PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Fired Hot Water Tank

ron ll
03-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Need to add a hot water system to the boat for galley and occasional showers. Had been planning on the Bosch on-demand propane unit, but it has insurance problems. Saw an ad for a diesel fired tank by ITR (www.itrheat.com). This is a 5.5 gal tank that is switchable between 110v or diesel. It is said to have shower-ready water in 4 or 5 minutes and can continuously provide a 52 degree heat rise at 1.5 gpm under diesel power. I like having the 110v for use at the dock, whereas the Bosch would use propane at the dock and would probably be out everytime you want to go cruising.

Anybody have any experience with these?

ron ll
Need to add a hot water system to the boat for galley and occasional showers. Had been planning on the Bosch on-demand propane unit, but it has insurance problems. Saw an ad for a diesel fired tank by ITR (www.itrheat.com). This is a 5.5 gal tank that is switchable between 110v or diesel. It is said to have shower-ready water in 4 or 5 minutes and can continuously provide a 52 degree heat rise at 1.5 gpm under diesel power. I like having the 110v for use at the dock, whereas the Bosch would use propane at the dock and would probably be out everytime you want to go cruising.

ron ll

Gary E
03-15-2006, 01:37 PM
I know several people with those small hot water tanks... at best they are sorta ok for ONE notsohot shower in warm weather, and that is a verrrrry short notsohot wetting of your skinny bod. If your more than skinny, fugidabout them. If your in colder than hot summer weather, forgitit.

Try measuring how much you use at home, and see if you like being deprived, or cold.

Gary E
I know several people with those small hot water tanks... at best they are sorta ok for ONE notsohot shower in warm weather, and that is a verrrrry short notsohot wetting of your skinny bod. If your more than skinny, fugidabout them. If your in colder than hot summer weather, forgitit.

Try measuring how much you use at home, and see if you like being deprived, or cold.

Gary E

Peter Malcolm Jardine
03-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Why not an electric/engine water one Ron? I have an old one aboard that I put extra insulation around, and it's surprising how long it keeps warm. No flames either. ;)

Peter Malcolm Jardine
Why not an electric/engine water one Ron? I have an old one aboard that I put extra insulation around, and it's surprising how long it keeps warm. No flames either. ;)

Peter Malcolm Jardine

Gresham CA
03-15-2006, 03:00 PM
I agree with Peter and it gets a LOT hotter than 120 degrees when heated by your engine.

Gresham CA
I agree with Peter and it gets a LOT hotter than 120 degrees when heated by your engine.

Gresham CA

ron ll
03-15-2006, 03:32 PM
This is not just a 5.5 gallon storage tank, but a continuous on-demand heater. In other words, once it is heated up (4-5 minutes) it then provides continuous hot water while in use. The reason I don't like the engine heat exchanger systems, is that quite often we want a shower the next morning at anchor, or will anchor 2 or 3 days. The engine heated water is only good for a few hours after you drop the anchor.

ron ll
This is not just a 5.5 gallon storage tank, but a continuous on-demand heater. In other words, once it is heated up (4-5 minutes) it then provides continuous hot water while in use. The reason I don't like the engine heat exchanger systems, is that quite often we want a shower the next morning at anchor, or will anchor 2 or 3 days. The engine heated water is only good for a few hours after you drop the anchor.

ron ll

Don Z.
03-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Ron, I've got to tell you, the heater I have keeps water hot for about a week or so... 110 volt at the dock, or via engine heat when cruising...

Don Z.
Ron, I've got to tell you, the heater I have keeps water hot for about a week or so... 110 volt at the dock, or via engine heat when cruising...

Don Z.

ron ll
03-15-2006, 07:17 PM
C'mon, yer pullin my leg. It really keeps water hot for a week?! Tell me what it is. I've got lots of room to wrap it with a lot of insulation, but still, a week? If that's true, its a no-brainer (which I'm usually good at.) smile.gif

But here's another glitch. After you shut down, then every time you draw hot water off, say to do dishes, you replace it with cold water further diluting it, yeah? If I can have a warm shower on the third morning after I've anchored, without starting the engine, I would be happy. Can it be done?

ron ll
C'mon, yer pullin my leg. It really keeps water hot for a week?! Tell me what it is. I've got lots of room to wrap it with a lot of insulation, but still, a week? If that's true, its a no-brainer (which I'm usually good at.) smile.gif

But here's another glitch. After you shut down, then every time you draw hot water off, say to do dishes, you replace it with cold water further diluting it, yeah? If I can have a warm shower on the third morning after I've anchored, without starting the engine, I would be happy. Can it be done?

ron ll

JimConlin
03-15-2006, 07:46 PM
I recollect that there are propane-fuelled MARINE on-demand water heaters. Whan water starts to flow, they fire up and heat it as it passes. For those without a few hundred pounds of hot diesel-fuelled ahrn in the bilge, they sounded like an alternative. I have no direct experience with these things.

