PDA

View Full Version : Need Color Scheme Opinion

CJ
03-13-2015, 12:39 PM
Which of these colors should the motorwell be on my Ocean Pointer? Here's the palette:

Hull - black
Cockpit ceiling, center console and seat box - white
Cockpit floor - beige non-skid
Forward deck, stern deck and gunwales - beige non-skid

So which one of these would look proper inside the motorwell?

Thanks!
CJ
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh147/cjg0601/97Decking_zps4b07ab9b.jpg

David G
03-13-2015, 12:45 PM
I would not do black. I'd want one of the lighter colors to better notice spills, stains, issues. OTOH... I seldom put a stark white on a boat anywhere where it might glare at me.

TerryLL
03-13-2015, 02:43 PM
You already have way too many colors on this boat. Black is not a good color for an epoxy-glued boat, even in a coolish northern climate, because of high heat absorption.

If you must have a black hull, then go with the beige for everything else, including the motor well. You might consider using a flattening agent to reduce glare from the decks. That turquoise bottom paint is a remarkable choice.

spirit
03-13-2015, 02:45 PM
If that black is over epoxy, change the color to something lighter, to let the epoxy live in the hot sun.
I would not want to look at something white anywhere. Try something like beige.
Do the motor well in beige also, so that you can see things in there.

Steamboat
03-13-2015, 03:38 PM
This looks like new decking and a new sole on an existing boat. The black looks like it has been there for a while. To me the motor well should be beige like the floor. I'd consider using red or black bottom paint. White for the rest as you suggest would be fine but you could use the beige without the anti-skid. Buy beige w/o anti-skid and add anti-skid only to the parts where you need it.

CJ
03-14-2015, 08:30 AM
Beige in the motorwell it is then; that's what I was thinking too.

Comments on a couple posts:
The bottom is Interlux Micron CSC "Green" not turquoise, must have been the camera flash...
I guess you could call it an "old new boat" by this point. It's a new build, but it's been four years since I started. Time to get her DONE!
I'm going to ponder my choice of black as well.

Thanks!
CJ

woodpile
03-14-2015, 08:52 AM
Was never a big fan of black, however, Dave's boat on "Wicked Tuna", TUNA.COM, looks pretty sharp. Add "TUNA.COM II" to your transom and between having such a pretty boat and a name like that you will definitely turn heads. Nice job.

Breakaway
03-14-2015, 09:00 AM
Id go with white and then paint a rectangle of the beige right in front of the motor. Grease from the steering and tilt tube will not show or look as grungy on the beige. Plus the two tone will look sharp Kevin Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

CJ
03-14-2015, 10:30 AM
If I could catch tuna like that, I'd paint it to look like a giraffe and maybe even name it (gulp) pinwheel! Can't wait to see Dave's new boat; might be at the Maine Boatbuilders Show if its ready in time; wish I could go...

JimConlin
03-14-2015, 11:09 AM
I'd go with beige, hold the non-skid.

woodpile
03-14-2015, 03:05 PM
If I could catch tuna like that, I'd paint it to look like a giraffe and maybe even name it (gulp) pinwheel! Can't wait to see Dave's new boat; might be at the Maine Boatbuilders Show if its ready in time; wish I could go...

Hope you're right on that CJ, heading up to the show next Fri.

http://www.mainebuiltboats.com/?p=2111