PDA

View Full Version : SF Forty Niners Chris Borland announces retirement

Paul Pless
03-17-2015, 01:10 PM
After his outstanding rookie season at age 24!
reason given concerns over safety and concussion issues. . .

Norman Bernstein
03-17-2015, 01:14 PM
He might be smarter than the average bear, and feels that his future looks more promising with a fully functional brain, not addled by repetitive concussions.

On the other hand, he may also think that he might not have the right stuff for a long career. I'm not familiar with his record, but there are plenty of young sensational rookie athletes who flame out very early... perhaps he thinks he might have been one of them.
]

TomF
03-17-2015, 01:14 PM
Some professional athletes end up with more money than brains. Borland wants the reverse.

Good for him, says I.

Figment
03-17-2015, 01:17 PM
....and plenty of retired pro football players made piles of money only to have to spend it on a lifetime of medical care.

I think this guy got himself to the top level of the game, took a look around, took a look down the road, and realized he's one of the lucky few who could make a good life for himself beyond football.

A courageous choice which shows a LOT more maturity than I had at that age.

Jim Bow
03-17-2015, 01:21 PM
I think he got a cool million when he signed. That makes him a 24 year old with a nice nest egg and good health.

Paul Pless
03-17-2015, 01:22 PM
....and plenty of retired pro football players made piles of money only to have to spend it on a lifetime of medical care.

I think this guy got himself to the top level of the game, took a look around, took a look down the road, and realized he's one of the lucky few who could make a good life for himself beyond football.

A courageous choice which shows a LOT more maturity than I had at that age.apparently he started questioning himself in his rookie year training camp when he took a hit to the helmet that shook him up, but he felt to make the team he needed to play through it; he thinks since eighth grade he's suffered three noteworthy concussions - one while playing soccer

Paul Pless
03-17-2015, 01:23 PM
I think he got a cool million when he signed. That makes him a 24 year old with a nice nest egg and good health.Looks like he's been invited back to Wisconsin as an assistant already

Figment
03-17-2015, 01:30 PM
.... he thinks since eighth grade he's suffered three noteworthy concussions - one while playing soccer

In other words; he's ahead of the curve and would like to stay that way.