PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a banner stating 'Mission Accomplished'? :)

Norman Bernstein
03-24-2015, 03:16 PM
Has the electorate gotten so dumb, that it needs phony staging like this?

WASHINGTON -- A picture is worth a thousand words. In the case of Sen. Rand Paul, perhaps even more.

When the Kentucky Republican makes one of the first stops in his official run (http://southcarolinaforrandpaul.com/) for the presidency in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, next month, he will do so with his back to thousands of tons of American steel made to bear some of the deadliest weaponry on the planet -- the U.S.S. Yorktown. The decommissioned aircraft carrier now functions as a floating museum, but participated in South Pacific operations during World War II.

The optics of a libertarian-leaning senator, known for his reluctance to intervene overseas, arguing his fitness to be commander-in-chief in front of an instrument of war aren't an accident. The move is likely meant to toughen up Paul's image in a GOP primary field dominated by foreign policy hawks who already have their knives out for him.

Can't have any of that Libertarian non-interventionism, can we? :)

CWSmith
03-24-2015, 03:22 PM
I vividly remember a Republican friend complaining about the Primary process. He felt the party should be able to nominate their person with less public declarations of what each person was standing for.

The point was that a moderate conservative could not get nominated and a far-right conservative could not get elected. He wanted a stealth candidate who looked like one, but was really the other.

Clearly, Paul needs to look like different things while his base is confident they know the truth of the man.

S.V. Airlie
03-24-2015, 03:48 PM
Paul obviously think GW's idea was pretty good!

RonW
03-24-2015, 03:54 PM
Absolutely worthless thread, I guess the left is just scared to death and want to create static over nothing. Panic has set in after the butt whipping of last novemer..

S.V. Airlie
03-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Not really!

bobbys
03-24-2015, 04:00 PM
Norm never got over Bush and that banner.

The idea of winning anything to a lib drives them crazy.

Jim Bow
03-24-2015, 04:05 PM
Speaking from the deck of a decommissioned museum ship, that anyone can hire, doesn't say CinC to me. I'll cringe if he wears a leather flight jacket.

S.V. Airlie
03-24-2015, 04:06 PM
No, I think Norman thinks it's funny after many people laughed at GW for his comments and the ships' flag waving background. Most here know, except a few exceptions, how that turned out for Bush.

Norman Bernstein
03-24-2015, 04:14 PM
No, I think Norman thinks it's funny after many people laughed at GW for his comments and the ships' flag waving background. Most here know, except a few exceptions, how that turned out for Bush.

Actually, the funny part is how Rand Paul's Libertarianism has become rather 'malleable', when it comes to trying to bend his libertarian non-interventionist philosophy towards something that the war hawks might like.

switters
03-24-2015, 04:19 PM
“The last American soldier[s] will cross the border out of Iraq with their heads held high, proud of their success, and knowing that the American people stand united in our support for our troops,” the president continued, adding “That is how America’s military efforts in Iraq will end.”

He said this Iraq withdrawal was only the beginning. “The end of war in Iraq reflects a larger transition,” Obama intoned. “The tide of war is receding. Now, even as we remove our last troops from Iraq, we’re beginning to bring our troops home from Afghanistan. The long war in Iraq will come to an end by the end of this year. The transition in Afghanistan is moving forward, and our troops are finally coming home.”

Pres. Obama -2011

He has evolved a bit since then, in fact he has evolved yet again today, on Afghanistan.

S.V. Airlie
03-24-2015, 04:51 PM
Actually, the funny part is how Rand Paul's Libertarianism has become rather 'malleable', when it comes to trying to bend his libertarian non-interventionist philosophy towards something that the war hawks might like.That's true as well.