JimConlin
I recollect that there are propane-fuelled MARINE on-demand water heaters. Whan water starts to flow, they fire up and heat it as it passes. For those without a few hundred pounds of hot diesel-fuelled ahrn in the bilge, they sounded like an alternative. I have no direct experience with these things.

JimConlin

ron ll
03-15-2006, 07:52 PM
That's the Bosch unit I was originally considering. (Used to be Paloma). But they can cause problems with insurance, not because they are dangerous, but because the rules consider them an unattended open-flame device.

ron ll
That's the Bosch unit I was originally considering. (Used to be Paloma). But they can cause problems with insurance, not because they are dangerous, but because the rules consider them an unattended open-flame device.

ron ll

Don Z.
03-15-2006, 08:34 PM
The unit I have is an Isotemp, by indelmarine ( Heater (http://www.indelmarine.com/) ). I can't speak about showers, but I can speak to the galley, and this past summer, we had hot water for about 6 days at a time. YMMV. I can also tell you that system specs say that it looses .3 degrees centigrade per hour. Also, when hooked to shore power, it heats the tank to about 70 degrees C. It then uses a mixing valve to mix the water going to the tap to whatever temp you like, so while I would assume that your're right, you're adding in cold water, it's not a 1 for 1 hit. It's a 22 litre tank, so from a shower perspective, it may not work they way you want... Is it perfect? Not sure. I know their tech rep was very helpful at the show in Newport this year. It came with the boat, and I've been impressed with its performance so far.

Don Z.
The unit I have is an Isotemp, by indelmarine ( Heater (http://www.indelmarine.com/) ). I can't speak about showers, but I can speak to the galley, and this past summer, we had hot water for about 6 days at a time. YMMV. I can also tell you that system specs say that it looses .3 degrees centigrade per hour. Also, when hooked to shore power, it heats the tank to about 70 degrees C. It then uses a mixing valve to mix the water going to the tap to whatever temp you like, so while I would assume that your're right, you're adding in cold water, it's not a 1 for 1 hit. It's a 22 litre tank, so from a shower perspective, it may not work they way you want... Is it perfect? Not sure. I know their tech rep was very helpful at the show in Newport this year. It came with the boat, and I've been impressed with its performance so far.

Don Z.

Stiletto
03-15-2006, 10:40 PM
What is it about the propane units that cause insurance problems?. I am sure that there are units available that dont have pilot lights or any other unattended flame. It seems odd that a diesel burner would be ok in a situation where propane wouldnt.

Stiletto
What is it about the propane units that cause insurance problems?. I am sure that there are units available that dont have pilot lights or any other unattended flame. It seems odd that a diesel burner would be ok in a situation where propane wouldnt.

Stiletto

Peter Malcolm Jardine
03-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Propane is many times more volatile than diesel, and it's heavier than air.

Peter Malcolm Jardine

Peter Malcolm Jardine

Peter Malcolm Jardine
03-15-2006, 11:48 PM
For the record, my family had a wooden boat with a propane fridge and stove for over 20 years, and never had a single problem.... but... maintenance is the key. Insurance companies assume people are stupid and lazy...

Peter Malcolm Jardine
For the record, my family had a wooden boat with a propane fridge and stove for over 20 years, and never had a single problem.... but... maintenance is the key. Insurance companies assume people are stupid and lazy...

Peter Malcolm Jardine

Stiletto
03-16-2006, 02:52 AM
Those gas water heaters are common here, as are gas stoves. We have lots of boats and bugger all explosions.

Stiletto
Those gas water heaters are common here, as are gas stoves. We have lots of boats and bugger all explosions.

Stiletto

ron ll
03-16-2006, 11:20 AM
I believe the on-demand propane units like the Paloma or Bosch still have a pilot light even tho they have peizo elec ignition. The pilot is required to light the "blow torch" every time the hot water faucet is opened. So the sequence would be, turn on the marinetics switch at the tank, turn on the Bosch (peizo ignite the pilot light) take a shower or wash the dishes, then turn the unit and the tank back off.

ron ll
I believe the on-demand propane units like the Paloma or Bosch still have a pilot light even tho they have peizo elec ignition. The pilot is required to light the "blow torch" every time the hot water faucet is opened. So the sequence would be, turn on the marinetics switch at the tank, turn on the Bosch (peizo ignite the pilot light) take a shower or wash the dishes, then turn the unit and the tank back off.

ron ll

mariner2k
03-17-2006, 07:58 AM
I do exactly what ron says. I have a small paloma and it works well. Nothing like a hot showe. The only issue I have is that regulating the heat can be tricky.

mariner2k
I do exactly what ron says. I have a small paloma and it works well. Nothing like a hot showe. The only issue I have is that regulating the heat can be tricky.

mariner2k