PDA

View Full Version : Sitting in the departure lounge

epoxyboy
03-21-2015, 05:08 PM
Of Christchurch international airport. I bounce through Singapore about eleven hours from now, on the way to Jakarta. It's gonna be a long day, especially if there are crying babies in the row in front. The noise cancelling headphones I have do a reasonable job of dealing with the rumble, but babies cut right through the technology!
The indonesian currency is ridiculously worthless. NZ$200 lunch money turned into a wad of bills that wont even fit in my wallet - 1.5 million Rupiah, and US$35 for the visa on arrival.
Time to pack up, boarding soon.

Pete

seanz
03-21-2015, 05:30 PM
Have fun.
:)

The Bigfella
03-21-2015, 08:46 PM
Enjoy. Rupiah go a long way if you spend them in the right places.

... and if you want to see a real roll of money... try ten million Rupiah in one roll. Its near 2" diameter.

epoxyboy
03-24-2015, 06:43 AM
I had a fun fourteen hour workday in Jakarta yesterday, but got a good result for our customer so feeling good about that.
Heading back to the hotel around 10pm the traffic was epic - three marked lanes, five actual lanes of vehicles, and thousands of small scooters and bikes swarming (and that is the right word) through every gap in the traffic.
I still cant believe we didnt see a single accident.
Turns out I managed to leave a million rupiah behind in the hotel room, a bit over NZ$100, so nothing that is going to break the bank. It is going to be an all round PITA to try and get it back, so I'm thinking I'll make somebodiy's day, and tell them to let whoever found it have it.

Today started with a two hour drive across Jakarta (yay, I survived), then a flight up to Pekanbaru on Sumatra, followed by a three hour drive (127km) to Duri.
God give me strength (yay I survived!), the only thing that works in your favour is that the road is so bad that top speed is about 60km/hr, and everybody expects sudden lane changes while passing on blind corners going uphill when something comes the other way.
The traffic is constant the whole way, and about a 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 mix of trucks, bikes and cars. If the trucks get a flat, which seemed pretty common, they just stop right then and there to fix it. The road is pretty narrow an winds over rolling hills, so a trucked stopped on the road generates a bit of chaos for everybody but the scooters.

Time to go get a feed with the local rep - she has been upping the chilli over the last two days, and tonight we are off to the local open air market - I've been told the fried chicken is very good. Talk about ring of fire material!

Pete

JimD
03-24-2015, 06:49 AM
I did Sumatra, Java, and Bali in 1982. Still have my souvenir Indonesian motorcycle license. Had a lot more hair then.

Paul Pless
03-24-2015, 06:57 AM
phew! when i read the thread title i thought you had given up and moved to florida. . .

The Bigfella
03-24-2015, 08:14 AM
Its great to hear that you are allowed out of the compound. I love Sumatra.

epoxyboy
03-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Its great to hear that you are allowed out of the compound. I love Sumatra.
Ha, no compound for mere suppliers to one of Chevron's prime contractors, we get to stay in the middle of town at The Grande Zuri, Duri. It aint so grand, but is clean and the bed is comfy. Step out the door, and it is the real deal - unlike the compound which is extremely sanitised, and not Indonesia.
Another 14 hour day, on the system controlling the 700hp motor on a 1000psi water reinjection pump on the oil field here. Sounds like a jet spooling up when you hit the Go button :D.
Anyway, our bit is all up and running, just need to go back to sign off tommorrow.
The people here are great - friendly, helpful, and go the extra mile. Makes my job so much easier.
The food isnt too bad either, though you would struggle if you didnt like chilli and rice - with everything.

Pete

Iceboy
03-26-2015, 10:28 AM
I made the mistake of exchanging $500 US in Argentina in the early 80's. I had to have a separate bag for the cash.
Of Christchurch international airport. I bounce through Singapore about eleven hours from now, on the way to Jakarta. It's gonna be a long day, especially if there are crying babies in the row in front. The noise cancelling headphones I have do a reasonable job of dealing with the rumble, but babies cut right through the technology!
The indonesian currency is ridiculously worthless. NZ$200 lunch money turned into a wad of bills that wont even fit in my wallet - 1.5 million Rupiah, and US$35 for the visa on arrival.
Time to pack up, boarding soon.

Pete

epoxyboy
03-27-2015, 07:52 PM
On the way home ��. Our "sign off" on site turned into twelve hours of waiting around, while the Chevron team resolved all sorts of other problems. Everything from bad PLC logic to a dry bearing in the motor we are controlling - pretty standard for a new installation, but always frustrating if your bit is all good to go.
We finally hit the road about 8.45pm, only to be confronted with an unbroken tailback of trucks on the Duri - Pekanbaru road due to an accident.
Our driver went to plan B, which involves going down the wrong side of the road, weaving in between oncoming traffic, people on scooters, and any other obstacles. After a couple of km of this, plan C was put into action. The export pipline is set back from the main road several hundred metres, and has its own clay service road which is borderline 4WD material in places. After about ten km of this, we popped out onto the main road, which was still bumper to bumper trucks going nowhere fast - back to plan B.
Five hours for 130km and a 2am hotel check in, followed with a 5:30am wake up call for the flight back to Jakarta and on to Singapore. I love my job.
My night in Singapore consisted of trying not to fall asleep while eating dinner. After a couple of beers, the whole no sleep/long days/residual jet lag thing was starting to take its toll, and it was time to lie down before falling down.

Sleep. Ahhhhhhhhh.......

Time to find some breakfast, and do a river cruise or something - anything that doesn't require too much in the way of cognitive skills, which are a bit lacking right now. All I have to achieve today is getting to the airport by 5pm for the flight home this evening.
I'd like to bring SWMBO here too, and don't want to ruin that experience by exploring too much.

Pete