PDA

View Full Version : Things we take for granted

John Smith
03-22-2015, 02:48 PM
Out today I saw a crew apparently changing the light in a traffic light, and I realize how rare that is. Traffic lights seem to work reliably for an awfully long time.

I think many things in our lives work very well for long periods of time and we just sort of don't think much about them.

ron ll
03-22-2015, 05:10 PM
Most of the ones around here have been changed to LEDs. Now when you see an occasional incandescent, it looks pale by comparison.

John Smith
03-22-2015, 05:41 PM
I guess same is true here. I'm just thinking that I rarely see one not work. Street lights, too seem to rarely go out.

I think we take our tires for granted. Aside from the potholes we often fail to avoid, the highway driving must be some strain on them.

I think there's a lot of stuff we kind of take for granted; so reliable we give it little thought.

S.V. Airlie
03-22-2015, 05:43 PM
I think the one light here was fixed, played with once since I was old enough to crawl

Jim Bow
03-23-2015, 12:00 AM
Back in the incandescent days, Seattle DOT changed traffic signal bulbs according to a schedule. Bulbs were replaced with new ones, and the old bu'bs were then ised elsewhere in the city for non emergency purposes.
My brother's landlord was on the crew. He always seemed to have a stockpile in hos garage.

Nicholas Scheuer
03-23-2015, 02:28 AM
Manhole covers and curbside street drains; they're cast grey or ductile iron, yet last forever in spite of all the salt we scatter on the streets in winter.

skuthorp
03-23-2015, 02:34 AM
These things are part of what government supplies and maintains, the fabric of the society in which we live our lives. The fabric of the society in which the Ron's of this world live their lives, complaining about 'big government' all the way.

BrianW
03-23-2015, 04:04 AM
Good stuff (minus the unneeded attack on other members)!

How about GPS, Sat Phones, Cell Phones?

A-10 Warthogs? ;)

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
03-23-2015, 05:52 AM
Ours are changing to LED arrays - partial fails give all sorts of strange looking results.