PDA

View Full Version : Varnishing spruce

kweimer
03-16-2015, 02:19 AM
I have a spruce mast on which the varnish has broken through in places. After prepping, I've laid on a coat of varnish where the varnish has broken through, but sadly the varnish soaks into the sanded wood, as you would expect, making the repaired spots much darker and more noticeable than the rest of the mast. I tried sealing the wood with S120, but of course the sealer made the wood darker as well. Does anybody out there know a trick for matching the existing yellowed spruce on the rest of the mast a bit better? Tks

slug
03-16-2015, 02:36 AM
Not possible. Both the wood and the varnish have changed colour with age. If you have the energy strip and re finish the whole mast. If not , just touch up, give the mast a few coats of varnish and live with it.

With boats its very time consuming and expensive to make things look new again. Many times its better to make things look well maintained

willin woodworks
03-16-2015, 06:23 AM
If you are really feeling energetic and you have unlimited patience you can tint the sanded wood with shellac. Start with some amber and tint it with any of the commercially available tints one drop at a time.
Shellac makes a great sealer and is a good primer for varnish.

Slug is right though; you're better off making it look well maintained.

richbeck
03-16-2015, 07:44 AM
This is part of what I do for a living. Without seeing the exact color, I would say a dye formula, using wood dye mixed as following:
50 grams denatured alcohol
8 - 10 drops yellow dye
1 drop orange dye
1 drop brown dye

Try applying above formula to a sample piece of wood and see where you are color wise. Add a drop at a time. Color will darken with each additional coat, and will be ready to recoat in a minute or so. If you are not adding color fast enough, just add a little more dye keeping the ratio the same once you get a color you like. Best control if you can bring it up to color in 4 or 5 coats or more rather than trying to achieve the final color too fast

Good Luck, Richard

Dan McCosh
03-16-2015, 08:36 AM
I have a spruce mast on which the varnish has broken through in places. After prepping, I've laid on a coat of varnish where the varnish has broken through, but sadly the varnish soaks into the sanded wood, as you would expect, making the repaired spots much darker and more noticeable than the rest of the mast. I tried sealing the wood with S120, but of course the sealer made the wood darker as well. Does anybody out there know a trick for matching the existing yellowed spruce on the rest of the mast a bit better? TksSpruce undergoes some pretty dramatic color changes induced vy UV. Generally, the repaired spots even out quite a lot in one season in the sun.

capefox
03-16-2015, 08:43 AM
Spruce undergoes some pretty dramatic color changes induced vy UV. Generally, the repaired spots even out quite a lot in one season in the sun.

I'm delighted to hear that, Dan. I built some spruce spars over the winter and I was unhappy with the anemic color it has. I began to wonder if I should have stained or oiled the wood rather. I hope to post before-and-after photos of the mast and boom at the beginning and end of the forthcoming season.

kweimer
03-16-2015, 11:48 PM
Thank you all. Good ideas.