PDA

View Full Version : boat damaged in transit. Need help

mike kelly
01-13-2001, 11:09 PM
I recently purchased a 1960 H-28 in rhode island and had it delivered to new orleans by a trucking company that hauls boats.The boat was improperly loaded and as a result was damaged (the keel wasnt fully surported only on the wooden part aft of the keel weight.of course keel broke,boat dropped,pads forced into hull,etc) I've been having much trouble being compansated for my losses from all sides(trucking companyand thier insurer and mine as well).
I was wondering if anybody has had a similair experiece or could offer any advise.
This is my first boat and people say i'm crazy for buying a wooden one,well frankly I don't like plastic and plan to fix this one.Any help is greatly aprecieated
mike

mike kelly
I recently purchased a 1960 H-28 in rhode island and had it delivered to new orleans by a trucking company that hauls boats.The boat was improperly loaded and as a result was damaged (the keel wasnt fully surported only on the wooden part aft of the keel weight.of course keel broke,boat dropped,pads forced into hull,etc) I've been having much trouble being compansated for my losses from all sides(trucking companyand thier insurer and mine as well).
I was wondering if anybody has had a similair experiece or could offer any advise.
This is my first boat and people say i'm crazy for buying a wooden one,well frankly I don't like plastic and plan to fix this one.Any help is greatly aprecieated
mike

mike kelly
mike

Bayboat
01-14-2001, 12:32 AM
That's a sad story. I hope the legal-eagles on this forum will rise to the occasion. In the meantime, just for starters: I hope you took lots of photographs of the damage before the boat was off-loaded. If you haven't done so yet, have a local boatyard owner make an estimate of the cost of repairs. Take the photos and the estimate to your friendly attorney. It will be hard to win without one.

[This message has been edited by Bayboat (edited 01-14-2001).]

Bayboat
That's a sad story. I hope the legal-eagles on this forum will rise to the occasion. In the meantime, just for starters: I hope you took lots of photographs of the damage before the boat was off-loaded. If you haven't done so yet, have a local boatyard owner make an estimate of the cost of repairs. Take the photos and the estimate to your friendly attorney. It will be hard to win without one.

Bayboat

mike kelly
01-14-2001, 11:03 AM
I've covered all my bases.took lots of pictures. From every angle.also have a survey previous to hauling,and had two independent surveys after.All in my favor.If the value of the boat was higher i wounldn't have as much as a problem(12000) so it didnt't take much to total it. thanks for getting back

mike kelly
I've covered all my bases.took lots of pictures. From every angle.also have a survey previous to hauling,and had two independent surveys after.All in my favor.If the value of the boat was higher i wounldn't have as much as a problem(12000) so it didnt't take much to total it. thanks for getting back

mike kelly

Alisa
01-14-2001, 11:33 AM
FYI - 20/20 hindsight now but this might help anyone else considering transporting any boat. We recently had our 1962 wooden ketch hauled from Florida to Anancortes WA without incident (thanks to Joule Yacht Transport of FLA).

As a precaution we had a surveyor do a comprehensive survey, complete with pictures, the day before the boat was loaded. I also took video of the loading & blocking process for future reference.

The independent survey would certainly have helped if any damage was done to the boat during transport as it determines condition of the boat just prior to transit. Well worth the bucks!

Good luck with your new project.
Alisa

Alisa
FYI - 20/20 hindsight now but this might help anyone else considering transporting any boat. We recently had our 1962 wooden ketch hauled from Florida to Anancortes WA without incident (thanks to Joule Yacht Transport of FLA).

As a precaution we had a surveyor do a comprehensive survey, complete with pictures, the day before the boat was loaded. I also took video of the loading & blocking process for future reference.

The independent survey would certainly have helped if any damage was done to the boat during transport as it determines condition of the boat just prior to transit. Well worth the bucks!

Alisa

Alisa

Alisa

Ed Harrow
01-22-2001, 11:42 AM
Mike, any news?

Ed Harrow
Mike, any news?

Ed Harrow
Mike, any news?

mike kelly
01-31-2001, 10:10 PM
thanks for asking Ed. there is progress.I've made the claim though my insurance and got some money out of that,didn't quite recoup my losses. Anyways I plan to start the repairs at the end of feb. Have to replace the deadwood,three ext. planks and three int.and eight frames.I looked for boat carpenders seem to be pretty scrace down here.I do have some help line up though.I,m excited to get started

mike kelly
thanks for asking Ed. there is progress.I've made the claim though my insurance and got some money out of that,didn't quite recoup my losses. Anyways I plan to start the repairs at the end of feb. Have to replace the deadwood,three ext. planks and three int.and eight frames.I looked for boat carpenders seem to be pretty scrace down here.I do have some help line up though.I,m excited to get started

mike kelly

Chuck St John
02-06-2001, 10:37 PM
Very sorry to hear your troubles, but wish to offer some encouragement. I have an H-28 and it is a great little sailboat, worth the effort to fix it. The Mystic Seaport museum has the plans and will sent them to you for a fee, and the set they sent me was most helpfull in the repairs I needed to make. Use good wood and the best fasteners you can find, but be carefull to find out how yours is fastened now and donít mix stainless, galvanized or bronze. Mine was all iron fastened and had to find some good hot dipped galvanized to keep metals the same.
And she sails very well. Let us know you you do with the repairs, and my wishes are with you be able to raise your sails soon.

Chuck in Sausalito

Chuck St John
Very sorry to hear your troubles, but wish to offer some encouragement. I have an H-28 and it is a great little sailboat, worth the effort to fix it. The Mystic Seaport museum has the plans and will sent them to you for a fee, and the set they sent me was most helpfull in the repairs I needed to make. Use good wood and the best fasteners you can find, but be carefull to find out how yours is fastened now and donít mix stainless, galvanized or bronze. Mine was all iron fastened and had to find some good hot dipped galvanized to keep metals the same.
And she sails very well. Let us know you you do with the repairs, and my wishes are with you be able to raise your sails soon.

Chuck in Sausalito

Chuck St John

Chuck in Sausalito

ken mcclure
02-27-2001, 10:27 AM
Oh man. Makes me glad I didn't ship the boat I was considering from Washington State to the Chesapeake.

Surf over to the WoodenBoat bookstore and order up a copy of "Sensible Cruising Designs" by L.F. Herreshoff. Much of what you need to know about her construction is in there. I read it about every 6 months and agonize over whether to start an H-28, a Neria ketch or a Mobjack..........

ken mcclure
Oh man. Makes me glad I didn't ship the boat I was considering from Washington State to the Chesapeake.

Surf over to the WoodenBoat bookstore and order up a copy of "Sensible Cruising Designs" by L.F. Herreshoff. Much of what you need to know about her construction is in there. I read it about every 6 months and agonize over whether to start an H-28, a Neria ketch or a Mobjack..........

ken mcclure