29th Street: A NY Fairy Tale, starring Danny Aiello. It chronicles a family in Queens in 1967, but one recurring gag/ subtheme is Aiello's obsession with his "lawn." ( They live in an attached house and the "lawn" measures maybe 3 x 5 feet!)

I could not find just the clip, but the entire movie is on You Tube. One of the funniest of several "lawn" scenes comes at 41:10. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjPJKinEriU

Kevin ( Live from Lawn Guy Land)

Kevin

John of Phoenix
04-08-2015, 11:05 AM
When I lived in Louisiana the house was on a half acre lawn. It grew so fast that by the time I finished mowing the back, it was time to start on the front again. It was like living in a jungle.

Here in Phoenix, we have an acre of desert landscaping. A dozen huge eucalyptus trees for shade, oleander hedges for privacy, 20 some palm trees, about 50 various cacti, about a hundred yucca and a half dozen citrus and mesquite trees. Any grass that pops up is taken care of by the cottontails that live in the hedges.

WszystekPoTrochu
04-08-2015, 11:15 AM
I'd like to have Your problems, my garden gets reclaimed by steppe vegetation within months of sowing "extra dry land" grass

RichKrough
04-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Buy a sheep

Since Goose is singular and Geese is plural, shouldn't sheep singular be "shoop"?

WszystekPoTrochu
04-08-2015, 11:36 AM
shoop da whoop

switters
04-08-2015, 11:44 AM
No human being has ever owned a lawn.

It's entirely the other way around.

Dave

The reason I will continue to live in a condo or townhome. Had half an acre of suburban paradise for 12 years, cant even imagine how many hours spent mowing, fixing mowers, going to get gas because a teenager had taken the last of it for his scooter, adding string to the trimmer, installing sprinklers fixing fence, planting, weeding. Ugh. I do drive by every once in a while to look at all of the trees and shrubs I planted back then, those make me smile.

Peerie Maa
04-08-2015, 12:55 PM
One of the best lawn mowers I ever saw was a chicken wire cylinder, strong enough to roll about the laws.
With a half dozen guinea pigs inside.

Sailor
04-08-2015, 01:23 PM
COuld one make a chicken wire roller like that big enough for sheep I wonder? :D

TomF
04-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Since Goose is singular and Geese is plural, shouldn't sheep singular be "shoop"?Yes. By all that is holy, yes! :D

TomF
04-08-2015, 01:27 PM
IIRC, Eliot Coleman recommends 20 chickens and 2-4 sheep to the acre.

John of Phoenix
04-08-2015, 03:43 PM
Amazon now rents goats (not available in all locations).

http://www.newsweek.com/meet-goats-amazons-new-goat-rental-service-319532

skuthorp
04-08-2015, 03:48 PM
I read somewhere that lawns are an affectation of the English manor shrunk down for the home buyer. Every house I had had 1/2 the lawn by the time I sold it.
Blame Capability Brown.

Shang
04-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Where in upstate NY? I was born in Massena, NY quite a few moons ago.

And I do believe Mr. Ross is feeling it tonight...

Cheers,

Bobby

Did I ever get back to you?...can't remember. I lived in Labrador Valley, near the town of Truxton, about 40 miles south of Syracuse.
Land of the White Death.